1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 03:28
    "The earliest substantial source of information about the Magi is the Greek historian Herodotus. Living in the fifth century B.C.E., Herodotus recorded that the Magi belonged to a Persian priestly class who specialized in astrology, interpretation of dreams, and casting of spells. In Herodotus’ time, the religion of Persia was Zoroastrianism. Hence, the Magi he spoke about were likely Zoroastrian priests. “In a more general sense,” says The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, “a mágos in the Hellenistic world had supernatural knowledge and ability and was sometimes a practitioner of magic.”
    A number of early “Christian” commentators, such as Justin Martyr, Origen, and Tertullian, described the Magi who visited Jesus as astrologers. For example, Tertullian wrote in his book On Idolatry: “We know the mutual alliance of magic and astrology. The interpreters of the stars, then, were the first . . . to present Him [Jesus] ‘gifts.’” In harmony with this understanding, many Bible translations render magoi “astrologers.”
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 06:51
    Originally posted by galveston75
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_Magi
    Normally people give references to back up statements .... 🙄
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    25 Dec '13 03:12
    #1 Bible never states it was 3 wise men #2 they were Magi from the east who knew very well what the star meant at least according to the biblical account #3 these Magi caused a stir when they arrived in Jerusalem

Manny
  4. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    25 Dec '13 03:13
    Jehovah's Witnesses
    Among Jehovah's Witnesses the Star of Bethlehem is seen as a product of Satan, rather than a sign from God, since the star led the astrologers to Jerusalem where they met King Herod's plan to kill Jesus. Remember the Star did not guide the astrologers directly to Jesus in Bethlehem, rather, they were led to Jerusalem where they came in touch with King Herod, who wanted to kill Jesus.

Source Wiki

Manny
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    25 Dec '13 03:18
    BTW I'm not saying Christmas is a Holiday that is sanctioned by God as a matter of fact I think probably not at least in what we celebrate in these modern times.

Manny
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    25 Dec '13 03:241 edit
    I see Him, but not now;
    I behold Him, but not near;
    A Star shall come out of Jacob;
    A Scepter shall rise out of Israel,
    And batter the brow of Moab,
    And destroy all the sons of tumult

One of the popular theories is that during the Babylonian exile that Daniel and His contemporaries taught the wise men of that time about the God of Israel and the prophecies such as the one above. The wise men carried on their beliefs (Zoroastrianism / Magi ) so they were always looking for this star after the time of the Exile and Daniel. Of course it is just theory.

Manny
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Dec '13 14:58
    Originally posted by menace71
    Jehovah's Witnesses
    Among Jehovah's Witnesses the Star of Bethlehem is seen as a product of Satan, rather than a sign from God, since the star led the astrologers to Jerusalem where they met King Herod's plan to kill Jesus. Remember the Star did not guide the astrologers directly to Jesus in Bethlehem, rather, they were led to Jerusalem where they came in touch with King Herod, who wanted to kill Jesus.

Source Wiki

Manny
    Wow... just... wow. (Although not all that surprising.)
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '13 16:57
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Wow... just... wow. (Although not all that surprising.)
    unicorns!
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '13 17:30
    Jehovah's Witnesses

Source Wiki

Manny
    It's a different religion with a different Jesus. They admit here in this forum to having 2 gods and 2 saviours. Nothing should surprise Christians about the Jehovah's Witness cult.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Dec '13 15:072 edits
    Jehovah's Witnesses

Source Wiki

Manny

I think the JWs are wrong on that.

The wise men (some plural number of wise men with three gifts) followed the star. They assumed that Jerusalem was surely the place where everyone would be eager to give out information about their born King of the Jews. NOT!

The star did not lead them to Jerusalem. They ASSUMED that in that religious center would be the information they needed. I don't see why they would not have known where Jerusalem was.

When they left the city it says the star re-appeared. So I think they went to the religious center under presumption. This caused a lot of deaths because the Christ was opposed by the power structures from the very beginning.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree