The three wise men?

The three wise men?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
24 Dec 13

Who were these guys?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
24 Dec 13

Originally posted by galveston75
Who were these guys?
Larry, Moe and Curly.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
24 Dec 13

Originally posted by rwingett
Larry, Moe and Curly.
lol. Could be......

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 Dec 13

Who were these guys?
If you are referring to the time of the birth of Christ then the Bible says nothing about three wise men. It refers to just 'wise men'. Where did you get the 'three' from? I bet you assumed and assumed and assumed.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
24 Dec 13

Larry, Moe and Curly.
I always thought it was Moe, Larry and Curley.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
24 Dec 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Rajk999
If you are referring to the time of the birth of Christ then the Bible says nothing about three wise men. It refers to just 'wise men'. Where did you get the 'three' from? I bet you [b]assumed and assumed and assumed.[/b]
To answer your as usual "rudish" comment. I'm only repeating what the false traditions suggest!!!!!!!

The Encyclopedia Americana explains: “Nativity plays early became a part of the Christmas celebration . . . The representation in church of the crèche [the manger scene] is said to have been begun by Saint Francis.” These plays featuring the birth of Christ were performed in the churches during the beginning of the colonization of Mexico. They were organized by Franciscan monks in order to teach the Indians about the Nativity. Later the posadas became more popular. Whatever the original intention behind them, the way the posadas are held today speaks for itself. If you are in Mexico during this season, you can see or sense something that a writer for El Universal highlighted in his comment: “The posadas, which were a way to remind us of the pilgrimage of Jesus’ parents looking for a shelter where the Child God could be born, are today only days of drunkenness, excesses, gluttony, vanities, and more and more crime.”
The idea of the nacimiento emerged during Colonial times from the original live representations in churches. While some find it attractive, does it correctly represent what the Bible says? That is a valid question. When the so-called three wise men—who in fact were astrologers—visited, Jesus and his family were no longer living in a stable. Time had passed, and the family was living in a house. You will find it interesting to note this detail in the inspired record at Matthew 2:1, 11.

((((( You can also note that the Bible does not say how many astrologers there were.)))))))

In Latin America, the three wise men replace the idea of Santa Claus. Still, as is done in other lands, many parents hide toys in the home. Then on the morning of January 6, the children look for them, as if the three wise men brought them. This is a money-making time for toy sellers, and some have made a fortune on what many honesthearted people recognize is just a fantasy. The myth of the three wise men is losing credibility among a goodly number, even among little children. Though some are displeased that this myth is losing believers, what can anyone expect of a fantasy maintained only for the sake of tradition and for commercial convenience?
Christmas, or the Nativity, was not celebrated by early Christians. One encyclopedia says about this: “The celebration was not observed in the first centuries of the Christian church, since the Christian usage in general was to celebrate the death of remarkable persons rather than their birth.” The Bible links the celebration of birthdays with pagans, not with God’s true worshipers.—Matthew 14:6-10.
This does not, of course, mean that it is not beneficial to learn and remember the actual events involved in the birth of the Son of God. The factual Bible account provides important insights and lessons for all those who want to do God’s will.

w

Moves
24 Dec 13

Larry, Moe and Curly.
Oh, a wise guy, eh?

Yuk, yuk, yuk...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
24 Dec 13

Who were these guys?
Take your pick:

Tom, Dick & Harry.
Fatso, Stinky & Casper
Balthazar, Melkor & Casper
Athos, Porthos and Aramis
Domingo, Carreras and Pavarotti

SERIOUSLT
Weren't the Magi a creation of Matthew in order to "big up" Jesus's birth.
Don't the other gospels stress Jesus's humble birth?

(Or that could be the other way around - I've had a drink and cant be bothered gooogling)

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
24 Dec 13

Then on the morning of January 6, the children look for them, as if the three wise men brought them.
My Spanish teacher used to tell us how he spent Christmas in UK (and got presents) then went to Spain for the New Year (and got more presents on the 6th). I thought that was cool (when I was 12!!)

Isnt the 6th "Kings' Day"? and the official end of Christmastide?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
24 Dec 13

When the so-called three wise men—who in fact were astrologers—visited, .
Not saying you are wrong but I have never heard this before! I thought
they were advised by astrologers! .... Any references?

w

Moves
24 Dec 13

I knew a woman who said that the 3 wise men story was the reason she did not believe the Bible.

She just rolled her eyes and said, "Three wise men? As if....." 😵

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 Dec 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Just another jw made up story. You see the jws condemn birthday celebrations but clearly the wise men were there to celebrate his birth, so they changed it from wise men to astrologers searching for a star.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
24 Dec 13

Originally posted by caissad4
I always thought it was Moe, Larry and Curley.
I'm afraid that doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
24 Dec 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_Magi

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
24 Dec 13

Originally posted by Rajk999
Just another jw made up story. You see the jws condemn birthday celebrations but clearly the wise men were there to celebrate his birth, so they changed it from wise men to astrologers searching for a star.
Matthew 2:7
Amplified Bible (AMP)
7 Then Herod sent for the wise men [astrologers] secretly, and [a]accurately to the last point ascertained from them the time of the appearing of the star [that is, [b]how long the star had made itself visible since its rising in the east].

Matthew 2:7
Expanded Bible (EXB)
7 Then Herod ·had a secret meeting with [privately summoned] the ·wise men [astrologers; magi; v. 1] and ·learned [inquired] from them the exact time ·they first saw the star [the star appeared].

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200000448?q=magi&p=par