1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 May '18 10:02
    The Triumph of Christianity: How a Forbidden Religion Swept the World [2018]

From the bestselling authority on early Christianity, the story of how Christianity grew from a religion of twenty or so peasants in rural Galilee to the dominant religion in the West in less than four hundred years.

Christianity didn’t have to become the dominant religion in the West. It easily could have remained a sect of Judaism fated to have the historical importance of the Sadducees or the Essenes. In The Triumph of Christianity, Bart Ehrman, a master explainer of Christian history, texts, and traditions, shows how a religion whose first believers were twenty or so illiterate day laborers in a remote part of the empire became the official religion of Rome, converting some thirty million people in just four centuries. The Triumph of Christianity combines deep knowledge and meticulous research in an eye-opening, immensely readable narrative that upends the way we think about the single most important cultural transformation our world has ever seen—one that revolutionized art, music, literature, philosophy, ethics, economics, and law." [Amazon]

Does anyone who's read any of Bart D. Ehrman's 30 or so books ~ or this one ~ have any thoughts about his work?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 May '18 16:47
    The triumph of Christianity is succinctly explained in this passage from the book of Acts:

“Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.

Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.

And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,

Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them.

Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;

And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.

For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.

After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.

And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.

And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.”

(Acts 5:25-42)
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 May '18 17:02
    Originally posted by @fmf
    [b]The Triumph of Christianity: How a Forbidden Religion Swept the World [2018]

[quote]From the bestselling authority on early Christianity, the story of how Christianity grew from a religion of twenty or so peasants in rural Galilee to the dominant religion in the West in less than four hundred years.

Christianity didn’t have to become the dominant r ...[text shortened]... 's read any of Bart D. Ehrman's 30 or so books ~ or this one ~ have any thoughts about his work?[/b]
    Not read any of Ehrman's books, but readily agree that Christianity has had a significant impact on art, music, literature, philosophy, ethics, economics, and law.

No Christians have responded to your post yet, but will be interested to hear any of their observations about Ehrman's writings especially in light of his own loss of faith.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 May '18 17:11
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Not read any of Ehrman's books, but readily agree that Christianity has had a significant impact on art, music, literature, philosophy, ethics, economics, and law.

No Christians have responded to your post yet, but will be interested to hear any of their observations about Ehrman's writings especially in light of his own loss of faith.
    You posted some claptrap from Ehrman once (think it dealt with Gospel accounts of Jesus’ birthplace) that was easily debunked.

Based on that alone, I’ve zero interest in this foggy-minded charlatan.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 May '18 17:16

[quote]From the bestselling authority on early Christianity, the story of how Christianity grew from a religion of twenty or so peasants in rural Galilee to the dominant religion in the West in less than four hundred years.

Christianity didn’t have to become the dominant r ...[text shortened]... 's read any of Bart D. Ehrman's 30 or so books ~ or this one ~ have any thoughts about his work?[/b]
    When a Christian does finally reply to your post, will be curious if they put his loss of faith down to mental illness. (Or make some ill-informed generalization that people with mental health issues lack insight into their condition).
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 May '18 17:38
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    When a Christian does finally reply to your post, will be curious if they put his loss of faith down to mental illness. (Or make some ill-informed generalization that people with mental health issues lack insight into their condition).
    Is that team of mental health professionals you allegedly manage on vacation in Bermuda again? Geez. Where can I sign up for that gig?

Does someone who wants to join that team have to be a real mental health professional, or can they be a pretend one like you? Is it possible to join a team that exists only in someone’s imagination?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 May '18 21:321 edit

We can only wonder what Jesus would think about this “triumph.” That is, we who don’t claim to know what Jesus thinks.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 May '18 23:131 edit
    Originally posted by @js357
    We can only wonder what Jesus would think about this “triumph.” That is, we who don’t claim to know what Jesus thinks.
    John 8
    43“Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word.
    45“But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '18 05:14
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    John 8
    43“Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word.
    Jesus said that to the Pharisees, who denied His deity just like you do.

How ironic that you’re quoting it.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 May '18 05:29
    John 8
    Why do you think "My" is written with a capital letter?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '18 05:33
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Why do you think "My" is written with a capital letter?
    Then there’s reality.

If you can plainly state your case and make a cogent argument, do so.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '18 05:42
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Then there’s reality.

Heck, if I wanted to start posting as ToO, I could just repeat those catch phrases and ignore 95 percent of the questions that come my way and expose my false doctrines.

And I’d have to copy-and-paste the same one or two passages from the Bible over and over again.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 May '18 05:50
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Then there’s reality.

😵
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 May '18 20:39
    John 8
    A fuller reading:

“Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father—God.”

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. 46 Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? 47 He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”

Why hold back? Are you unwilling to say I am of my father the devil?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 May '18 20:552 edits
    Originally posted by @js357
    A fuller reading:

“Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father—God.”

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of y ...[text shortened]... use you are not of God.”

Why hold back? Are you unwilling to say I am of my father the devil?
    My post was in response to the following:
    <<We can only wonder what Jesus would think about this “triumph.”>>

It wasn't directed at you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree