1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 13:03
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You put religions in too high a light. It doesn't take a devil to make a religion. Case in point: Scientology. Same with christianity.
    why is it the same with christianity? you are claiming there is a connection but you don't offer any proof.

here is how your logic goes:
    Object A is deemed characteristic X by some people and was created in manner Y
    therefore you conclude that object B, because it is deemed characteristic X by some people must have also been created in manner Y

not to mention that in this object B predates A by about 2000 years and there is no common characteristics between them other than different people in each case calling A and B religions for different reasons.
  2. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    04 Feb '11 08:35
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I made a comment once saying, "Are you willing to risk your eternity on your own opinion" and someone said in a response that i could be risking it because there are other religions. Yes and that is true. But Christianity has the only one that someone was sacrificed for sins and rose from the grave. Buddist and hindus might be right but i wouldn't want to ri ...[text shortened]... e.com/watch?v=FKKQVmNERSQ
    There are many other sites that you can look at that can prove it.
    "But Christianity has the only one that someone was sacrificed for sins and rose from the grave. Buddist and hindus might be right but i wouldn't want to risk that."

You opened a thread about Islam, but nevertheless:
    interesting, you admit that Buddhism and Hinduism might be right. Does that mean that Christianity might be wrong? Or can they all be right? In which case it doesn't matter what one believes, right?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Feb '11 08:44
    I believe it was a man made religion starting from the catholics.
    Do you genuinely believe this? Or are you one of those Christians who believes that anything goes when it comes to saving souls (eg lies, fabrication etc).
    If you genuinely believe this, then would you like to discuss it ie why you believe it and what sources of information you rely upon?
    I already pointed out that your first reference disagrees with you yet you have not responded. Are you just trolling perhaps?
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    04 Feb '11 14:58
    Originally posted by souverein
    [b]"But Christianity has the only one that someone was sacrificed for sins and rose from the grave. Buddist and hindus might be right but i wouldn't want to risk that."

You opened a thread about Islam, but nevertheless:
    interesting, you admit that Buddhism and Hinduism might be right. Does that mean that Christianity might be wrong? Or can they all be right? In which case it doesn't matter what one believes, right?[/b]
    I was making a point but I know that they hindu is wrong and buddism is from hinduism so that is wrong too. These people are going to hell not because they are these religions but because they reject Christ.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    04 Feb '11 14:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Do you genuinely believe this? Or are you one of those Christians who believes that anything goes when it comes to saving souls (eg lies, fabrication etc).
    If you genuinely believe this, then would you like to discuss it ie why you believe it and what sources of information you rely upon?
    I already pointed out that your first reference disagrees with you yet you have not responded. Are you just trolling perhaps?
    Did you look at the youtube link?
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 23:272 edits
    I was making a point but I know that they hindu is wrong and buddism is from hinduism so that is wrong too. These people are going to hell not because they are these religions but because they reject Christ.
    Oddly enough it is not the case that Buddhism comes from Hinduism, which if anything is actually a more recent development than Buddhism. Now you might argue that both emerged historically from the same roots, but it destroys the argument you make.

Similarly, Christianity emerged from Judaism, and since you presumably think Judaism is wrong then that bodes ill for Christianity. Christianity also emerged from hellenistic philosophy, again rather inconveniently. If you seek differences between Jewish and Christian traditions you are forced to acknowledge the role of Greek philosophy. Just the idea of the Holy Trinity (in order to account for the notion that Jesus was God) was only conceivable with the help of Plato.

Egyptian religion (going back far beyond the history of Israel) was important as an influence, as was the religious history of the Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians.

To say these religions reject Christ is again taking things too far. Islam has a great respect for Christ and the Christian religion, as also for Judaism. It was Christians who were (and remain) intolerant and oppressive to their sister religions.

So whatever point you imagine you are making it reduces to plain ignorant bigotry because it is insulting to others.
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 23:41
    I made a comment once saying, "Are you willing to risk your eternity on your own opinion" and someone said in a response that i could be risking it because there are other religions. Yes and that is true. But Christianity has the only one that someone was sacrificed for sins and rose from the grave. Buddist and hindus might be right but i wouldn't want to ri ...[text shortened]... e.com/watch?v=FKKQVmNERSQ
    There are many other sites that you can look at that can prove it.
    Tedious this. Pascal was the originator of the gambler's argument for faith. He was interesting and original. You are not.

I am disturbed that you reference tasteless nonsense such as your youtube link. I wonder what childish fantasy deludes you to think this has any merit whatever?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 06:00
    Did you look at the youtube link?
    No. Internet here is slow and expensive so I tend to avoid youtube unless I am really interested.
    Does the link answer my question? Are you in the video?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 08:10
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Oddly enough it is not the case that Buddhism comes from Hinduism, which if anything is actually a more recent development than Buddhism. Now you might argue that both emerged historically from the same roots, but it destroys the argument you make.

Similarly, Christianity emerged from Judaism, and since you presumably think Judaism is wrong then that bo ...[text shortened]... u imagine you are making it reduces to plain ignorant bigotry because it is insulting to others.
    Gosh, haven't you been a breath of fresh air today.

Thank you
  10. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 09:32
    You contradict yourself. You wrote earlier rather revealing:
    "Buddhist and Hindus might be right.
    Hang this for a while above your bed and reflect on it.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 17:08
    Originally posted by souverein
    You contradict yourself. You wrote earlier rather revealing:
    [b]"Buddhist and Hindus might be right.

Hang this for a while above your bed and reflect on it.[/b]
    I was just making a point. Don't forget it is words on a page you didn't hear my tone of voice when typing it.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 21:49
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

The Bible states: "I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt..."
    where does it state that? what book, chapter and verse?

i suspect you of pulling words out of uranus. how about you give links?
    Hosea 13:4 according to a quick Google.

I"ll guess you'll tell us the translation is wrong though ... 😞
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '11 13:10
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Hosea 13:4 according to a quick Google.

I"ll guess you'll tell us the translation is wrong though ... 😞
    I, the LORD, have been your God

since the time

you were in Egypt.

I am the only God you know,

the only one who can save.

king james:
    Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.

Yet I have been the LORD your God
    Since the land of Egypt;

“I have been the Lord your God
    ever since I brought you out of Egypt.
    You must acknowledge no God but me,
    for there is no other savior.

several translations. what do you think is more probable? that god says he is the same as an egyptian god? that same god the flips out whenever someone whorships anything other than him? or that god is refering to a point in time: "i have been your god since that time" ?
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 00:10
    If you read the Koran it is the opposite if the Bible.
    The muslims are looking for there messiah with is the christians second coming of Jesus. And the muslims see Jesus as thier anti-messiah were we see their messiah as the anti-christ. So somewere mohammed was looking at the bible and writing it the opposite.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree