1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 17:51
    The Truth

"I think everyone chooses to believe what they think is the truth. That is why most of us do not describe it as 'choice' as we feel the result is forced by the evidence." -twhitehead Thread 159766 (Suzianne's "Adieu" thread: Page 10) Two Questions: 1) How do you define truth? 2) What do you choose to believe to think is the truth in the context of our Red Hot Pawn Spirituality Forum's suggested topics: "Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 18:19
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]The Truth

"I think everyone chooses to believe what they think is the truth. That is why most of us do not describe it as 'choice' as we feel the result is forced by the evidence." -twhitehead Thread 159766 (Suzianne's "Adieu" thread: Page 10) Two Questions: 1) [i]How do you define truth? 2) What do you choose to believe t ...[text shortened]... sted topics: "Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."?[/b]
    GB: "...choose to believe to think is the truth..."

Is that grammatical? It certainly isn't what tw said.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 18:431 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    GB: "...choose to believe to think is the truth..."

Is that grammatical? It certainly isn't what tw said.
    "I think everyone chooses to believe what they think is the truth..." .-twhitehead

"Two Questions: 1) How do you define truth? 2) What do you choose to believe to think is the truth? (OP)

Thanks for christening the thread, JS. Yes, I chose to risk incidental criticism of an ungrammatical interrogative sentence construct in the interest of adherence to the actual root words in the context of twhitehead's original declarative text.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 18:51
    "I think everyone [b]chooses to believe what they think is the truth..." .-twhitehead

"Two Questions: 1) How do you define truth? 2) What do you choose to believe to think is the truth? (OP)

Thanks for christening the thread, JS. Yes, I chose to risk incidental criticism of an ungrammatical interrogative sentence construc ...[text shortened]... of adherence to the actual root words in the context of twhitehead's original declarative text.[/b]
    We'll see how that goes.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 19:161 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    We'll see how that goes.
    "I think everyone chooses to believe what they think is the truth..." .-twhitehead

Footnote: "chooses"/"choose" [human volition]; "to believe"/"to believe" [faith]; "they think"/"to think" [rational thought]. Incredible to realize our volition is so powerful that not even God's love can ignore it? Why? Because of His Justice [He's fair; and cannot revoke the capacity to choose/exercise volition which He's given us] and His Immutability [He never changes].

JS, I respect your calm objectivity and do hope you'll continue to contribute to the conversational questions in the OP. -Bob
  6. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 21:21
    A friend of mine wrote the following. It conveys what I think about truth:

Way before
    the birth of logic
    or season,
    there was this breath,
    this inner knowing, this burning ---
    the only true
    essence that stays here
    when everything else
    comes and goes -
    and I throw myself
    on her lap -

--Guthema Roba
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 08:20
    The Truth

"I think everyone chooses to believe what they think is the truth. That is why most of us do not describe it as 'choice' as we feel the result is forced by the evidence." -twhitehead Thread 159766 (Suzianne's "Adieu" thread: Page 10) Two Questions: 1) [i]How do you define truth? 2) What do you choose to believe to t ...[text shortened]... uggested topics: "Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."?
    "Two Questions: 1) [i]How do you define truth?" Conversational Definition: Ignorance and Falsehood equate to Darkness whereas Truth is Light [and it's often harsh]. "The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off." Mal Pancoast
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 15:34
    "Two Questions: 1) How do you define truth?" Conversational Definition: Ignorance and Falsehood equate to Darkness whereas Truth is Light [and it's often harsh]. "The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off." Mal Pancoast
    Footnote: Even those with negative volition have glimpsed the truth: you have to entertain the truth to reject it.
  9. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 16:03
    [b]The Truth

"I think everyone chooses to believe what they think is the truth. That is why most of us do not describe it as 'choice' as we feel the result is forced by the evidence." -twhitehead Thread 159766 (Suzianne's "Adieu" thread: Page 10) Two Questions: 1) [i]How do you define truth? 2) What do you choose to believe t ...[text shortened]... sted topics: "Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."?[/b]
    The OP is somewhat incomprehensible. However, I will attempt an answer to the two questions as I interpret them:

1) The truth is that which is rather than what simply appears to be the case. Although it is probably possible to know the truth, in many cases it is impossible to know that what we think is true is actually true.

2) This is a slightly nonsensical question grammatically, and unfortunately I do not have time to craft any kind of meaningful answer at the moment. Maybe later!

--- Penguin
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 17:49
    Originally posted by Penguin
    The OP is somewhat incomprehensible. However, I will attempt an answer to the two questions as I interpret them:

1) The truth
    is that which is rather than what simply appears to be the case. Although it is probably possible to know the truth, in many cases it is impossible to know that what we think is true is actually true.

2) This is a sli ...[text shortened]... I do not have time to craft any kind of meaningful answer at the moment. Maybe later!

--- Penguin
    Hi, Penguin. Thanks for your reply. With reference to the original post's question "2)", let's clarify the question: What do you believe to be [or accept as] the truth in each of the suggested forum topics "the supernatural, religion, and the life after."?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 18:06

#1. Biblically speaking, the Truth is a person, Jesus Christ.

#2. I choose to believe to think the truth is what the Truth tells me the truth is.

Why do I always have to feel so simple every time I answer questions like that? 😛 🙂
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 18:242 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Two Questions: 1) How do you define truth? 2) What do you choose to believe to think is the truth? (OP)

#2. I choose to believe to think the truth is what the Truth tells me the truth is.

Why do I always have to feel so simple every time I answer questions like that? 😛 🙂[/b]
    Hi, Joe. Please see the clarified question in my reply to Penguin: "What do you believe to be [or accept as] the truth
    in each of the suggested forum topics "the supernatural, religion, and the life after."?" Thanks for your reply.

Edit Note: Ever notice the linear architecture of the topics Russ suggested for this spirituality forum:

"the supernatural" ) ------------------------------ ["religion"] ----------------------------- ( "and the life after"
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 22:15
    Hi, Joe. Please see the clarified question in my reply to Penguin: "What do you believe to be [or accept as] the truth
    in each of the suggested forum topics "the supernatural, religion, and the life after."?" Thanks for your reply.

Edit Note: Ever notice the linear architecture of the topics Russ suggested for this spirituality forum:

"th ...[text shortened]... ------------------------------ ["religion"] ----------------------------- ( "and the life after"
    Same answer. 😉
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 22:221 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Two Questions: 1) How do you define truth? 2) What do you choose to believe to think is the truth? (OP)

Why do I always have to feel so simple every time I answer questions like that? 😛 🙂[/b]
    "Quranically" speaking, the Truth is a person, Mohammed.

I.e. you choose to believe to think the truth is what Mohammed tells you the truth is

Why do I always have to feel so simple every time I answer questions like that?
    hmmm ...
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 08:13
    "Two Questions: 1) How do you define truth?" Conversational Definition: Ignorance and Falsehood equate to Darkness whereas Truth is Light [and it's often harsh]. "The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off." Mal Pancoast
    Footnote: It's an unsettling experience to be in the dark waiting for receipt of an IRS Audit; or the diagnostic test results
    of a medical condition; or the outcome of a jury trial; or the resolution of a "what if..." speculation in the spiritual realm.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree