1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 17:56
    may well just be what i would call the maggot food theory. surely none of you believe that the birds of the sky, when they die, move on to some sort of bird afterlife. (maybe some do...yikes!). no, rather the bird flies until he falls and then he just becomes maggot food. why should this not also hold for humans? why is it so hard to accept that our purpose is just to enjoy life while it's in our grasp and then move on to help out the maggots? this view seems realistic, logical, and interestingly, it seems MUCH more faithful to Occam's Razor than faith-based theories that entertain the notion of afterlife.

why, then, is the maggot food theory so sparsely championed? i think i know the answer, but i am hoping to hear other opinions.
  2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 18:28
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    may well just be what i would call the maggot food theory. surely none of you believe that the birds of the sky, when they die, move on to some sort of bird afterlife. (maybe some do...yikes!). no, rather the bird flies until he falls and then he just becomes maggot food. why should this not also hold for humans? why is it so hard to accept that our ...[text shortened]... eory so sparsely championed? i think i know the answer, but i am hoping to hear other opinions.
    I'm not sure how you can go from - we are all just maggot food in the end - to - our purpose is to enjoy life while we have it, or any other purpose. If all we can say is we live, then die, then become maggot food - then there is apparently no "purpose" to be known. Things just are what they are. Nothing more and nothing less.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 18:341 edit
    Originally posted by Coletti
    I'm not sure how you can go from - we are all just maggot food in the end - to - our purpose is to enjoy life while we have it, or any other purpose. If all we can say is we live, then die, then become maggot food - then there is apparent ...[text shortened]... n. Things just are what they are. Nothing more and nothing less.
    are you saying that is not logically possible that one can enjoy life if in fact he is to end up maggot food? that doesn't follow at all.

a discussion of what can or cannot constitute 'purpose' is rather open-ended. but i think your definition of purpose must be too narrow if you think it supports a claim that there can be no purpose without afterlife (which is how i interpret your claims).
  4. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 18:37
    are you saying that is not logically possible that one can enjoy life if in fact he is to end up maggot food? that doesn't follow at all.

a discussion of what can or cannot constitute 'purpose' is rather open-ended. but i think your definition of purpose must be too narrow if you think it supports a claim that there can be no purpose without afterlife (which is how i interpret your claims).
    Feel free to define purpose then. I think it requires something more than mere existence.
  5. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 18:49
    What needs to be clarified here is what question is actually being asked. This is how I read it, and I hope I'm right because it is one of my favorite topics of discussion:

Are we or are we not seperate from the animals, and if we are how so?

LJ seems to be suggesting that we are not in that we are maggot food, yet at the same time he suggests that we are seperate with his entreaty that we enjoy life--something that mere maggot food shouldn't be able to do (just fly and die, as in the bird example). So for a true oddity, so far in this discussion I would have to side with Coletti, for though I don't agree with him as to what seperates us from the animals or what the nature of that seperation is, I do think that there is something.

... --- ...
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 18:54
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Feel free to define purpose then. I think it requires something more than mere existence.
    defining purpose is not the main purpose of this thread. likewise, you should also feel free to offer your own definition if you want to continue the discussion. i would rather talk about the imminent possibilty of becoming maggot food. do you admit that it is a logical possibility that you will simply become maggot food when you croak?
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 18:581 edit
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    What needs to be clarified here is what question is actually being asked. This is how I read it, and I hope I'm right because it is one of my favorite topics of discussion:

Are we or are we not seperate from the animals, and if we ...[text shortened]... seperation is, I do think that there is something.

... --- ...
    no, i do not think you have properly characterized my position. so you are probably right that the question needs to be clarified on my part. i absolutely do think there is a difference between us and the animals -- namely, the ability to reason. however, i do not think that this difference precludes the possibility that our endings may in fact be the same -- both of us ending up as maggot food. there is no reason in my mind why we cannot enjoy life (unlike perhaps the bird) and yet still end up simply as maggot food, altogether just like the bird.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 19:44
    may well just be what i would call the maggot food theory. surely none of you believe that the birds of the sky, when they die, move on to some sort of bird afterlife. (maybe some do...yikes!). no, rather the bird flies until he falls and then he just becomes maggot food. why should this not also hold for humans? why is it so hard to accept that our ...[text shortened]... eory so sparsely championed? i think i know the answer, but i am hoping to hear other opinions.
    Well I believe that our bodies do become maggot food. But I believe that we have an eternal soul as well.

Btw: Have you read the book I suggested earlier? I believe you will find your answer if you read it.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 19:49
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Well I believe that our bodies do become maggot food. But I believe that we have an eternal soul as well.

Btw: Have you read the book I suggested earlier? I believe you will find your answer if you read it.
    thanks for willfully dodging the question. you know perfectly well what i mean by becoming 'maggot food'. again i ask: do you admit it is a logical possibility that you will simply become maggot food when you die?

no, truthfully, i have not read the book that you suggested ('why i believe' i think was the name). i am not above reading it, however. how about this: i'll read your book if you'll read one of my choosing. are you up for it?
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 20:08
    thanks for willfully dodging the question. you know perfectly well what i mean by becoming 'maggot food'. again i ask: do you admit it is a logical possibility that you will simply become maggot food when you die?

no, truthfully, i have not read the book that you suggested ('why i believe' i think was the name). i am not above reading it, however. how about this: i'll read your book if you'll read one of my choosing. are you up for it?

Well I suppose it depends how you define "logical". To answer your question: No. For me it would not be "logical". My logic tells me that the Bible is the truth. Do you want to know why? Because I had a meeting with the living God of the Bible. I have a living relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. It was a life changing experience. I experienced the power of salvation. I experienced being set free from the bondage of sin. I experienced the joy of salvation. I experienced the true joy of being forgiven. I experienced something which I fail to explain to you in words. I experienced the emptiness of my life being fulfilled. I experienced something which satisfied the vacuum within my soul. I believe that I found true peace and happiness. I found that the word of God, the Bible was the truth. I found something identical to that which millions of people have found and experienced throughout history. I cannot logically explain how this could be unreal. Thus it would not "logically" make sense for me to become 'maggot food' when I die.

I believe that the most logical thing that could happen would be for the promises of the Bible to become true as all the other promises came true in the Bible that I have believed.

But then of course this would all sound to you as hoggwash if you have not experienced it yourself.

how about this: i'll read your book if you'll read one of my choosing. are you up for it?

Sure.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 20:20
    [b]thanks for willfully dodging the question. you know perfectly well what i mean by becoming 'maggot food'. again i ask: do you admit it is a logical possibility that you will simply become maggot food when you die?

Well I suppose it depends how you define "logical". To answer your question: No. For me it would not be "logical". My logic te ...[text shortened]... this: i'll read your book if you'll read one of my choosing. are you up for it?[/b]

Sure.[/b]
    you demonstrate a disastrous understanding of logic and what is meant by 'logical possibility'.

i'll PM you with the name and author/details of the book i'd like you to read (it's not on me right now), and would appreciate it if you would do the same. thanks.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 20:27
    [b]thanks for willfully dodging the question. you know perfectly well what i mean by becoming 'maggot food'. again i ask: do you admit it is a logical possibility that you will simply become maggot food when you die?

Well I suppose it depends how you define "logical". To answer your question: No. For me it would not be "logical". My logic te ...[text shortened]... this: i'll read your book if you'll read one of my choosing. are you up for it?[/b]

Sure.[/b]
    You met Jesus personally? Was he wearing the high pumps and black makeup like the night I met "him"?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 21:26

Sure.[/b]
    ok, here is a book for you to read:
    Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. What do you want me to read?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree