1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 20:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well String Theory and its bretheren posit's 10 or 11 dimension. That's in the same catatory I guess. The problem then becomes, can you find evidence for other dimensions? One such effort is analyzing the force of gravity, vis a vis, the famous 1/R^2 relation. Inverse proportionality, so if two masses are at 1 unit apart and the attraction is 1 when they go ...[text shortened]... rfere with the gravity measurement. Tough problem but the experimentalists are a tricky bunch.
    I've never been able to get a grip on String Theory though I know the basic outlines. Can you suggest any links that may lift this veil of ignorance?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 20:37
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I've never been able to get a grip on String Theory though I know the basic outlines. Can you suggest any links that may lift this veil of ignorance?
    Give this one a try, three hour long video's:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 20:43
    Give this one a try, three hour long video's:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
    Yeah, I have the DVDs; maybe I'll take a look at it again too...
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 22:38
    Poking around for articles on Bell's Theorem, I found this fascinating article:

Does Objective Reality Exist, or is the Universe a Phantasm?

In 1982 a remarkable event took place. At the University of Paris a research team led by physicist Alain Aspect performed what may turn out to be one of the most important experiments of the 20th century. Yo ...[text shortened]... ot only compatible with, but supportive of, the concept of Brahman/Tao/Void.

Comments?
    Being the total idiot that I am (I've given up trying to persuade you otherwise No1 ) can I ask an idiot question?

How did they measure the two electrons interacting with each other over 10 billion miles? I'd love to see his ruler!

Also , how did they measure the instant of the interaction and discover it was happening faster than the speed of light?
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 23:10
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]I meant to mention that Medina proposes "...experimental results on the cutting edge of quantum mechanics are not only compatible with, but supportive of, the concept of..." God rather than that of "Brahman/Tao/Void."
    Perhaps there's no getting away from all these theories of what the 'ultimate reality' might be. I'm not sure why so many are compelled to take a definitive stance. Perhaps it's just foolishness.[/b]

Inspirational. Here are a few notes towards a theory of everything:

It used to be fashionable to believe that there are an infinite number of universes. We live in the one in which all particles can instantly communicate with each other.

These particles only appear to communicate instantaneously because the universe is much smaller than we used to think, just a few inches across, in fact.

When a particle has something to say, god tells all the others about it as soon as he can, and we all know how soon that is.

There is a Nobel prize reserved for the first person to demonstrate that reality is not a conceptual, but rather an emotional, state.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 23:34
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Yeah, I have the DVDs; maybe I'll take a look at it again too...
    I just finished watching it, except for the interactive modules. One thing new for me was the concept of communicating with intelligences in other universes a 'brane' away by beaming gravitational radiation.
    This follows from the idea that the reason gravity is so weak relative to electromagnatism is it leaks into other dimensions so the full strength is diluted by its interactions with any one dimension, so we only feel 1/10^21 of its full power in our universe, having shared part of itself with the rest of eternity. So if gravity can leak into other universes maybe we can vibrate the suckers so hard it gets noticed in that other universe and they ring back. All well and good but first we have to A) prove they exist (gravitons) and B) generate them powerful enough to be noticed elsewhere in other universes.
    As it happens, the new gravitational wave detectors are coming online, like LISA which strives to detect the rattling of the cosmos, but because these vibrations are so weak, we have to be able to detect vibrations on the order of a thousand's of the size of a proton to even have a chance at it. There are other schemes afoot which will make detectors in space, laser beams travelling a million km or more and reflecting back in a triangular arrangement that will reveal tiny tiny variations of the laser light that would be the signature of gravitational waves. But still that is only the detection of such waves.
    It might go as follows (my probably cocamamee ideas but here goes):
    Just as we over a hundred years ago developed methods of detecting electromagnetic radiation with extremely crude devices, these devices basically shook up a small test tube full of crystals in such a way as to reveal the presence of RF waves. At first we could detect only the crudest of waves because of the incredible insensitivity of the instruments of the day, they were called Coherers, here is a link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherer
    So time went on and we figured better and much much more sensitive ways to detect RF till now they are so dang sensitive we can here the rattling of the big bang itself which is still being refined and look at the information THAT gave us, the exact age of the universe for one.
    So in that light, our crude detectors will (if they work at all) give us a crude picture of the gravitaional radiation of say, two colliding black holes (a mind boggling idea in itself!) which as you might expect is the signiature of one of the most violent events in our known universe.
    So with the detection of such an event under our belts, we refine the detectors which would be on the order of the old coherers, and come up with vastly more sensitive detectors able to tease out smaller and smaller events, such as two stars orbiting one another, and maybe one day, vibrations that don't come from our universe at all but somewhere else. Now THAT would be something!
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 00:072 edits
    Does this help?

http://www.sukidog.com/jpierre/strings/tutor.htm

maybe this one?

http://superstringtheory.com/cosmo/cosmo5.html

use the advanced version if you like.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 03:101 edit
    I had a thought on the extra deminsional nature of gravity:
    If other universes are 'nearby' in a dimensional sense and they have black holes as well, and if there are events in our universe where black holes collide, and there are black holes colliding in these other universes, we might be able to read the signs of such in OUR universe because of the connection of gravity to other dimensions and therefore possibly other universes.
    Assuming of course we ever detect gravity waves in the first place. Lets hope for success of LISA.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 05:05
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Being the total idiot that I am (I've given up trying to persuade you otherwise No1 ) can I ask an idiot question?

How did they measure the two electrons interacting with each other over 10 billion miles? I'd love to see his ruler!

Also , how did they measure the instant of the interaction and discover it was happening faster than the speed of light?
    You are a total idiot and I'm not going to turn this into a dj2becker thread on evolution.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 12:38
    Originally posted by knightmeister

Where did you get 10 billion miles? All it takes is a few meters. Light travels at about a meter in 3 nanoseconds. So if two entangled particles shoot out in opposite directions and they both go through detectors say two meters apart, the one observed forces the one not observed to go to the opposite state but it's all in the timing. Two meters of separation, about 6 nanoseconds. Now thats a short amount of time for sure but measurable. So if it is shown the other particle reveals itself in say, 6 PICOseconds, then the interaction took place 1000 times the speed of light. I am just making up these numbers for sake of argument, but it should show the idea.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 13:04
    Well I watched the entire Elegant Universe series of Brian Greene and sent him an email, which is greene(AT)math.columbia.edu if anyone else wants to grill him. I asked him the same question I posted here, would a colliding pair of black holes in another universe, in string theory, give enough of a signal to be detected by LISA. And a few more comments. News at 11, if he replies.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 03:38
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Does this help?

http://www.sukidog.com/jpierre/strings/tutor.htm

maybe this one?

http://superstringtheory.com/cosmo/cosmo5.html

use the advanced version if you like.
    The non-advanced version made my ears bleed. 😞
  13. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 04:16
    You are a total idiot and I'm not going to turn this into a dj2becker thread on evolution.
    LOL!... interesting to know that dj2becker is quite famous here. Well, famous for the wrong reasons perhaps. Haven't been back here for quite a while now... wonder what has happened on his 'Absolute Morality' thread...
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 13:24
    The non-advanced version made my ears bleed. 😞
    Well its not as bad as all the plain weirdness of quantum mechanics. We are talking about how the universe is assembled, its not like its a hobby horse! The concepts are just as mind boggling for the scientists who thought it all through too. They can do some of the math but a lot of it is beyond them till some genius puts it all together and figures out a way past the current dilemma's or new observations point a new way out of these sticky wickets.
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 17:51
    Well its not as bad as all the plain weirdness of quantum mechanics. We are talking about how the universe is assembled, its not like its a hobby horse! The concepts are just as mind boggling for the scientists who thought it all through too. They can do some of the math but a lot of it is beyond them till some genius puts it all together and figures out a way past the current dilemma's or new observations point a new way out of these sticky wickets.
    here's a site for you:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/lie/lie.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree