Theist and Atheist - Of everything you have...

Theist and Atheist - Of everything you have...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Nov 05
1 edit

Originally posted by bbarr
Of course he does. I have it on good authority that his recent sabbatical partially consisted of a wholesale conversion to Scientology.
I certainly hope so; a prosleytizing Scientologist is just what this forum needs.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
26 Nov 05

Originally posted by Darfius
The evidence or argument that compels the mind to accept an assertion as true. ( proof at dictionary.com )

"Very likely to be true" is not the same as "is true". Proof is the state of being compelled to believe something "is true". Hence proof is subjective. If we both see a dead body with a gun next to it, that may be proof enough to someone that the person killed himself. To another, it may not be.
When we ask "what proof is there that P is true?" we are asking for evidence, for reasons to believe. You are mistakenly equating the proof of or for a proposition with whatever convinces. Proof is simply not a psychological notion, it is an epistemic one.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
26 Nov 05

Prove it.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
26 Nov 05

I did and still can (though it is much more refined) give ample evidence of God's existence.
Off you go, then. Can't wait to hear it.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Nov 05

Originally posted by David C
Off you go, then. Can't wait to hear it.
If I remember correctly, it had a lot to do with the inability of people today to find Jesus' body.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
26 Nov 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
If I remember correctly, it had a lot to do with the inability of people today to find Jesus' body.
Sort of like a "Where's Waldo" or "Carmen Sandiego" thing? How quaint.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
27 Nov 05

Originally posted by rwingett
You seem to be implying that I advocate a cold, sterile, remorseless type of austere logic and intellect, devoid of any emotion or passion. This is far from the truth. There is plenty of room for passion, aesthetics, metaphor and mythmaking without having to resort to the supernatural. There are many myths that societies indulge in that are not in any way r ...[text shortened]... as they always kept in mind that it was nothing more than speculation and not the absoute truth.
Nope, didn't mean to imply that. I don't think we're that far apart on this...

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
27 Mar 06

Originally posted by KnightWulfe
seen, read, studied, heard, etc... What, of that which diametrically opposes your belief, makes the most sense?

Atheists, What makes the most sense to you within theism?
Theists, what makes the most sense to you outside of your belief?
The thing that most makes sense to me about Atheism is it's resolute rejection of this God of the middle ages who sets fire to bushes and sends angels everywhere (which many Christians do not believe in anyway). Also , it's stand against creationists is good. Bunkum should be called bunkum wherever it's found. Christianity needs Atheism to give it a good kick up the proverbials.

D

Moves
28 Mar 06

seen, read, studied, heard, etc... What, of that which diametrically opposes your belief, makes the most sense?

Theists, what makes the most sense to you outside of your belief?
If I didn't know God to be a fact, I'd probably be in the evolution school.
Things are currently evolving, and the stuff we dig up fits the theory going a long way back. It has the most support in the physical world.

DF

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
28 Mar 06
2 edits

Originally posted by dj2becker
There is a story that knda makes sense to me:

There was a certain atheist that went for a strole in the forest. He was encountered by a famished bear that thought the atheist looked like a good meal. The athesit was terrified. He thought that seeing he was going to die anyway, he might just as well call out to God before he died. He called out and said, o God, saying, "Lord, for this meal that I am about to receive, make me sincerely grateful".
Damn, dj, that joke's getting tired already!

The best thing about theism . . . hmm . . . well different theistic systems are very very different, but in all they usually are much more dramatic. It's far more flattering to believe that the swan that molested you the other day is really that horny god, Zeus.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
28 Mar 06
2 edits

That Allah rewards suicide bombers with multitudes of virgins.

That ordained priests ought to abstain throughout their entire lives from sexual intercourse.

That's about it. If it weren't for all that nonsensical "be good to each other" mumbo jumbo, I'd be a huge theist, but I'd be hard pressed to choose between Catholicism and Islam.

a

Forgotten

Moves
28 Mar 06

I don't think I fit into either a theistic or atheistic "mold".
I am sceptical of there being a God and I am also sceptical that there is no God.I am sceptical of everything including the existance of self.
On the other hand I resolutely believe that I exist.
What Hell to be a bi- polar. 😞

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
28 Mar 06
1 edit

Question…is there evidence for the existence of "spirits" and some "spiritual dimension"?

Answer: http://www.christian-thinktank.com/eyesopen.html

Good read. Hope it helps.
Everytime you mysteriously appear on the RHP forums, there needs to be some startling, creepy music. You know, the kind that TV dramas play when the plot thickens and then cut to a commercial break.

Edit: Oh, it was just an apparition from the past! Phew.

S

Moves
28 Mar 06

The best thing about theism is the wonder and mysticism it creates. I find it fascinating, the angels, Satan, Jesus, the parables, revelation etc. It's surely the greatest story ever told and it interests me hugely. My life would be less rich without the effect religion has had on it.