Theists having atheist friends

Theists having atheist friends

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
12 Jan 23

Does being serious about one's theist beliefs preclude having close friendships with atheists?

Moves
12 Jan 23

@fmf said
Does being serious about one's theist beliefs preclude having close friendships with atheists?
In my opinion, absolutely not.

However if you are part of a cultish religion such as the JWs, then probably yes.

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Jan 23
1 edit

@fmf said
Scientologists are encouraged to break all ties with family and friends who are not themselves Scientologists.

However, none of my Christian friends or family members appear to have any problem with maintaining close relationships with atheists.

c

Moves
12 Jan 23

@fmf said
I think it would depend on having similar lifestyle choices in common.

For example, a theist might avoid drinking, strip clubs, smoking weed, etc....where an atheist might see nothing wrong with those things. (As an example)

But, as debates here have proven, an atheist could generally have the same code of morals or ethics as a theist, in which a friendship is likely.

F

Moves
13 Jan 23

@chaney3 said

For example, a theist might avoid drinking, strip clubs, smoking weed, etc....where an atheist might see nothing wrong with those things. (As an example)

But, as debates here have proven, an atheist could generally have the same code of morals or ethics as a theist, in which a friendship is likely.
a theist might avoid drinking, strip clubs, smoking weed, etc....where an atheist might see nothing wrong with those things.

There can be a close friendship between two people without them drinking and smoking and going to strip clubs together.

c

Moves
13 Jan 23

@fmf said
a theist might avoid drinking, strip clubs, smoking weed, etc....where an atheist might see nothing wrong with those things.

There can be a close friendship between two people without them drinking and smoking and going to strip clubs together.
You missed my point.
That's surprising, it seemed very clear to me.

Moves
13 Jan 23
1 edit

@chaney3 said
You missed my point.
Was there even a point?

(Sloan -- "Underwhelmed" -- one of the best indie pop songs ever to come out of Canada, in my view)

F

Moves
13 Jan 23
1 edit

@chaney3 said
You missed my point.
That's surprising, it seemed very clear to me.
I got your point. It just seemed a bit shallow, that's all, if you don’t mind me saying so.

The question is a spiritual one that can't be addressed by simply allotting supposedly good and bad behaviours to people - in a clichéd way - and then claiming that those good and bad behaviours are incompatible... in the hope that you are demonstrating something meaningful about the compatibility of religious and non-religious beliefs.

F

Moves
13 Jan 23
1 edit

@chaney3 said
I don't think this is necessarily true.

Speaking personally, if I take my three closest and longest friendships stretching back 40 or more years, we don't have similar lifestyle choices in common, far from it.

One of us has gone from being a Christian to being a Muslim. One has gone from being a Christian to being a Buddhist via 20 years of agnosticism. The other has always been an atheist.

None of these close bonds have been affected by my loss of faith, for example. Nor by changes they have undergone.

Friendships may be rooted in "lifestyle", but I am not convinced close friendships necessarily are.

Moves
13 Jan 23
1 edit

@fmf said

The question is a spiritual one
Take it to the Spirituality Forum, Spanky!

(if we even have one)

F

Moves
22 Jan 23

@fmf said
josephw, any thoughts on this one?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
22 Jan 23

@fmf said
josephw, any thoughts on this one?
No.

That is, no there's nothing I know of in the Bible that prohibits theists from having close friendships with atheists.

The Bible says not to participate in ungodly behavior with the ungodly. Not all atheists are ungodly.

I know a few Christians that closely resemble the ungodly. Christians are warned in the Bible not to associate with professing Christians that live in ungodly ways.

The sword cuts both ways.

F

Moves
22 Jan 23

@josephw said
That is, no there's nothing I know of in the Bible that prohibits theists from having close friendships with atheists.
There is 2 Corinthians 6:14–15: "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" Although, "yoked" arguably refers to marriage.

F

Moves
22 Jan 23

@josephw said
Christians are warned in the Bible not to associate with professing Christians that live in ungodly ways.
What would not associating with "professing Christians that live in ungodly ways" achieve? For whose benefit would it be to disassociate from them?

F

Moves
22 Jan 23

@josephw said
Not all atheists are ungodly.
Another Christian on this forum, last year, asserted that not believing in the Christian God is perhaps "the worst wickedness and the most evil" thing of all. I take it you disagree?