1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 19:26
    Originally posted by Coletti
    RB did not say that everyone who lies is a liar. He said that everyone has told a lie, AND liars will go to hell. You made the assumption that everyone who has ever told a lie IS a liar.

The point of making a logical statement is to first understand and THEN state the authors intent in logical form. So you should at least ask RB if he thinks everyone ...[text shortened]... dict himself by mistake, but in-so-far as his beliefs are Christian, they are not contradictory.
    The intellectual prostituting that you do on behalf of these people is embarassing. You should at least get payed for your services. Arby Hill clearly states that every person has lied in their life. Then he jumps straight to the claim "all liars go to hell," implying that if you've told a lie, then you are a liar. Obviously, it was a silly post on Arby's part. He didn't think about what a strong adjective "all" is. Frogstomp pointed this out. Then Johnny Cochrane Coletti had to come in and cook up some lame story.

We all know from experience that Arby Hill believes that some people will go to heaven. The problem is he makes stupid statements without considering the implications. If he wanted to say what you mean then he should have written the following:

Every person has lied in their life.
    Every liar who is not forgiven through Christ will go to Hell

Now you can squirm all you want in an attempt to make "some one who tells a lie" a "potential liar," but that is entirely Colettispeak. Arby Hill posts in English, not Colettispeak, so there is no reason to interpret his post in such an exotic manner.

My question to you is why can't you just except that Arby Hill made a silly statement and then move on. I suppose you xtians are in the habit of resurrecting dead things.
  2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 21:261 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    ... implying that if you've told a lie, then you are a liar. .
    That's the point where you are making an assumption. This is not logically implied by his words - and you were the one who formulated his statements into a logical implication.

If the words don't fit, you must acquit. 😉

Just applying the standard you raised. Not twisting - just keeping to the text.

(Correction - froggy made RB's words into a logical syllogism.)
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 21:451 edit
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    everyone lied
    all lLiars go to hell
    therefore Empty Heaven
    RB wrote:
    everyone has liad in their life. The book of Rev. says that all liars will be found in hell.

That is why you need Jesus to save you.

And froggy turned this into a syllogism:
    everyone lied
    all lLiars go to hell
    therefore Empty Heaven

The fallacy is assuming RB meant the anyone who lies is a liar. But that's not RB's point, and it takes illogical liberties with RB's intention.

RB understands that one sin is enough to convict anyone. If you hate your brother, the consequences are just as bad as if you had murdered. Lust after a woman, and you are guilty of committing adultery.

Jesus uses hyperbole to show us the consequence of even small sins so that that we will see our need to be redeemed by His blood. Even the smallest sins will damn you. "That is why you need Jesus to save you".

RB's was not "implying that if you've told a lie, then you are a liar." RB was merely pointing out that someone who tells a single lie is as guilty as a liar as far as salvation is concerned.
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 21:58
    RB wrote:
    [b]everyone has liad in their life. The book of Rev. says that all liars will be found in hell.

That is why you need Jesus to save you.

And froggy turned this into a syllogism:
    everyone lied
    all lLiars go to hell
    therefore Empty Heaven

The fallacy is assuming RB meant the anyone who lies is ...[text shortened]... t someone who tells a single lie is as guilty as a liar as far as salvation is concerned.[/b]
    EVERYONE

can't you read?
  5. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 22:00
    EVERYONE

can't you read?
    Everyone has lied. Do you disagree with that?
  6. Not Kansas
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 22:09
    Why would anyone believe that only Jesus can excuse one's lies?
    Even Hindu lies?
  7. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 22:11
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Why would anyone believe that only Jesus can excuse one's lies?
    Even Hindu lies?
    If a Hindu can have faith in the redemption found in Christ alone, then he can be saved from all of his sins. But then would he be a Hindu?
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 22:22
    actually "Everyone has lied" is a lie
  9. The sky
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 22:24
    I do. Some people are not even capable of lying. However, I guess "everyone" understands that RBHILL is using everyday language here, where "everyone" often means "the vast majority". But if you don't understand it as everyday language, it's wrong.

If you read it as everyday language, "everyone has liad in their life. The book of Rev. says that all liars will be found in hell" implies that everybody who has lied is a liar. If you don't understand it as everyday language, this is not implied. But if RBHILL started with everyday language, why should he suddenly switch to language which doesn't imply anything and is entirely logical?
  10. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 22:26
    actually "Everyone has lied" is a lie
    The unstated premise is the everyone does not include God or Jesus or anyone who has not lived long enough to formulate a coherent sentence. Give me a break foglegs. Who hasn't lied besides the ones who couldn't by definition. You, me, anyone you know over the age of four? (What a literalist you are!)
  11. The sky
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 22:26
    Originally posted by telerion
    My question to you is why can't you just except that Arby Hill made a silly statement and then move on.
    I guess Coletti excepts Arby Hill when he talks about silly statements. (Sorry, couldn't resist...)
  12. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 22:31
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I do. Some people are not even capable of lying. However, I guess "everyone" understands that RBHILL is using everyday language here, where "everyone" often means "the vast majority". But if you don't understand it as everyday language, it's wrong.

If you read it as everyday language, "everyone has liad in their life. The book of Rev. says that a ...[text shortened]... why should he suddenly switch to language which doesn't imply anything and is entirely logical?
    Ask froggy. I used the understanding of common Christian doctrine to explain what I thought RB meant. I didn't put RB's post into a fallacious syllogism. That was froglegs logical error.
  13. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 22:32
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I guess Coletti excepts Arby Hill when he talks about silly statements. (Sorry, couldn't resist...)
    I forgive you. 😉
  14. The sky
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 22:36
    Ask froggy. I used the understanding of common Christian doctrine to explain what I thought RB meant. I didn't put RB's post into a fallacious syllogism. That was froglegs logical error.
    I understood it the same way frogstomp did (in fact, we posted the same idea, although put into different words, at exactly the same time 🙂 ), and I still don't see how anyone could understand it in a different way without being a literalist. And if you are a literalist, the first part of RBHILLs statement doesn't work.
  15. The sky
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 22:39
    I forgive you. 😉
    Well, as a good Christian you should. But actually I was asking for telerion's forgiveness. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree