1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 13:15
    Theory of punctuated equilibrium

Punctuated equilibrium seeks to reconcile the idea of natural evolution with the missing links in the fossil record. naturalistic science assumed that the gaps in the fossil record would eventually be filled, and there would be a semi-complete record of so-called “transitional forms” between the various species. In fact, the opposite happened, and the gaps became even more pronounced. The actual fossil record indicates species seemingly appearing from nowhere, and without the long, slow, gradual changes expected by classical evolutionary theory. Punctuated equilibrium seeks to answer this problem by supposing that evolution doesn’t occur steadily, but sporadically.

In 1972, Stephen Gould and Niles Eldredge published a landmark paper on punctuated equilibrium. Their contention was that the gaps in the fossil record were best explained by gaps in evolution. That is, that most species did not change much over time, but occasionally experienced major changes in brief periods of time. “Classic” Darwinian evolution is presumed to take place very gradually, with a steady and slow change of organisms over time. Punctuated equilibrium replaces this slow change with long periods lacking any change at all, mixed with relatively short periods of rapid change.

Another way of looking at this is to say that, according to punctuated equilibrium, species are normally not evolving, and when they do evolve, it is relatively quick and dramatic. At times, this has become a source of controversy within the scientific community. Depending on whom you ask, punctuated equilibrium is either a refutation of gradual evolution, or just a specific form of it. This is one of the major disagreements over the theory – whether it replaces or enhances the classical notion of naturalistic evolution.

Despite a better agreement with available evidence, there are many scientific problems with punctuated equilibrium itself. The mechanism for punctuated equilibrium is assumed to be small groups of a particular organism separated in some way from the main population. This would accelerate the transmission of mutated genes through the population, and much more quickly produce a new species. However, multiple studies have found that inbreeding such as this produces extremely negative effects, which run counter to the idea of rapid advancement. The fossil record also calls into question the plausibility of this notion. The so-called “Cambrian Explosion,” for instance, is the sudden emergence of almost every biological type known to man, in a geological blink of an eye. This seems to contradict the idea of broad genetic stability intermixed with localized change.

Punctuated equilibrium is an attempt to reconcile available evidence with the idea of naturalistic evolution. It is, in many ways, another example of re-interpreting facts in order to fit an ideology.

http://www.gotquestions.org/punctuated-equilibrium.html
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 17:22
    unbiased:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 18:00
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    unbiased:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium
    That reference says, "Punctuated equilibrium (also called punctuated equilibria) is a theory in evolutionary biology which proposes that most species will exhibit little net evolutionary change for most of their geological history, remaining in an extended state called stasis."

Stasis is the only state that has been observed for a species.

The history of most fossil species include two features particularly inconsistent with gradualism:

1) Stasis - most species exhibit no directional change during their tenure on earth. They appear in the fossil record looking much the same as when they disappear; morphological change is usually limited and directionless;

2) Sudden appearance - in any local area, a species does not arise gradually by the steady transformation of its ancestors; it appears all at once and 'fully formed'.

Gould, S.J. (1977)
    "Evolution's Erratic Pace"
    Natural History, vol. 86, May

http://www.veritas-ucsb.org/library/origins/quotes/Stasis.html
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 18:10
    This quote is from the wiki page -

"Since we proposed punctuated equilibria to explain trends, it is infuriating to be quoted again and again by creationists—whether through design or stupidity, I do not know—as admitting that the fossil record includes no transitional forms. Transitional forms are generally lacking at the species level, but they are abundant between larger groups."
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 18:12
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    This quote is from the wiki page -

"Since we proposed punctuated equilibria to explain trends, it is infuriating to be quoted again and again by creationists—whether through design or stupidity, I do not know—as admitting that the fossil record includes no transitional forms. Transitional forms are generally lacking at the species level, but they are abundant between larger groups."
    how convenient for your theory, more circular reasoning?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 18:211 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That reference says, "Punctuated equilibrium (also called punctuated equilibria) is a theory in evolutionary biology which proposes that most species will exhibit little net evolutionary change for most of their geological history, remaining in an extended state called [b]stasis."

Stasis is the only state that has been observed for a species.

The History, vol. 86, May

http://www.veritas-ucsb.org/library/origins/quotes/Stasis.html[/b]
    Why do you care since you already 'know' the Earth is <10K YO? I get it, more destructive evidence, if you can't build up your own case, tear down the opposition. Good luck on that one.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 18:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    how convenient for your theory, more circular reasoning?
    My theory?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 18:281 edit
    My theory?
    oops its not yours, my bad! 😛
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 18:30
    oops its not yours, my bad! 😛
    What are you wittering on about?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 18:31
    What are you wittering on about?
    Its not your theory, i thought it was your theory, my mistake.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 18:33
    What's that in the water? It's a U boat. No, it's nota my boat, maybe it's a U boat.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 18:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What's that in the water? It's a U boat. No, it's nota my boat, maybe it's a U boat.
    Lol, that was actually a quite a funny, now shut up a yo face!
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 22:16
    Proper Knob certainly believes in it though, what a numbnuts.
  14. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 23:51
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Proper Knob certainly believes in it though, what a numbnuts.
    and you're still where you always were; up the creek without a paddle.
  15. Standard membermenace71online
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 04:26
    This is the transitional species argument right?

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree