1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 19:10
    Originally posted by darvlay
    How many times are you going to misspell "you're" in this thread when it's all said and done?
    Doesn't the first misspelling count once and for all?
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 19:22
    How many times are you going to misspell "you're" in this thread when it's all said and done?
    I don't know, I wasn't planning to misspell it previously.

I also have no idea how long this thread will be or how many times I will post in it...

Would you like a tally up when this post is sufficiently dead and buried to know for sure?
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 19:34
    Originally posted by Trev33
    People who believe the same and worship the same god within any religion.

Therefore it is clearly the correct group.

Majority rules.
    there are more people who do not eat caviar than people who eat it. therefore it is clearly the correct group.
    majority rules.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 19:43
    What are the bad reasons to be an atheist?
    If this forum is any indication, it can turn you into an insufferable windbag.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 20:19
    If this forum is any indication, it can turn you into an insufferable windbag.
    The world would implode if this forum was an indication of anything serious.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 20:23
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I don't think your grasping the concept of a bad reason...

See the thing about bad reasons is that they are bad...
    They don't stand up to logical scrutiny...
    Kinda by definition.
    By definition of 'atheists' don't believe in god, therefore anyone claiming to hate god is not an atheist.

The question was again, for the third time... what are the bad reasons for being an atheist? Not a wrong or impossible reason but a bad reason.
  7. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 21:051 edit
    Wrong.

And actually Richard Dawkins very emphatically calls himself an atheist.
    In fact he's famously an atheist... So don't know what your thinking here.

I don't think it is actually true that you can't know one way or another.
    However even if I were to accept that...

If you don't have evidence for the existence of something then the correc ...[text shortened]...
    default position. And it requires no faith to hold it whatsoever.

As you should well know.
    Pleaase get your facts right. If you have read "The God Delusion", Richard Dawkins clearly outlines, on page 73, the spectrum of disbelief on a scale of 1 to 7, 1 being strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God and 7 being Strong atheist "I know there is no God." Richard aligns himself as a 6: very low probability, but short of zero "I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable. (my italics). These are not the words, as I said before, of an out and out atheist.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 22:45
    By definition of 'atheists' don't believe in god, therefore anyone claiming to hate god is not an atheist.

The question was again, for the third time... what are the bad reasons for being an atheist? Not a wrong or impossible reason but a bad reason.
    Surely I am not alone in having hated certain fictional characters from books, tv shows, movies, etc.
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 00:24
    Is it just me that finds "There is more [atheists]" scrapes across the soul like fingers on a blackboard?

Yeah, there are good reasons to be an atheist, and bad reasons to be an atheist...

This is a bad one.
    Even the plural would scrape here . . .
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 00:43
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Surely I am not alone in having hated certain fictional characters from books, tv shows, movies, etc.
    Superman might have been fictional but he still existed.

You might hate superman but you recognize that he exists it the form of TV or comics as fiction. If you recognize the existence of god in any form in order to hate him you are not an atheist.
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 00:46

You might hate superman but you recognize that he exists it the form of TV or comics as fiction. If you recognize the existence of god in any form in order to hate him you are not an atheist.
    "Fictional atheists" as opposed to "factual atheists"?
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 05:171 edit

To me, a fictional character does not "exist". "Exist" means the person or thing is, or was at some point in time, actualized in the real world.

Superman is in the same boat as the fictional character "God". Neither exists.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 05:30
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Pleaase get your facts right. If you have read "The God Delusion", Richard Dawkins clearly outlines, on page 73, the spectrum of disbelief on a scale of 1 to 7, 1 being strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God and 7 being Strong atheist "I know there is no God." Richard aligns himself as a 6: very low probability, but short of zero "I cannot know fo ...[text shortened]... robable[/i]. (my italics). These are not the words, as I said before, of an out and out atheist.
    I can't find my copy of the book, but I am fairly certain that 6. is still well within his 'atheist' category.
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 06:181 edit
    People who believe the same and worship the same god within any religion.

Therefore it is clearly the correct group.

Majority rules.
    1.2 billion Muslims and Catholics each. There are more atheist?

Move to America, more freedom here for minorities then anywhere else.

Also all religions can come together to form the majority.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 10:24
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Pleaase get your facts right. If you have read "The God Delusion", Richard Dawkins clearly outlines, on page 73, the spectrum of disbelief on a scale of 1 to 7, 1 being strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God and 7 being Strong atheist "I know there is no God." Richard aligns himself as a 6: very low probability, but short of zero "I cannot know fo ...[text shortened]... robable[/i]. (my italics). These are not the words, as I said before, of an out and out atheist.
    An atheist is simply someone who doesn't believe that gods exist.

A definition Dawkins promotes.

He doesn't believe gods exist.

Therefore he is an atheist, and he calls himself such.

He may not claim to be a gnostic strong atheist, but that doesn't mean he is not an atheist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree