1. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 09:24
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Those theories are rather fanciful and are not accepted as fact be the scientific community and, IF Physicist David Bohm theory is not truely evidence/reason based ( I am not implying that it isn't nor that it is) I think also can be compared to a belief in tooth fairies but NOT if Physicist David Bohm theory IS truely evidence/reason based.
    The uncertainty principle first theorised by Heisenberg says that you cannot decide correctly the position and the velocity of an object at the same time. The dynamic and changeable nature of the universe is now an established principle in physics. Any contrary view will be a delusion.
  2. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 17:461 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    The uncertainty principle first theorised by Heisenberg says that you cannot decide correctly the position and the velocity of an object at the same time. The dynamic and changeable nature of the universe is now an established principle in physics. Any contrary view will be a delusion.
    How does the “uncertainty principle” relate to my post?

and I didn't know what you meant by “...the world which we take for granted as unchanging and static is itself a delusion ...” (and still don't -of course there are changes in the world! ) so I wasn't referring to that. Sorry, I should have told you that.
  3. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 07:24
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    How does the “uncertainty principle” relate to my post?

and I didn't know what you meant by “...the world which we take for granted as unchanging and static is itself a delusion ...” (and still don't -of course there are changes in the world! ) so I wasn't referring to that. Sorry, I should have told you that.
    Well,you are saying that Spiritual Experience is a delusion and a hallucination. I say that the universe that we take for granted as static and unchanging,is not so,being a very dynamic and changing entity. Is not our visualisation of our universe delusional?
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 11:57
    Well,you are saying that Spiritual Experience is a delusion and a hallucination. I say that the universe that we take for granted as static and unchanging,is not so,being a very dynamic and changing entity. Is not our visualisation of our universe delusional?
    Scientific view, or personal?

My view is based upon the scientific, which would lead me to respond, "no, not particularly delusional, no!" 😉

-m.
  5. St. Peter's
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 12:15
    Originally posted by mikelom

My view is based upon the scientific, which would lead me to respond, "no, not particularly delusional, no!" 😉

-m.
    If your view is indeed scientific then please explain the Prima Causa of the universe. Please give a detailed scientific response for the existance of the universe and for all life, can't do that you say? No one knows why you say? hmmmm....in the words of Robbie...vewy intewesting.
  6. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 12:281 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom

-m.
    It is well known that the the atoms which are considered the building blocks of matter are not packed as tightly as we feel. Although weak gravitational forces keep them together,there are very large gaps between them.The atoms themselves were once idealised as comprising of a nucleus made up of protons and neutrons( in case of hydrogen, only one proton at the nucleus) surrounded by whirling electrons.Modern physics is saying that this is only an idealisation.The reality,due to the emergence of the uncertainty principle and quantum theory,is that no observer can say with any certainty what is the position of any of these particles and what is their velocity ,at the same time. Our knowledge of the universe whether seen from an electron microscope or a cloud chamber is not definite but approximate, only one of the possible scenarios. When I perceive the chair on which I am sitting as a solid object,I am making an approximation far from the truth. Why not then call it an delusion ?
  7. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 15:44
    “...Well,you are saying that Spiritual Experience is a delusion and a hallucination. ...”

Yes; just like it would be if I had a 'tooth fairy' experience of being one with the tooth fairy.

“...say that the universe that we take for granted as static and unchanging ...”

who is saying/thinking that “ the universe that we take for granted as static and unchanging”? -I don't know what you are talking about. “ static and unchanging” in what sense? OBVIOUSLY there are changes going on in our world and I for one would NOT “ take for granted” nor ever would think that there are no changes for I see changes ( and would have done even if I lived 3000 years ago ) so I don't know what you are talking about here. The seasons are just one example of changes.
  8. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 15:522 edits
    It is well known that the the atoms which are considered the building blocks of matter are not packed as tightly as we feel. Although weak gravitational forces keep them together,there are very large gaps between them.The atoms themselves were once idealised as comprising of a nucleus made up of protons and neutrons( in case of hydrogen, only one proton a ...[text shortened]... solid object,I am making an approximation far from the truth. Why not then call it an delusion ?
    “....When I perceive the chair on which I am sitting as a solid object,I am making an approximation FAR from the truth. Why not then call it an delusion ? ...” (my emphasis)

-because your assertion that it is “ an approximation FAR from the truth” is vague to the point of being meaningless -what non-arbrary criteria are you using here to determine whether it is “far” or “near”? -quantum physics gives no such criteria.

And why call an approximation a “delusion” if you are aware that it IS an approximation (which we are) ? -I mean, in what sense would that be a “delusion” if it doesn't lead to any false belief?

Acknowledgement of one's uncertainty is not being delusional.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree