this thing called the bible

this thing called the bible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Apr 08

Originally posted by jaywill
Left Behind books ?

Fadish, shallow, superfiscial.
How do you know that?

There is no comparison to taking in those books and diving into the Bible.
But does that render all other books obsolete? Should we burn all our books except the Bible?

P

weedhopper

Moves
15 Apr 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
How do you know that?

[b]There is no comparison to taking in those books and diving into the Bible.

But does that render all other books obsolete? Should we burn all our books except the Bible?[/b]
No you need not burn them. They can be amusing--they're just not doctrine.

j

Moves
16 Apr 08

Originally posted by eatmybishop
you have to forgive me, the bible isnt one of my strong points, however, unless i'm mistaken in the o.t it states "god created the heavens and the earth"...

why did god create heaven at the same time, what was the point, didnt he spend his time here? also, wasnt it only after eve (adam?) sinned that the idea of heaven being a resting place for the go ...[text shortened]... adam and eve go to hell? if so, does that imply hell was created at the same time as heaven?
This is just the hebrew way of saying that God created everything.

Heaven as a place is man's way to try understanding eternity. I don't think that it should be taken as a literal place, certainly not a place in the physical universe.

Hell also shouldn't be taken as a literal place. It is just man trying to come to grips with God's mercy and justice.

Please note: I am not saying that eternal punishment and eternal paradise don't exist or won't happen. I just don't think that we can understand them with our limited abilities so I distrust definitive descriptions of them.

s

England

Moves
18 Apr 08

Originally posted by jaywill
Left Behind books ?

Fadish, shallow, superfiscial.

I recommend none of them and have read none of them.

There is no comparison to taking in those books and diving into the Bible.
how do you conclude this, the bible as we know it was put together by a early pope, who took great care to understand its teachings, but jesus would have known all the old testerment books, as ezra was more than he is given in the bible, and the seven brothers who died rather than deny there teachings in front of thier mother suffering each one, not you say they are shallow???
Just remember this god thinks more in a day than letters in the bible, all his words go from his mouth but do not return to his ears, but bears fruit that return to him,