1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 May '07 01:48
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    I hope you don't feel it is my job to defend the Lord, because it's not.
    It's a good thing that's not your job, because if it were I think the Lord would fire you and go with the state appointed attorney.
  2. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    14 May '07 02:48
    Comparisons of God to Hitler, or anybody else for that matter, are not comparing like to like.

God is not human. And that's the entire bleeding point.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    14 May '07 03:01
    Originally posted by orfeo
    Comparisons of God to Hitler, or anybody else for that matter, are not comparing like to like.

You really feel fully comfortable submitting in obeisant worship a God who has a 'right' to kill and
    has elected to exercise that 'right' through His faithful in the manifestation of the slaughter of innocent
    women and children?

Nemesio
  4. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    14 May '07 03:141 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    You really feel fully comfortable submitting in obeisant worship a God who has a 'right' to kill and
    has elected to exercise that 'right' through His faithful in the manifestation of the slaughter of innocent
    women and children?

Nemesio
    What exactly do you mean by 'comfortable'?

I think some people are rather too fond of turning God into an old man with a flowing white beard who loves everybody. And then equating him with Santa Claus.

I seem to recall the Bible stating that 'it is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God'.

I don't worship God to be 'comfortable'.

Let's be clear about something though. I DON'T understand why God would view the slaughter of an entire city as the appropriate method of securing the land of Canaan. The difference between you and me is that you choose to conclude that God did not in fact order the slaughter, and that the Israelites were making God's orders up to suit themselves.

To me, that is the easy way out. It involves making God 'nicer' to fit what you think is right and wrong. I prefer having to wrestle with the incident and struggling to understand the nature of God, and not assuming that God meets my definition of 'nice'.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 May '07 04:271 edit
    What exactly do you mean by 'comfortable'?

I think some people are rather too fond of turning God into an old man with a flowing white beard who loves everybody. And then equating him with Santa Claus.

I seem to recall the Bible stating that 'it is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God'.

I don't worship God to be 'comfortable'.

rstand the nature of God, and not assuming that God meets my definition of 'nice'.
    Nice? Your bible claims God is love. It claims he is just. It claims that he is merciful.

You'd like to get off the hook that easily!
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 May '07 04:30

I think you're right. Hitler is your God's moral superior. The comparison is completely unfair.
  7. Illinois
    Moves
    14 May '07 05:101 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It's a good thing that's not your job, because if it were I think the Lord would fire you and go with the state appointed attorney.
    You're probably right. 🙂 EDIT: Good thing He's not the one on trial...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree