1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 20:14
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Ah.
    Yes.

This might be a bit circuitous, so let me know if I get too far afield.

I have both personal experience as well as (what I consider to be) evidential reasons to back my belief in a God who is responsible for all there is.

Like you and anyone else reading this, I am a person. I have an organ within my body which is capable of naming itse ...[text shortened]... of the Universe, that outside of Him there are no other gods.

Does that answer your question?

No, I don't see how. How does any of this constitute reasons for thinking that there are no possible worlds wherein your God does not exist?
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 20:27
    Originally posted by LemonJello

No, I don't see how. How does any of this constitute reasons for thinking that there are no possible worlds wherein your God does not exist?
    Since the Bible answered my questions with the greatest level of sufficiency, I believe it when it describes God as being the one and only creator.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 22:41
    Since the Bible answered my questions with the greatest level of sufficiency, I believe it when it describes God as being the one and only creator.
    What on earth does that have to do with anything? Even if God is the "one and only creator" in the actual world, that shows nothing regarding whether or not there are possible worlds wherein God does not exist. Perhaps we are talking past each other with the possible worlds semantics.

It is interesting so far in this thread that the atheists who have chimed are quick to admit that the closest possible world wherein gods exist is something virtually identical to the actual one; whereas the theists who have chimed in cannot even make acquaintance with the idea that there could be possible worlds (let alone nearby ones) wherein God does not exist. That's fine, but it would be nice if these theists had any supporting evidence for their position that made even a lick of sense....
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 23:26

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 23:27
    What on earth does that have to do with anything? Even if God is the "one and only creator" in the actual world, that shows nothing regarding whether or not there are possible worlds wherein God does not exist. Perhaps we are talking past each other with the possible worlds semantics.

It is interesting so far in this thread that the atheists who have ...[text shortened]... these theists had any supporting evidence for their position that made even a lick of sense....
    Unholy sssshhhhh-talky mushrooms.

You are complaining because people find your thought experiment--- a fantasy concocted by a bored intellectual--- boring?

Maybe the problem isn't the folks who are more concerned with reality than a make-believe world.
    Maybe it's you.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 01:12
    Unholy sssshhhhh-talky mushrooms.

You are complaining because people find your thought experiment--- a fantasy concocted by a bored intellectual--- boring?

Maybe the problem isn't the folks who are more concerned with reality than a make-believe world.
    Maybe it's you.
    No, I think the problem is that we are talking past each other regarding the "possible world" semantics.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 15:54
    No, I think the problem is that we are talking past each other regarding the "possible world" semantics.
    Then I guess I'm just really crappy at imagining things I find impossible to conceive. Despite some people's insistence otherwise, the idea that all of this came into being without a supernatural impetus is so far out of the realm of possibility that the scenario is one beyond my ability to conceive.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 23:01
    Then I guess I'm just really crappy at imagining things I find impossible to conceive. Despite some people's insistence otherwise, the idea that all of this came into being without a supernatural impetus is so far out of the realm of possibility that the scenario is one beyond my ability to conceive.
    If you think there are no possibe worlds wherein your God does not exist, then so be it. That means you think your God's existence is logically necessary. But there seems a lot of dissonance here, since when I asked for reasons why one should think that, the reasons you offered in no way support that idea. So, that's why I think we are probably talking past each other.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree