1. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 19:012 edits
    The material body of the indestructable, immeasurable and etenal living entity is sure to come to an end.

For the soul, there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being.

He is unborn, eternal, ever existing and primeval, and invisible,inconceivable and immutable.

He is not slain when the body is slain. As a person puts on new clothes, changing from the old ones, the soul similary accepts new bodies, giving up the old and useless ones.

The soul can never be cut into pieces by any weapon, nor burned by fire, nor moistened by water, nor withered by the wind.

The individual soul is unbreakable, and insoluble and can neither be bured nor dried, he is everlasting, present everywhere, unchangable,immovable and eternally the same.

One who takes birth is sure to die, and after death, one is sure to take birth again.

All created beings are unmanifest in the beginning, manifest in their intrim state, and unmanifest after death.

The soul has no gender.

Bhagavad Gita ( one of many sources of spiritual knowledge)

vishva
  2. Joined
    10 May '10
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 19:44
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    The material body of the indestructable, immeasurable and etenal living entity is sure to come to an end.

For the soul, there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being.

He is unborn, eternal, ever existing and primeval, and invisible,inconceivable and immutable.

He i ...[text shortened]... gender.

vishva
    Or, we are, as unenlightened may sound, just body and memories from the past stored in our brain. And this what we store, drives our future behavior and how we perceive the world.....why must be so complicated like you said?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 21:04

vishva
    Question sources.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jul '10 01:59
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Question sources.
    Do you mean question the bhagavad gita?
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Jul '10 16:11
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Do you mean question the bhagavad gita?
    Absolutely. He isn't exempt.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jul '10 16:30
    All created beings are unmanifest in the beginning, manifest in their intrim state, and unmanifest after death.
    Is there a finite number of them? If the earth overpopulates will we run out? Do some never get a chance to be embodied?

The soul has no gender.
    In all discussions regarding an eternal soul, my first question is "What does it have to do with me?". In what way does a soul affect me? It clearly isn't my intellect, does not have my memories, is not in any way "me" as I define myself, so what do I care whether it is eternal, indestructible etc or what its future might be?
    If via Karma, my committing murder results in some ant centuries from now having a weak leg, what do I care?

I generally find that most theists check out of the thread at this point. What do 'spiritualists' do?
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jul '10 22:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Is there a finite number of them? If the earth overpopulates will we run out? Do some never get a chance to be embodied?

[b]The soul has no gender.

In all discussions regarding an eternal soul, my first question is "What does it have to do with me?". In what way does a soul affect me? It clearly isn't my intellect, does not have my memories, is no ...[text shortened]... find that most theists check out of the thread at this point. What do 'spiritualists' do?[/b]
    Well I would stay if the conversation was interesting enough🙂

"Is there a finite number of them?"-by this do you mean a finite number of human souls that can populate the Earth and/or be reincarnated?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jul '10 22:10
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Absolutely. He isn't exempt.
    Would you put the bhagavad gita in the same genre of lterature as the bible?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 03:27

vishva
    Did God tell you all this?
  10. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 04:19
    Would you put the bhagavad gita in the same genre of lterature as the bible?
    The subject is the same, (God) but the Bible is very limited in spiritual instruction, and what instruction there is, is either erroneous or limited.

The Bible is one book, and the Spiritual Vedic teachings are 200 -300 volumes in the spiritual sanskrit language. (the Bhagavad Gita is one volume)

The knowledge in the Vedas, must be discerned with the gift of insight, for the correct understanding.

Everyone may access this (insight) but the keys to accessing are: submissive enquiry, non envious nature, a devotional mood and a genuine desire to know and love God.

vishva
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 04:42
    Originally posted by josephw
    Did God tell you all this?
    All Spiritual knowledge, may be found in the Vedic literature, which has been with the human race for millions of years,and were compiled in the spiritual language Sanskrit, by super enlightened human beings Vyasadeva is one such person.

I have studied this literature, and lead the devotional life, and with the help of insight and relevation, i have come to know what is true, and what is not. (still learning)

Other enlightened personalities have also given many commentariies on these Vedic scriptures for the benefit of mankind, and we can find also that many insightfull people are imerging and writting books on their understanding of the spiritual way.

vishva
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 05:10
    "Is there a finite number of them?"-by this do you mean a finite number of human souls that can populate the Earth and/or be reincarnated?
    My understanding is he believes every living thing has an eternal soul which gets reincarnated. Since the population of living things is constantly changing, there must be a large number of souls on standby waiting for a body. I am just wondering how many are on standby so I can estimate my souls average wait period between lives.

If there is an infinite number, then clearly the chances of my soul ever coming back are near zero.
    If there is a finite number, then theoretically, if there is a sudden bloom of plankton in the ocean, we could run out. What happens then? Do all births cease until more souls become available?

We could theoretically populate our planet to a much greater extent (with life forms) and also populate Mars and several other planets with life. So either the souls will run out, or there is a fairly large number on standby. If every soul gets a fair chance, then each soul must spend centuries or more between bodies.

Considering that Humans represent only a minuscule proportion of all life, the chances of the soul being human twice is very very low.

Now since Karma supposedly means that you can blame much of your problems in this life on your souls actions in past lives, the chances are that the reason you got sick last week was because some amoeba 6000 years ago was mean to an algae.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 05:13
    When you break a leaf off a plant and grow it, does its indestructible soul split in two? Does this mean that souls are constantly multiplying? Or do all bananas share just one soul?
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 12:56
    All Spiritual knowledge, may be found in the Vedic literature, which has been with the human race for millions of years,and were compiled in the spiritual language Sanskrit, by super enlightened human beings Vyasadeva is one such person.

I have studied this literature, and lead the devotional life, and with the help of insight and relevation, i have co ...[text shortened]... ll people are imerging and writting books on their understanding of the spiritual way.

vishva
    Well, that's all very nice. You spent years learning something that denies God's Christ and the resurrection.

You better go back to school!
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 23:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My understanding is he believes every living thing has an eternal soul which gets reincarnated. Since the population of living things is constantly changing, there must be a large number of souls on standby waiting for a body. I am just wondering how many are on standby so I can estimate my souls average wait period between lives.

If there is an infini ...[text shortened]... t the reason you got sick last week was because some amoeba 6000 years ago was mean to an algae.
    Yes, I have come across that troubling question regarding reincarnation before.
    BTW I only loosely believe in reincarnation. Like maybe some people are born with inherent knowledge from some others past experiences-or something like that.

I suppose that in your illustration you are only considering life forms reincarnating on planet Earth. Suppose reincarnation happenned throught the universe. Perhaps a planet full of "people" exploded somewhere and those "souls" are waiting for the appropriate bodies to incarnate into...-just a silly example of how things might even out in the end, (Are you giggling yet? 🙂 )

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree