1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 22:59
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen; not only because I see it but because by it I see everything else"

-C.S. Lewis

After reading this quote I thought of one question. Is our reality shaped by our beliefs?
  2. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:06
    To a very small degree our sense processes - vision, hearing, touch, etc. - may be shaped or altered by our beliefs. Overwhelmingly, though, they're informed by - and reflect more or less accurately - the physical universe, which is NOT shaped by our beliefs.

Our beliefs do affect our understanding of the world, but of course our beliefs ARE our understanding of the world. In general they don't change, to any great degree, our direct physical experience of the world.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen; not only because I see it but because by it I see everything else"

-C.S. Lewis

After reading this quote I thought of one question. Is our reality shaped by our beliefs?
    I think that the more accurate our belief system is the more accurate our knowledge and understanding of reality becomes.
  4. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:15

-C.S. Lewis

I think that the more accurate our knowledge and understanding of reality becomes the more accurate our belief system becomes.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:23
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    I think that the more accurate our knowledge and understanding of reality becomes the more accurate our belief system becomes.
    Agreed, the other way round is madness. If we allowed out beliefs to arbitrate our reality we'd be able to justify any action at all and be unable to say anything objective about the world. That is never going to work. It wouldn't surprise me if several of the more ardent theists here thought it would though.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:23
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Good one!
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:29
    Originally posted by josephw
    Good one!
    😀
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:33

-C.S. Lewis

Your perception of reality is obviously shaped by your beliefs. But it doesn't mean that perception is accurate.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:33
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Agreed, the other way round is madness. If we allowed out beliefs to arbitrate our reality we'd be able to justify any action at all and be unable to say anything objective about the world. That is never going to work. It wouldn't surprise me if several of the more ardent theists here thought it would though.
    Only if what you believe in isn't true.

But I agree with you. We should judge reality objectively in order to have an accurate belief system.

But objective truth was here before we were. So why on earth do we not reach the same conclusions about the existence of God?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:35
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Your perception of reality is obviously shaped by your beliefs. But it doesn't mean that perception is accurate.
    Perception is just that. It's not necessarily reality.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:46
    Perception is just that. It's not necessarily reality.
    Whodey asked if our "reality" is shaped by our beliefs. My answer was to make a clear distinction between reality and perception. Reality exists independent from our perception.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:53
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Whodey asked if our "reality" is shaped by our beliefs. My answer was to make a clear distinction between reality and perception. Reality exists independent from our perception.
    "Reality exists independent from our perception."

Isn't that called objective truth?
  13. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 23:58
    "Reality exists independent from our perception."

Isn't that called objective truth?
    It's a semantic issue. Depending on your philosophical framework, the term "truth" implies meaning. But the physical reality of the universe may simply exist, as fact, without meaning.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 00:02
    Originally posted by darthmix
    It's a semantic issue. Depending on your philosophical framework, the term "truth" implies meaning. But the physical reality of the universe may simply exist, as fact, without meaning.
    "But the physical reality of the universe may simply exist, as fact, without meaning."

Not if it were created.
  15. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 00:03
    Well, sure, but that's not at all settled.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree