1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 15:031 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Three Rhetorical Questions

1) No matter how well travelled or educated or highly intelligent you may be, do you actually know everything there is to be known in both the vast secular and spiritual realms? 2) Do you realize that the lifelong process of learning often requires an implicit experience of unlearning ...[text shortened]... your[/i] posts, site nickname, avatar and self proclaimed forum title as you? Reply optional.
    There's another dynamic embedded in the learning process worth noting. Persistent rejection of facts or truths gradually becomes habit forming. Negative volition is intensified, eventually making it almost impossible for human beings to change their minds about facts or truths once viewed objectively prior to an addiction to fictions and/or truths mixed with error.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 15:232 edits
    There's another dynamic embedded in the learning process worth noting. Persistent rejection of facts or truths gradually becomes habit forming. Negative volition is intensified, eventually making it almost impossible for human beings to change their minds about facts or truths once viewed objectively prior to an addiction to fictions and/or truths mixed with error.
    I managed to extricate myself from the religious beliefs that I held for almost 30 adult years.

I came to realize that being a Christian relied on persistent internalization of what I had been [for a long time] perceiving and believing to be "facts or truths" ~ along with the rejecting of doubt ~ and that this had become habit forming and ingrained.

It's true that for many human beings ~ especially of the religious kind ~ to allow their minds to question perceived "facts or truths" is tough ~ you referred to it as "unlearning"; people are often afflicted by a kind of addiction to what they later realize are things that they actually come to see as being fictions and/or truths mixed with error.

So it's true what you say: there's another dynamic embedded in the learning process worth noting.
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '15 02:00
    [b]Three Rhetorical Questions

1) No matter how well travelled or educated or highly intelligent you may be, do you actually know everything there is to be known in both the vast secular and spiritual realms? 2) Do you realize that the lifelong process of learning often requires an implicit experience of unlearn ...[text shortened]... [/i] posts, site nickname, avatar and self proclaimed forum title as you? Reply optional.[/b]
    The Bible says that we are dust and to dust we return.
    Our personality is in Jehovah God's memory until we are resurrected at the end of this system of things.
    That is, for most who have died, after Armageddon.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Mar '15 05:37
    "The material components will continue to exist" as dust?
    As atoms, molecules and chemical compounds. Not necessarily in dust form.

If "The immaterial components will no-longer exist : by definition" then what happens to your unique personality, vocabulary, bank of knowledge and memories?
    As I said, they will no longer exist.
    I have to also note here that my personality, vocabulary and bank of knowledge and memories is constantly changing anyway, with both gains and losses even prior to death, and I fully expect to loose much of my current memories, knowledge and personality prior to death. If I am unlucky enough to get Alzheimer's then I will loose practically all of them.

Source of your "definition"?
    The dictionary.

Personality refers to individual differences in characteristic patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving. (clearly this cannot exist without a live physical brain).
    Vocabulary: the body of words used in a particular language. (clearly cannot exist without a physical brain.)
    Knowledge: information, understanding, or skill that you get from experience or education. (clearly requires a physical brain).
    Memory: The mental faculty of retaining and recalling past experience. (clearly requires a working physical brain.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree