1. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 19:56
    i am fascinated by buddhism\is there anyone here who is a buddhist, as i am\any experience with buddhism? (i have only learned about it from books, have adopted it as my religion for only about one year - but this is permanent)\what is your most valuable meditation technique? mine would be gazing at an object (any object chosen, or a spot), observation of breath, & the mantra ommanipadmehum also being important\
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 20:00
    may you find peace and spirituality whatever your religion is called.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 20:59
    Originally posted by victorx013
    i am fascinated by buddhism\is there anyone here who is a buddhist, as i am\any experience with buddhism?
    "If you meet Buddha on the road, kill him!"
  4. Standard memberMr Average
    Mr Average
    Southern England...
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 16:08
    Originally posted by Mister Meaner
    "If you meet Buddha on the road, kill him!"
    yes, but first you must meet him...
  5. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 22:07
    i am fascinated by buddhism\is there anyone here who is a buddhist, as i am\any experience with buddhism? (i have only learned about it from books, have adopted it as my religion for only about one year - but this is permanent)\what is your most valuable meditation technique? mine would be gazing at an object (any object chosen, or a spot), observation of breath, & the mantra ommanipadmehum also being important\
    I've studied Buddhism for 30 years, and trained under several Buddhist teachers.

Reading and meditating is good, but most important of all is to find a teacher to study under. Don't worry if the teacher is perfect or not (none are, basically -- the sooner we get past that, the better).

The reason a teacher/mentor is important, is because we humans carry something like a "blind spot". This is a part of our overall psychological makeup that makes it almost impossible to admit when we are wrong about something, don't know something, or have some part of our character that is in need of growing.

In a sense, there are two main components of the ego -- pride, and vanity. Pride keeps us from admitting when we are uncertain. Vanity results in self-absorption. Men tend to be prone to the former, women to the latter. (A generalization, granted, that doesn't apply in all cases -- but most, I've found).

The Buddha once said, that in order to wake up, we need 3 things -- "buddha, dharma, sangha". Buddha is a teacher. Dharma is a system of knowledge that is tried and tested. And Sangha is a fellowship, or community of truth-seekers. Trying to wake up on one's own is difficult, because of the mind's capacity to avoid looking directly at itself, owing mostly to pride, vanity, and the "blind spot".
  6. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '06 19:33
    I spent New Year's Eve at a buddhist Monestary in the south of England. Nice people. Very reflective. I'm not sure if the monastic life would be the life for me though. I'm too fond of shagging for a start.
    They gave me a book to read and I noticed how much of NLP is taken from Buddhism. Have you ever read anything about NLP?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree