1. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 03:55
    It seems unlikely that the recent tsunami was not natural, but I suppose you could create one with nukes. It would be more likely to happen through water displacement though I think.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 06:32
    Originally posted by 7ate9
    is this possible to make? drill deep down into the earth and plant nuclear bombs. just thinking about what happened in the latest tsunami, wondering if it could have been a terrorist attack. stupid maybe, but i think it would be possible.

if i'm correct earthquakes happen where CS is happening, so it would be easy to find out if a massive earthquake happened in an area it shouldn't have happened at.
    The main purpose of terrorism is to inspire terror. This requires that the recipient of the terror knows where it is comming from.
    Hidding a nuke in a tsunami would be unneccessary. Using the energy of a nuke to create a tsunami would be inefficient unless you plant it in such a place that you trigger an earthquake that could have happened anyway. That is you utilise energy from the earth.
    However a well placed nuclear bomb in a large city would probably still kill more people than a tsunami and be easier to arrange too. It would probably also inspire more terror as a tsunami would terrorise the coasts where as a bomb in a city makes all city dwellers throughout the country terrified.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 07:50

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 21:17
    is this possible to make? drill deep down into the earth and plant nuclear bombs. just thinking about what happened in the latest tsunami, wondering if it could have been a terrorist attack. stupid maybe, but i think it would be possible.

if i'm correct earthquakes happen where CS is happening, so it would be easy to find out if a massive earthquake happened in an area it shouldn't have happened at.
    Find a large unstable cliff underwater, plant charges (conventional or other) and detonate. It’s possible, but exceedingly difficult. If you were a terrorist and had a load of nukes it would be easier to simply blow up a city. Although you could fairly easily crack la palmer in half with a nuke. That would cause a 50 metre high tidal wave to hit the US eastern seaboard. And smaller waves to hit every Atlantic coastline. Plus wiping out the canaries.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 22:071 edit

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '06 07:56

7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    22 Jul '06 08:59
    why does it seem unlikely?
    What would be the point in trying to trigger an earthquake when you can get greater casualties with a small vial of genetically modified bacteria. It's not all that hard really you know.
  8. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    22 Jul '06 10:22
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Find a large unstable cliff underwater, plant charges (conventional or other) and detonate. It’s possible, but exceedingly difficult. If you were a terrorist and had a load of nukes it would be easier to simply blow up a city. Although you could fairly easily crack la palmer in half with a nuke. That would cause a 50 metre high tidal wave to hit the US e ...[text shortened]... stern seaboard. And smaller waves to hit every Atlantic coastline. Plus wiping out the canaries.
    Seems to be some dispute about La Palma.

http://www.lapalma-tsunami.com/
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '06 12:33
    possibly. but the website you pointed to is plain wrong on many counts and is not written by someone who knows the subject. for example it's first 'fact' "There has NEVER been a Megatsunami in the atlantic NEVER" is horribly wrong and not what there quoted source actually says. their source says that there has not been one in recorded history, and that they occur thousands of years apart. which is not by any stretch the same as NEVER. the KT asteroid for one created a properly megatsunami. also I would point out that major undersea landslides have caused large tsunamis in the atlantic not just in recorded history but in the last century. you don't need a 'mega' tsunami to devestate a city only a few meters above sea level, christmas before last should have proved that if nothing else.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree