1. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 08:57
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    It does seem unlikely that this would happen though since Greek mythology was superceded a long time ago by the eternal religions (Judaism / Hinduism etc) with a far more sophisticated view of spirituality.
    Superceded? What do you mean by that?
    And what are 'eternal religions'?
    Any what do you mean by 'far more sophisticated'?

I generally do not consider it becasue it has not been suggested to me that I can have a personal living relationship with Zeus. Until it is suggested I shall put it on the back burner.
    I would like to hereby suggest to you that you can have as personal a relationship with Zeus as you can with Jesus. All you need to do is believe ...
  2. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 16:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead

[b]I generally do not consider it becasue it has not been suggested to me that I can have a personal living relationship with Zeus. Until it is suggested I shall put it on the back burner.

I would like to hereby suggest to yo ...[text shortened]... s personal a relationship with Zeus as you can with Jesus. All you need to do is believe ...[/b]
    I would like to hereby suggest to you that you can have as personal a relationship with Zeus as you can with Jesus. All you need to do is believe ... WHITEY

..and then what would Zeus do? Is that it?
  3. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 16:54

[b]I generally do not consider it becasue it has not been suggested to me that I can have a personal living relationship with Zeus. Until it is suggested I shall put it on the back burner.

I would like to hereby suggest to yo ...[text shortened]... s personal a relationship with Zeus as you can with Jesus. All you need to do is believe ...[/b]
    Any what do you mean by 'far more sophisticated'? WHITEY

Read up on this. It's a long story but basically at around the same time around the globe religions started to take on a different understanding of the eternal (eg 1 God not many) and God being very interested in personal morality and also being in the form of spirit (hindhu -brahman). All the major world religions got going at around the same time.
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 16:551 edit
    Are you suggesting that he is taking pieces out of context or that parts of scripture are simply incoherent? If the former then are you able to take any of his verses and show us how when put in context it doesn't imply what he is claiming?
    If the former then are you able to take any of his verses and show us how when put in context it doesn't imply what he is claiming? WHITEY

I already did this on the beauty thread but no-one seemed to notice.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 21:34
    If the former then are you able to take any of his verses and show us how when put in context it doesn't imply what he is claiming? WHITEY

I already did this on the beauty thread but no-one seemed to notice.
    I must have missed it. For example?
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 10:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I must have missed it. For example?
    Wasn't it luke 19:27?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 12:25
    Read up on this. It's a long story but basically at around the same time around the globe religions started to take on a different understanding of the eternal (eg 1 God not many) and God being very interested in personal morality and also being in the form of spirit (hindhu -brahman). All the major world religions got going at around the same time.
    Where does one read up on it? You are not being specific enough anyway.
    Can you list these 'major world religions' and give starting dates?
    I know of:
    Christianity
    Judaism
    Islam
    Hinduism
    Buddhism

There are a number of more recent additions but I do not know all their names and many are based on Christianity.

They do not all have a 1 God concept, they didn't start at 'around the same time' and they did not have world wide coverage until thousands of years after they started so your 'around the globe' bit hardly works at all.
    Those that I know of with a 1 God concept all got it from the same source (Judaism).
  8. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 16:47
    Where does one read up on it? You are not being specific enough anyway.
    Can you list these 'major world religions' and give starting dates?
    I know of:
    Christianity
    Judaism
    Islam
    Hinduism
    Buddhism

There are a number of more recent additions but I do not know all their names and many are based on Christianity.

They do not all have a 1 God conce ...[text shortened]... ll.
    Those that I know of with a 1 God concept all got it from the same source (Judaism).
    The general theory is that roughly around 3000 Bc the major world religions (the ones that believe in God anyway) all got going but this does mean the spiritual traditions of the east (hindhuism) and middle east (judaism - of which Islam is a later spin off) . Hindhuism although espousing many gods in a way does have the concept of an overall spirit (brahman) which roughly corresponds to the judaic eternal God. I mainly got this from the writings of bede griffiths who is actually a hindhu . He spoke about an awakening of religion and understanding of God as eternal , invisible (cosmic revelation).
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 22:12
    Originally posted by Regicidal
    Unintelligent design. That's right, unintelligent.
    People have this notion that the beautiful, ordered design of the universe gives credence to the existence of a creator. Well, if there were a creator, then he's pretty unimpressive. There ain't nothin intelligent about stars and planets colliding, exploding, and moons expanding and leaving their orbits ...[text shortened]... eth that don't last, and even totally useless legacy organs.
    Hence, no intelligent creator.
    God has made men under its own image. There's a purpose for having non-lasting teeth. Think about dentists, how would they live?? God thought of that. You didn't.
    About legacy organs... if you have an infection, what do you think it's better to take off? An appendice or a liver? Yeah, appendices are there for a reason. God is more intelligent than you.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 23:555 edits
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I am not looking to debate, argue or point any fingers. I am genuinely curious what has given you that faith in your belief system. Was their a particular incident? A series of them?

On the other hand - for those who have never had faith in a supreme being - what brought you to that choice? Was there an incident or series of them?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you talk about a Christian's faith in terms of just some sheer will power to believe you miss the point.

Man's faith is only one side of the equation. The other side is the faithfulness of God. It is not man's faith in a vacuum. It is man's faith echoed by the faithfulness of God.

You said you studied many religions. If you had even a superficial read through of the Bible you should have noticed God's faithfulness.

It is not like Dorthy in the Wizard of OZ who grits her teeth and closes her eyes and repeats "I DO believe. I DO believe. I DO, I DO, I DO believe!!" Our Christians faith is matched and echoed by the faithfulness of God. Even His faithfulness to what He is and His word inspires our faith.

The Bible might be considered something like God's Resume. There is a record there of the faithfulness of God to those who had real faith. And this inspires some of us that He will yet again be faithful in the future.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Oct '07 21:23
    Wasn't it luke 19:27?
    Was it? Would you give the URL to the page where you begin your explanation?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree