1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 05:57
    Why does God allow today's skyscrapers to be constructed?!

Genesis 11

1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As men moved eastward, [a] they found a plain in Shinar [b] and settled there.
    3 They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
    5 But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. 6 The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
    8 So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel [c] —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 13:04
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem

Genesis 11

1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As men moved eastward, [a] they found a plain in Shinar [b] and settled there.
    3 They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. ...[text shortened]... of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.
    What do you think that story is about? If it were not about bricks, stone, tar and mortar, what would it be about?
  3. England
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 14:37
    i mostly thought it was a way of explaining the way mankind were distubuted throout the world with different speach. and also that god loved all mankind originaly.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 14:43
    And why does he allow people to learn foreign languages?
  5. The sky
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 14:46
    Originally posted by stoker
    i mostly thought it was a way of explaining the way mankind were distubuted throout the world with different speach. and also that god loved all mankind originaly.
    How does the story about the Tower of Babel show that God loved all mankind? And by adding "originally", do you hint that he doesn't do so anymore?
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 16:47
    It wasn't the skyscraper part, it was the intent-at-the-time part.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 17:18
    Don't people build skyscrapers for the exact same reason?

4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 00:23

4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
    I kind of look upon the phrase "make a name for ourselves" as a culture losing its "God consciousness" or awareness. Let's just replace the "tower" with the 1000 year reich. Or perhaps "the bomb."

You guys tend to be too literalistic about these Old Testament stories.
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 00:43
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I kind of look upon the phrase "make a name for ourselves" as a culture losing its "God consciousness" or awareness. Let's just replace the "tower" with the 1000 year reich. Or perhaps "the bomb."

Recced.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 00:50

Reccd you as well. That is excactly what it was about. A people who didn't "need" God or as you well stated "no God consciences."
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 01:45
    I heard about a play that was a contemporary rendition of Moses and the account of the golden calf. What do you think was the golden calf?

Breast implants. See how much fun the Bible can be.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 05:09

Again, the intent-at-the-time part. Today's folks aren't nearly a threat to themselves as folks at that time.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 07:45

I'm trying to apply the same form of interpretation to today's buildings. Do you really think that builders of skyscrapers are highly 'god-conscious'? Or is it more about making money and glorifying the name of a corporation or state government?

If the loss of god-consciousness is such a big problem, why is god no longer taking such drastic steps to halt man's achievements? As man builds impressive structures, makes new scientific discoveries, advances in medicine and technology, etc., isn't it inevitable that he will lose focus on seeking god for the answers to life's problems?
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 07:46
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Again, the intent-at-the-time part. Today's folks aren't nearly a threat to themselves as folks at that time.
    How were the folks 'at that time' a threat to themselves?
  15. England
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 13:51
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    How does the story about the Tower of Babel show that God loved all mankind? And by adding "originally", do you hint that he doesn't do so anymore?
    do i think he loves all mankind now no but he would love to if we all prayed to the same living god and not praying to gods made stone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree