1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 20:51
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I'm trying to apply the same form of interpretation to today's buildings. Do you really think that builders of skyscrapers are highly 'god-conscious'? Or is it more about making money and glorifying the name of a corporation or state government?

If the loss of god-consciousness is such a big problem, why is god no longer taking such drastic steps t ...[text shortened]... it inevitable that he will lose focus on seeking god for the answers to life's problems?
    Let me try to bring this story or its theme down to a personal level. As you hear it, see if there is anything universal in it for you. In other words, have you ever experienced this story if even on a smaller level.

There once was a young doctor. He worked hard in medical school. He was determined that he was going to make a lot of money. As he came from poor and meager circumstances he vowed he would never live like that. As he made money, lots of it, he found he was able to purchase many fine things like a big house, sports car, vacations, etc. But as he made more money he also found that he wanted more moeny. He began to work longer and longer hours. Eventually he quit taking vacations. He found he had little time or energy to spend with his family. He would come home late at night too exhausted to enjoy his family. This pattern continued for a number of years.

One night as he got home, he experienced a sudden shooting pain running down his left arm. His jaw also ached. He was becoming short of breath. His head knew what was happening, but wan't he only 40 years old?

The next morning he found himself in the intensive care unit. He heard an unusual question from his doctor after he told him his story. The question was "Was it worth it?"

We all have our own little towers of Babel.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 03:16
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Let me try to bring this story or its theme down to a personal level. As you hear it, see if there is anything universal in it for you. In other words, have you ever experienced this story if even on a smaller level.

There once was a young doctor. He worked hard in medical school. He was determined that he was going to make a lot of money. As he c ...[text shortened]... his story. The question was "Was it worth it?"

We all have our own little towers of Babel.
    There is nothing wrong with striving for success or making a name for yourself, but no success is worth throwing your life out of balance.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 04:22
    How were the folks 'at that time' a threat to themselves?
    Not sure, as the Bible is not specific with the details of the same. Kind of like Cain's mark, what fruit Adam and the woman ate, the type of fish that swallowed Jonah, or etc. Speculation abounds, but it's really not the issue. The issue was the intent.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 07:011 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Not sure, as the Bible is not specific with the details of the same. Kind of like Cain's mark, what fruit Adam and the woman ate, the type of fish that swallowed Jonah, or etc. Speculation abounds, but it's really not the issue. The issue was the intent.
    So why did you mention that people were a threat to themselves? Where did you get that idea?
  5. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 21:403 edits
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    And why does he allow people to learn foreign languages?
    Why ask why of a God all powerful, all knowing and all Holy? How can ants like you and I understand the wisdom of a God of infinite wisdom and purity of heart? God himself is a mystery. Even God gave Moses his name to be only "I AM THE GREAT I AM!" I just wonder why people filled with hearts of sin - whose very flesh is sinful - can honestly begin to think they can understand or define the same God who creates the amoeba to the cilia, the Sun and the Moon, the tides of the Oceans... a God who has made it all work against all odds! And, still people doubt! Astonishing! Blind are their eyes. The hearts must be opened before the veil of confusion is lifted through their souls.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 01:35
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Why ask why of a God all powerful, all knowing and all Holy? How can ants like you and I understand the wisdom of a God of infinite wisdom and purity of heart? God himself is a mystery. Even God gave Moses his name to be only "I AM THE GREAT I AM!" I just wonder why people filled with hearts of sin - whose very flesh is sinful - can honestly begin to ...[text shortened]... r eyes. The hearts must be opened before the veil of confusion is lifted through their souls.
    To respond to your first question: Because we can! Isn't it wonderful to know that God isn't threatened by questions the way humans tend to be? Are not questions the beginning of a relationship?
  7. London
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 01:38
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Are not questions the beginning of a relationship?
    "Haven't I seen you somewhere?"

But then pick-up lines can begin with compliments as well.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 04:33
    So why did you mention that people were a threat to themselves? Where did you get that idea?
    Right around verse six, I suppose!
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 17:22
    Right around verse six, I suppose!
    It's so typical that the number one thing religion fears is people who have the ability to do things for themselves.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 04:42
    It's so typical that the number one thing religion fears is people who have the ability to do things for themselves.
    Me thinks thou dost protest too much. Hard to believe, but some things are beyond the scope of human ability.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 05:48
    Me thinks thou dost protest too much. Hard to believe, but some things are beyond the scope of human ability.
    Like the ability to reach heaven with a tower built in the physical realm? My interpretation of the verses is that God is the one who felt threatened, although I have no idea why he would. Neither can I accept some strangely interpreted, vaguely defined 'danger to themselves' as correct -- why so extreme an action on the part of God in response to such a seemingly harmless activity as building a city?

I also find it hard to accept that God acted out of some concern that the people were forgetting about him and becoming too self-sufficient, greedy, power-hungry, etc. etc.

Finally, there are those who believe the story is not very literal or even mythical, like an Aesop's fable. I'm not sure what message they hope to get out of the story. Surely, just living modern, capitalistic life is a validation of the values of Babel. At no point in the story are Babel's builders potrayed as obsessively building to the point of forgetting all else (like the Kirksey story would suggest). I see no evidence of moral wrongdoing at all on their part, in fact.
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 06:49
    Why does God allow today's skyscrapers to be constructed?!

Genesis 11

1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As men moved eastward, [a] they found a plain in Shinar [b] and settled there.
    3 They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. ...[text shortened]... of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.
    To paraphrase the dumber of our RHP compatriots, this was obviously a prophesy of the 9/11 attacks. But let's not blame god for them, of course.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 18:35
    Neither can I accept some strangely interpreted, vaguely defined 'danger to themselves' as correct... I see no evidence of moral wrongdoing at all on their part, in fact.
    It has more to do with nationalism and compartmentalizing than anything else.
    Kind of tweaks the nose of the so-called diversity propenents, if you think about it. Here they want to break down all the barriers, when God Himself is the one who placed them there to keep us safe in the first place! If everyone is special...
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 21:591 edit
    It has more to do with nationalism and compartmentalizing than anything else.
    Kind of tweaks the nose of the so-called diversity propenents, if you think about it. Here they want to break down all the barriers, when God Himself is the one who placed them there to keep us safe in the first place! If everyone is special...
    What barriers? My digital voice recorder is made in Taiwan (or other far away land) and has separate manuals in three different languages. In this age of international flights, immigration and the internet, language differences are only a minor difficulty.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 22:02
    What barriers? My digital voice recorder is made in Taiwan (or other far away land) and has separate manuals in three different languages. In this age of international flights, immigration and the internet, language differences are only a minor difficulty.
    And the folks of Diversity, Now! are here to bring down the remaining ones. We're so smart.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree