1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 07:521 edit
    Today it is "Trettondag Jul" in Sweden!

"Trettondag Jul" means in English "the Thirteenth day after Christmas". It's a religious holiday in Sweden, and therefore we are free from work! I like it!

However, most of us in Sweden don't celebrate it in a religious way, we're just free fom work, and nothing else. For the most of us.

Is there a similar day in your country? Are everyone free from work today? Are you celebrating this day in any particular way where you live?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 09:21
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

"Trettondag Jul" means in English "the Thirteenth day after Christmas". It's a religious holiday in Sweden, and therefore we are free from work! I like it!

However, most of us in Sweden don't celebrate it in a religious way, we're just free fom work, and nothing else. For the most of us.

Is there a similar ...[text shortened]... ree from work today? Are you celebrating this day in any particular way where you live?
    No such day here in Trinidad. However we have 16 public holidays for the year. I thinks thats more than the average country. Anyway whats the religious significance of the 13th day after Christmas?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 09:23
    I recall having to take Christmas decorations down on the 5th or 6th of January (can't remember exactly) and I think it was a Catholic tradition - perhaps more cultural than religious.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 09:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    I recall having to take Christmas decorations down on the 5th or 6th of January (can't remember exactly) and I think it was a Catholic tradition - perhaps more cultural than religious.
    The 12th day after Christmas is when the decorations came down at home, that falls on the 5th Jan.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 15:241 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    The 6th of January is Advent. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

EDIT: Oops, I meant Epiphany, not Advent.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 15:29
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    The 12th day after Christmas is when the decorations came down at home, that falls on the 5th Jan.
    It's the 6th, PK, count again. 😛
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 15:47

Is there a similar ...[text shortened]... ree from work today? Are you celebrating this day in any particular way where you live?
    You do mean "the Twelfth day after Christmas", don't you?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 16:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    Most religions are as much culture and tradition as belief.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 16:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Most religions are as much culture and tradition as belief.
    Indeed. In terms of "culture and tradition" I am still very much a "Christian".
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 18:11
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You do mean "the Twelfth day after Christmas", don't you?
    "Trettndag" means "the thirtenth day", so yes I mean it.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 18:38
    "Trettndag" means "the thirtenth day", so yes I mean it.
    Then you must be talking about some mythical Jan. 7th holiday.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 18:46
    Then you must be talking about some mythical Jan. 7th holiday.
    I had heard that Christmas is a day earlier in Sweden
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 18:48
    if Dec. 25 is the "first day of Christmas", then Jan 6 is the "thirteenth day" -- I guess Epiphany comes the day AFTER the 12 days of Christmas have been completed.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 19:30
    It's the 6th, PK, count again. 😛
    Blame my girlfriend for that one, she took the decorations down yesterday instead of today.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 20:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I had heard that Christmas is a day earlier in Sweden
    Right. Problem solved. The 24 of december is the main christmans day in Sweden according to our tradition.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree