1. Joined
    24 Nov '04
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 21:47
    I need to make one thing clear here before I start- If you cannot answer my question from a Christian point of view (whether you believe it or not) then please save your comments for elsewhere. I want to know the Christian views on this topic.

I would just like somebody to explain, in some depth but not too much, the concept of the Holy Trinity, and a simple way of thinking of each of the 3 parts of it... I know it is the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, but what do each of those mean in practical terms to a Christian?
  2. Joined
    10 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 21:51
    Originally posted by borissa
    I need to make one thing clear here before I start- If you cannot answer my question from a Christian point of view (whether you believe it or not) then please save your comments for elsewhere. I want to know the Christian views on this topic.

I would just like somebody to explain, in some depth but not too much, the concept of the Holy Trinity, and a sim ...[text shortened]... the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, but what do each of those mean in practical terms to a Christian?
    The father is God, Jesus is the son, you can understand why, and then the holy spirit, that's the though one, as i see it, the holy spirit is what roams the world doing the deeds which god commands, and then also reports back to God with what's happened, and the holy spirit is everywhere yet nowhere.

if that makes any sense
  3. Joined
    24 Nov '04
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 21:53
    how can god command the holy spirit when he is the holy spirit?
  4. Joined
    10 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 21:56
    how can god command the holy spirit when he is the holy spirit?
    That's where views differ, some think that god and the holy spirit are the same, others don't and I one who believes they are two seperate entitys
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 22:07

I would just like somebody to explain, in some depth but not too much, the concept of the Holy Trinity, and a sim ...[text shortened]... the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, but what do each of those mean in practical terms to a Christian?
    I tend to look at is as if the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all three unique manifestations of the one God. The Father is the archetypal God of the Hebrew Scriptures, Jesus is God in human flesh, while the Holy Spirit is a sort of go-between. The Holy Spirit develops particular signifiance in the gospel of Luke and the Book of Acts. It is the Holy Spirit that guides Jesus (consider his baptism, it is the Holy Spirit that makes him go out into the wilderess), his disciples, the building of the church and it is the Holy Spirit that endows the apostles with the Kerygma (the teaching that Jesus was Messiah, who died and was resurrected) and the ability to speak in tongues.

For the most part, it is the Holy Spirit that is the most active part of the church. In sacraments it is the Holy Spirit that we recognize as present. And when Jesus says, (Matthew 16: 19) "For when two or three come together in my name, I am there with them," we identify it as the Holy Spirit that will be present.
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 18:15
    Originally posted by ayamethesnake
    That's where views differ, some think that god and the holy spirit are the same, others don't and I one who believes they are two seperate entitys
    I'm afraid it's more than "views differing" . If you believe the Holy Spirit and 'God' to be two separate entities then that is 2 Gods not one. Serious theological departure rather than just a "view"
  7. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 22:29
    There is only ONE God, not three. Yeshua is the original Hebrew proper name for Jesus of Nazareth. Yeshua was the name His mother called Him when she called Him for supper. In Hebrew Yeshua means "Salvation." His name can be found in, among other places, Isaiah 62:11 where it says in part “…Surely your salvation (Yeshua = Jesus) is coming. Behold His reward is with Him…” This salvation is a person.

When the angel spoke to Joseph (Mary’s husband), and said “And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus…” the angel was speaking Hebrew. The angel said His name would be called “Yeshua” or “Salvation.” Joseph understood what the angel was saying…the baby would be the person Isaiah was talking about.

God is a spirit (which we can’t normally see) and man is flesh, so for us to see God, He had to put on flesh. Since nobody could be found that was good enough to pay for sin, God, in effect, said, “I’ll put on flesh, and pay for it myself.”

Natural man is made up of a body and soul (mind), and cannot receive spiritual truths about God. Being “born again” is a SPIRITUAL birth…God puts His spirit in a man. Now that man actually has two sources of information coming into his mind. What his flesh is communicating through the five senses, and what God is communicating through the Spirit.

This explains why Christians sometimes get wrong…they choose to listen to what their body is saying and not what the Spirit is telling them.

I am of the Apostolic faith and realize the above explanation falls outside "traditional" Christianity's views on the trinity which they say can't be understood because the idea of three Beings being one God is too deep for us humans. In fact, they often go so far as to call people holding the above view a "cult." I don't doubt their faith and would make no judgments concerning their salvation unlike some of my Apostolic brethren. If you are claiming salvation in the name of Jesus, I'll accept that.
  8. Seattle
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 05:43
    In my experience, which I will say is little and consider myself gernerous, I can see it in three traits of 1 person.
    God-My creator
    Jesus-My redeamer
    Holy Spirit-My guide and my stregth in life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree