1. Calgary
    Moves
    12 Aug '05 16:28
    I think 90% of the bible is garbage. The only parts worth checking out is the stuff with Jesus in it. People put too much stock in the inconsequential parts because it agrees with whatever narrow point of view they have.
  2. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Aug '05 17:34
    Originally posted by Canadaguy
    I think 90% of the bible is garbage. The only parts worth checking out is the stuff with Jesus in it. People put too much stock in the inconsequential parts because it agrees with whatever narrow point of view they have.
    and because of that they wind up using Jesus as a posterboy for dogma that has little to do with his word,
  3. Calgary
    Moves
    12 Aug '05 17:37
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    and because of that they wind up using Jesus as a posterboy for dogma that has little to do with his word,
    I'm confused, are you agreeing with me, or contesting my statement.
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Aug '05 18:23
    I'm confused, are you agreeing with me, or contesting my statement.
    gave you a rec
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    12 Aug '05 18:441 edit
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    gave you a rec
    You rec people for just agreeing with you?
  6. Calgary
    Moves
    12 Aug '05 19:01
    Originally posted by Halitose
    You rec people for just agreeing with you?
    Meh, I'm not complaining. But oddly this thread isn't starting up the sihtstorm I had hoped for. BUMMER
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    12 Aug '05 19:59
    Meh, I'm not complaining. But oddly this thread isn't starting up the sihtstorm I had hoped for. BUMMER
    The forum's been dull all day.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '05 21:28
    i find the bible somewhat more palatable once the probable personal agenda of paul is extracted out. i have to thank frogstomp for helping me see that.
  9. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    14 Aug '05 10:40
    By now most people will probably have noticed that I don't believe in god.

BUT

To come on this board and write what you have is not a way to open a debate, but merely to stir up some peoples strong emotions on what is to them, a serious subject.

Not really necessary ..... was it?
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Aug '05 11:02
    Originally posted by Halitose
    The forum's been dull all day.
    This forum has been dull since the dawn of time (billions not thousands of years ago FYI).
  11. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    14 Aug '05 16:52
    So..........people should put stock in the parts they don't agree with?

Or is it better to put stock in a teacher, or author because you know you can trust Him, and then follow that by putting stock in everything He says or teaches?
  12. Joined
    10 Apr '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 23:35

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter how foolish it may sound.
    Personally, I believe and agree with the whole bible. I also believe that if it is God's Word which it is, there can be no contradictions. That is what is compelling about this book, or rather 66 books written throughout time with different writers who did not know each other for the most part. Yet every book, every verse compliments other verses, or at least agrees with them, keeping the whole of scripture in harmony. Any apparent contradictions are always an error on man's part, since God cannot lie, cannot contradict Himself and is always faithful to keep and protect His Word.

1 Pet 1:23-25
    23 ....... through the word of God which lives and abides forever,
    24 because "All flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grass. The grass withers, and its flower falls away,
    25 But the word of the Lord endures forever......"
    (NKJ)

13. Calgary
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 20:18
    Originally posted by chinking58
    So..........people should put stock in the parts they [b]don't agree with?

Or is it better to put stock in a teacher, or author because you know you can trust Him, and then follow that by putting stock in everything He says or teaches?[/b]
    No, I just saying get rid of all the useless crap. Only the stuff Jesus said and did are important. He's the only example we need, the rest of the bible only waters down that message, and creates contradictory ideas.
  14. Standard memberkrisvictor
    Chess Student
    Richmond, VA
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 20:28
    No, I just saying get rid of all the useless crap. Only the stuff Jesus said and did are important. He's the only example we need, the rest of the bible only waters down that message, and creates contradictory ideas.
    Hmmm... "Useless crap"? I gather you do not have what it takes to learn from reading the Word of God. Do you actually believe what you say or do you just say it to say it? Are you a student of the Bible in mind only or of mind and spirit? You seem to stand ready to pass judgement on the Bible as ... what was it...? 80% garbage? Please explain.
  15. Standard memberkrisvictor
    Chess Student
    Richmond, VA
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 20:29
    I apologize.. You said "90% garbage".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree