1. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    28 May '07 16:21
    Originally posted by Starrman
    If your question is can we have a claim to knowledge without any supporting facts, or in possession of incorrect beliefs, then yes (see Gettier). If the question is can we know something as true, even when it is in opposition to the body of evidence supporting it, then no. If the question is can we glean some truth from otherwise factually unconcerned stories, then sure, why not?
    The question is actually c.

If you're right, Starrman, and here xians will need to chime in, then why the need to insist on factual inerrancy in the bible?

Can't the bible yield truth without it?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    28 May '07 16:411 edit
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd

If you're right, Starrman, and here xians will need to chime in, then why the need to insist on factual inerrancy in the bible?

It's the particulars of which truths you have access to which is important. Nobody would say that the concepts that arise from some of the parables, or indeed the overall message in the NT is not one that people can gain from, but if you wish to hold a claim to the actual existence and knowledge of god, then you're stretching things.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '07 17:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Though not in the way you are implying. I do not go around trying to justify my belief that God does not exist because it is not a foundational belief for me. It is simply a fact. Just like you would not call it a foundational belief that Buddha is not some very important entity in your life. You wouldn't go round trying to justify that.
    Also, I doubt if ...[text shortened]... read my post and the counter examples given. Unless maybe he also believes in fairy tales.
    It isn't a belief for you it is a fact, wow. I guess the whole fact and
    belief thing is a matter of perspective than? I don't argue Buddha
    with anyone, what would be the point? I do think our foundational
    points are all up for grabs, if for example your belief that God is not
    real and your claim it is a fact sort of implies don't you think that
    you have some thing you could show us all to prove your point, it
    being a fact and not a belief as far as your concern. People go after
    others foundational views all the time here, state one and more
    than likely there could be a disagreement.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '07 17:361 edit

Yes, it can yield some truth without being factual; however, it changes
    the truth if for example God isn't real and didn't create everything
    than some of the cool stories within scripture take on whole new
    meanings and actions that occurred that were justified by God simply
    take on a whole new meaning. The foundation of the scripture where
    it starts out with "In the beginning God..." if it isn't true, the book
    takes on a whole new meaning, while if true it carries with it another
    completely different take on reality. Which is why many times people
    speak past one another here, because of the different foundational
    assumptions they start with while viewing both scripture and universe.
    Kelly
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 May '07 02:58
    Is it possible for something to be true without being factually accurate?

That is, could a biblical story be true, even if it historically happened differently, or even not at all?

What would truth mean in such circumstances?
    I believe the answer is no to the first two questions.

It wouldn't be the truth if it wasn't factually accurate.

In my opinion.
  6. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    29 May '07 06:03
    Originally posted by jaywill
    One thing amid the different testimonies is sure to me. Jesus did rise from the dead. A miracle occured....But the essence of the witness seems to be trustworthy. This kind of multiple testimonies, difficult to reconcile, I take as a sign of the authenticity of the core event.
    David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear in one of his many acts. Many people witnessed the event. They would readily testify to what they thought they saw with their very own eyes. What do you think really happened? Did the statue really disappear?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 May '07 06:15
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear in one of his many acts. Many people witnessed the event. They would readily testify to what they thought they saw with their very own eyes. What do [b]you think really happened? Did the statue really disappear?[/b]
    It was a miracle! He must be the Messiah!
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 May '07 07:00
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    It isn't a belief for you it is a fact, wow. I guess the whole fact and
    belief thing is a matter of perspective than? I don't argue Buddha
    with anyone, what would be the point? I do think our foundational
    points are all up for grabs, if for example your belief that God is not
    real and your claim it is a fact sort of implies don't you think that
    you hav ...[text shortened]... iews all the time here, state one and more
    than likely there could be a disagreement.
    Kelly
    You misunderstood what I was trying to say. Its my fault for not being clear enough. What I meant was that my lack of belief in God is the same as my lack of belief in pink unicorns. Is not something I feel the need to verify. I don't call my lack of belief in pink unicorns a foundational belief. Its just an unimportant fact of life. If I thought that my afterlife depended on the accuracy of my lack of belief in pink unicorns then maybe I would check in my fridge at every opportunity just to make sure there weren't any there, then you could call it a foundational belief.
    Anyway jaywill has more or less admitted that I was right and listed other reasons why he believes in the reserection whilst failing to support his initial claim.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 May '07 16:553 edits
    It is curious to me that you seem to exert 100 times more energy into justifying your unbelief in God then you do for unbelief in pink unicorns.

Clearly, denying one takes much more importance to you over denying the other.

So why pretend that they are just about the same or on equal levels of concern to you?
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 May '07 07:12
    It is curious to me that you seem to exert 100 times more energy into justifying your unbelief in God then you do for unbelief in pink unicorns.

Clearly, denying one takes much more importance to you over denying the other.

So why pretend that they are just about the same or on equal levels of concern to you?
    The difference is that we take the time to analyse and structure our beliefs so that they are supported and not contradictory or hypocritical, we don't blindfold ourselves, dip our hands in the pot and expect to pull out the right prize.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 May '07 07:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You misunderstood what I was trying to say. Its my fault for not being clear enough. What I meant was that my lack of belief in God is the same as my lack of belief in pink unicorns. Is not something I feel the need to verify. I don't call my lack of belief in pink unicorns a foundational belief. Its just an unimportant fact of life. If I thought that my ...[text shortened]... other reasons why he believes in the reserection whilst failing to support his initial claim.
    "I do not go around trying to justify my belief that God does not exist because it is not a foundational belief for me. It is simply a fact."

You claim, it isn't a belief it is a fact! I'd say that you have a great
    deal faith, your universe is void of a creator. That is a possitive
    position on this universe, and all evidence is sifted through that
    belief, to the point that somethings are accepted, and others rejected
    simply because of the beliefs you have about the universe, pink
    unicorns not required.
    Kelly
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '07 08:42
    belief, to the point that somethings are accepted, and others rejected
    simply because of the beliefs you have about the universe, pink
    unicorns not required.
    Kelly
    So where is the difference between my faith that the universe is void of a creator and my faith that the universe is void of pink unicorns? Surely creators are just as unrequired as pink unicorns?
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 May '07 08:431 edit
    "I do not go around trying to justify my belief that God does not exist because it is not a foundational belief for me. It is simply a fact."

bel ...[text shortened]... mply because of the beliefs you have about the universe, pink
    unicorns not required.
    Kelly
    If he has "a great deal of faith" there is no creator, that equally means that YOU have a great deal of faith in the non-existence of many things. Is that right? Do you positively believe in the lack of leprechauns, or do you actually just not think about it most of the time?

In any case, THERE IS NO PHYSICAL EVIDENCE FOR GOD WHATSOEVER, the default position should be one of scepticism.

[edit, ps. how you going with that paper? should have had time to read it by now. I look forward to your point by point rebuttal soon.]
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '07 08:47
    It is not so much me trying to justify my unbelief but me discussing your beliefs. If I met more people who believed in pink unicorns and wanted it to be taught in the science classroom then I would probably do the same with them. If you lived with Buddhists or Hindus or Muslims and they tried to convince you that their religion was correct and to teach your children the same, would you not try to reason with them?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '07 10:16

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree