1. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    13 May '13 10:332 edits
    133,000 children under the age of 5 have died of starvation in Somalia, between 2010 and 2013. Nearly a quarter of million human beings died slowly of starvation in total.

    It appears none of the powerful global economic and military nations could help them and were defeated by a ragtag band of nutty Islamic militia refusing aid attempts. No heroes here.
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    Joined
    09 Apr '10
    Moves
    14251
    13 May '13 10:51
    Originally posted by Taoman
    133,000 children under the age of 5 have died of starvation in Somalia, between 2010 and 2013. Nearly a quarter of million human beings died slowly of starvation in total.

    It appears none of the powerful global economic and military nations could help them and were defeated by a ragtag band of nutty Islamic militia refusing aid attempts. No heroes here.
    No oil in Somalia.
  3. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    13 May '13 11:07
    Originally posted by Taoman
    133,000 children under the age of 5 have died of starvation in Somalia, between 2010 and 2013. Nearly a quarter of million human beings died slowly of starvation in total.

    It appears none of the powerful global economic and military nations could help them and were defeated by a ragtag band of nutty Islamic militia refusing aid attempts. No heroes here.
    Its not just countries with militia refusing aid that have poverty and starvation. It is a worldwide problem. It could be dealt with easily and quickly if there was the political will to do so.
  4. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    13 May '13 14:38
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    No oil in Somalia.
    So painfully true.
  5. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    13 May '13 14:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Its not just countries with militia refusing aid that have poverty and starvation. It is a worldwide problem. It could be dealt with easily and quickly if there was the political will to do so.
    Yes. It's such s--t!
  6. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    13 May '13 14:56
    Ah, what lamenting really means.
    There is a time and place to lament loudly with a lot of swearing, ripping of clothes and breaking of things.
    There is a place for cursing and loud wailing...
    It doesn't do anything...
    and that makes you wail louder and longer...

    Can we imagine what its like to die of starvation and thirst slowly?
    And this in a world where so many prosperous back alley bins are full to overflowing with discarded food.

    It truly makes one feel sick.
  7. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    13 May '13 15:19
    Emptiness, enables good deep wailing!
    No need to cling to the wailing, or let it cling to you.
    Free to enter fully the lamenting, the tears of recognition for a while.
    We remember Samsara is Nirvana,
    even as we wail and thrash about.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91666
    14 May '13 00:481 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    No oil in Somalia.
    No people either.

    (apparently the only beings that are actually human, according to the news people, live on the U.S., or are affiliated closely with the U.S., like Australia, who politically in just another state of the U.S. )
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91666
    14 May '13 00:52
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Ah, what lamenting really means.
    There is a time and place to lament loudly with a lot of swearing, ripping of clothes and breaking of things.
    There is a place for cursing and loud wailing...
    It doesn't do anything...
    and that makes you wail louder and longer...

    Can we imagine what its like to die of starvation and thirst slowly?
    And this in a wo ...[text shortened]... s back alley bins are full to overflowing with discarded food.

    It truly makes one feel sick.
    Sometimes I get so mad, that my mind takes me beyond wanting to go and physically disrupt the source of the problem to actually setting in motion the actions that would have the most chance of successfully rectifying the problem. You sort of feel like the Terminator.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91666
    14 May '13 00:541 edit
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Emptiness, enables good deep wailing!
    No need to cling to the wailing, or let it cling to you.
    Free to enter fully the lamenting, the tears of recognition for a while.
    We remember Samsara is Nirvana,
    even as we wail and thrash about.
    and thrash and wail I will, with all my strength, while I still have one eye on the "prize", until I reach the point of absolute,complete exhaustion, mentally and physically 😉
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91666
    14 May '13 01:011 edit
    The east coast, and most populated region of Australia, is a safe and clean place which is well policed and filled with friendly, easy-going people.

    When you go west out to places with only a gas station and a pub people keep there mouths shut.
    Just a few km's out of Coober Pedy there are many deep, deep holes in the ground. The locals know which are deepest. Apparently more then a few people have "dissapeared" into these holes.
    (Coober Pedy is a mining town famous for it's opals. It seems than many immigrants have laid a claim there as the main street boasts restaurants and eateries from at least 50 different nationalities. I'm sure there would have been disputes in the early days when they were all going there to find opals which were settled wild west style. )
Back to Top