1. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Nov '15 05:431 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The point was: what does it matter what I believe?
    Apart from making a complete and utter fool of yourself and rendering you unable to navigate, it makes very little difference. Luckily the pilot in the original thought experiment would not take your advice on the matter but would use his own calculations to find the nearest airport.

Of course, despite your denials, the question was answered many times by many people in this thread.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Nov '15 17:43
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why are you pretending that the astronomical horizon and the true horizon are the same thing and therefore you have been incorrectly using them interchangeably? Your own wiki link demonstrates they are different. I think you have dismantled yourself and your credibility in this thread.
    Perhaps you'd like to quote me where I am "pretending that the astronomical horizon and the true horizon are the same thing," since I haven't done so once.

Your ability to figure out who is saying what is suspect.
    It is not my own wiki, as I very clearly stated it's not the greatest source given the ease of manipulation.
    Instead, I've offered multiple sources for supporting any of the claims I've put forth here.

On the other hand, you have people who insist they know exactly the reality of the situation, yet they contradict their own claims--- that is, when their own claims aren't contradicted by reality, of course.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Nov '15 22:35
    Perhaps you'd like to quote me where I am "pretending that the astronomical horizon and the true horizon are the same thing," since I haven't done so once.

Your ability to figure out who is saying what is suspect.
    It is not my own wiki, as I very clearly stated it's not the greatest source given the ease of manipulation.
    Instead, I've offered multiple ...[text shortened]... ct their own claims--- that is, when their own claims aren't contradicted by reality, of course.
    In the seventh post of the previous page made on the 20th of November at 01:42 GMT you wrote:
    You seem to have ignored what was in that link and continued this rather strange argumentation using terminology which does not support your case.
    The astronomical horizon Reveal Hidden Content
    The position of the astronomical horizon is independent of and not affected by any mountains or other obstructions visible from the observer's position. At The Solar Almanac, calculations of sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, etc. ignore local obstructions and so are defined in terms of your astronomical horizon.
    is and has been used interchangeably with the true horizon, although I have used mostly the true horizon.

Some have erroneously attempted to use the term in a manner which gives an appearance of distinction when none exists.
    You've demonstrated the importance of trying to scrutinize one's beliefs and avoid believing false things - lack of meta-cognitive skill means that you just keep making errors while thinking you're getting it right.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 00:22
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    In the seventh post of the previous page made on the 20th of November at 01:42 GMT you wrote:[quote][b]You seem to have ignored what was in that link and continued this rather strange argumentation using terminology which does not support your case.
    The astronomical horizon [hidden]The position of the astronomical horizon is independent of and not a ...[text shortened]... a-cognitive skill means that you just keep making errors while thinking you're getting it right.[/b]
    The portion you quote is not me using the terms interchangeably; it is simply noting the terms have been used interchangeably in the discussion.

Also within the part you quoted is the fact that my focus has consistently been on the true horizon.

It is apparent that those who have argued against the points made are more content in claiming victory than in supporting their beliefs, even going so far as to deny the obvious which does not require any interpretation.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 00:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Apart from making a complete and utter fool of yourself and rendering you unable to navigate, it makes very little difference. Luckily the pilot in the original thought experiment would not take your advice on the matter but would use his own calculations to find the nearest airport.

Of course, despite your denials, the question was answered many times by many people in this thread.
    Luckily the pilot in the original thought experiment would not take your advice on the matter but would use his own calculations to find the nearest airport.
    Actually, the pilot followed exactly what I have been suggesting for the greater part of this discussion: he followed the straight path to the destination.
    Take a look at the flight on a flat earth map.
    From beginning to end, the path is pretty close to a straight shot... with the emergency landing right in the lane of normal flight, with very little deviation.
    Go figure.

Of course the question was.
    Unfortunately, the "answers" on the divergent topic demonstrated how woefully ignorant most people are with respect to things they "know," how poorly they are equipped to give straight answers to questions on the topic and, of course, how quick they are to post outright falsity or blatant contradiction...
    and when all of that fails, resort to attacks on the person.

Yep, every single person who posted in argument seems to have a pretty good grip on things they believe.
    😲
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 03:151 edit
    The portion you quote is not me using the terms interchangeably; it is simply noting the terms have been used interchangeably in the discussion.

Also within the part you quoted is the fact that my focus has consistently been on the true horizon.

It is apparent that those who have argued against the points made are more content in claiming victory tha ...[text shortened]... eir beliefs, even going so far as to deny the obvious which does not require any interpretation.
    The last sentence of what I quoted damns you because you clearly state that it is an error to regard them as being distinct.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree