1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    04 May '06 04:291 edit
    What issues should be addressed at Vatican III?

    A couple ideas I had:
    The Permissibility of Rubbers in Various Scenarios
    The Child Molestation Budget
    The Doctrine of Infallibility: Have We Been Wrong All Along?

    Any others?
  2. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    17 Feb '04
    Moves
    49979
    04 May '06 04:39
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    What issues should be addressed at Vatican III?

    A couple ideas I had:
    The Permissibility of Rubbers in Various Scenarios
    The Child Molestation Budget
    The Doctrine of Infallibility: Have We Been Wrong All Along?

    Any others?
    Ordaining women to replace the aging preisthood?
  3. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    55272
    04 May '06 05:01
    One of the largest problems facing the Catholic church (in comparison to other churches, sub-churches and cults like the baptists) is that the amount of men (and women) turning to the "cloth" has been steadily declining over the decades.

    To put it quite frankly: "More people want to have sex rather than preach".

    So, I reckon the Catholic church will have to face up to this one.
  4. Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    7051
    04 May '06 09:16
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    What issues should be addressed at Vatican III?

    A couple ideas I had:
    The Permissibility of Rubbers in Various Scenarios
    The Child Molestation Budget
    The Doctrine of Infallibility: Have We Been Wrong All Along?

    Any others?
    In all seriousness I think the Vatican should discuss biology in more depth. It argues its theology as if science doesn't exist. I'm thinking of embryonic research and the like.
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    04 May '06 09:28
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    In all seriousness I think the Vatican should discuss biology in more depth. It argues its theology as if science doesn't exist. I'm thinking of embryonic research and the like.
    Morality precedes scientific pursuit. If you disagree, then you surely wouldn’t have a problem with Josef Mengele and his experiments would you?
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    04 May '06 09:311 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Morality precedes scientific pursuit.
    Does morality precede biology?

    (I take it you're against all forms of animal experimentation).
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    14671
    04 May '06 09:54
    1. Open meeting
    2. Apologies
    3. Minutes
    4. God
    5. God-related stuff
    6. Close meeting

    That should do it.
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    04 May '06 10:27
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Does morality precede biology?

    (I take it you're against all forms of animal experimentation).
    Does morality precede biology?

    Are you questioning whether morality taints our understanding of biological principles? I think not.

    My point is that morality should precede the methodology by which we assimilate scientific data, not how we understand it.

    I take it you're against all forms of animal experimentation.

    Err... what makes you think that? Experimentation in and of itself is not morally objectionable IMO.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    04 May '06 10:35
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Are you questioning whether morality taints our understanding of biological principles? I think not. My point is that morality should precede the methodology by which we assimilate scientific data, not how we understand it.
    Err... what makes you think that? Experimentation in and of itself is not morally objectionable IMO.
    I think biology affects our notions of morality, so they're all tied up.

    Mengele's antics disgust you but the same applied to a family of chimps would not?
  10. Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    7051
    04 May '06 11:11
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Morality precedes scientific pursuit. If you disagree, then you surely wouldn’t have a problem with Josef Mengele and his experiments would you?
    Predictable, I mention embryonic research and someone immediately begins the Nazi-scare campaign. I do not want to become involved in a protracted debate on morality but I will just comment that without a scientific consciousness, morality is vitiated. How do you propose we make moral decisions without an informed scientific knowledge?

    The Catholic church is not well informed on biology and are often liable to make embarassing statements (I'm thinking of Intelligent design proponents who completely deny evolution as valid).

    And not all scientists who advocate embryonic research are like Josef Mengele either.
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    04 May '06 12:111 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Mengele's antics disgust you but the same applied to a family of chimps would not?
    I'm sorry. Maybe this is too complex for my understanding, but do you have a point?
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    04 May '06 12:16
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Predictable, I mention embryonic research and someone immediately begins the Nazi-scare campaign. I do not want to become involved in a protracted debate on morality but I will just comment that without a scientific consciousness, morality is vitiated. How do you propose we make moral decisions without an informed scientific knowledge?

    The Catholic chur ...[text shortened]... lid).

    And not all scientists who advocate embryonic research are like Josef Mengele either.
    This is not a Nazi-scare campaign; it is taking a principle to its logical conclusion. You seem to have no problem doing this with the TOE; why are you suddenly so skittish when it’s applied to another area?

    Define "scientific consciousness".
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    04 May '06 12:30
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I'm sorry. Maybe this is too complex for my understanding, but do you have a point?
    It's probably too simple for your understanding.
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    04 May '06 13:15
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    It's probably too simple for your understanding.
    Perhaps. Weren't you one of those who were about to stone me when I claimed that Darwin drastically affected (and changed) the moral perceptions of our society? You can't have your cake and eat it.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    04 May '06 13:40
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Perhaps. Weren't you one of those who were about to stone me when I claimed that Darwin drastically affected (and changed) the moral perceptions of our society? You can't have your cake and eat it.
    Stoning? Reign in that martyr complex, it'll tear you apart. I don't recall your exact words, but I seem to remember you saying that Darwin was responsible for Hitler. Quite ridiculous.

    Why don't you find it morally reprehensible to carry out experiments on chimpanzees?
Back to Top