1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 May '06 19:39
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    AFAIK, you cannot monetarily settle a criminal case - or is US law different?
    Wherever, it's the same old hustle with the muscle, if he got a good suit on or if he wear a funny hat, a racket is something that it's good to be in on.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    10 May '06 20:01

I would think that the US Church would've realised that such "gag orders" are counterproductive in the post-scandal environment and, therefore, they would not be routine now. orfeo's post suggests that's the case in other countries that have faced similar scandals.
    You would be naive to believe it.
  3. London
    Moves
    10 May '06 20:03
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    You would be naive to believe it.
    I would be naive to believe they no longer occur. I would not be naive to believe they are no longer routine.
  4. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    10 May '06 20:05
    We're not talking about confidentiality clauses in general - just the ones that prevent criminal prosecution. It is this specific class that goes to your assertion.

I would think that the US Church would've realised that such "gag orders" are counterproductive in the post-scandal environment and, therefore, they would not be routine now. orfeo's post suggests that's the case in other countries that have faced similar scandals.
    I didn't mean to suggest that the church here has seen the error of its ways IN GENERAL. Certainly there are individual clergy who now understand the damage caused by secretive settlements, but I'm not at all sure that the church as a whole has learnt not to listen to lawyers who are applying principles from non-church contexts.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    10 May '06 20:071 edit
    Originally posted by orfeo
    I didn't mean to suggest that the church here has seen the error of its ways IN GENERAL. Certainly there are individual clergy who now understand the damage caused by secretive settlements, but I'm not at all sure that the church as a whole has learnt not to listen to lawyers who are applying principles from non-church contexts.
    Of course it hasn't. When we see victims routinely getting settlements AND pressing criminal charges and publicly disclosing their cases, then we'll know that it has.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 May '06 20:17
    Of course it hasn't. When we see victims routinely getting settlements AND pressing criminal charges and publicly disclosing their cases, then we'll know that it has.
    For the sake of the last future victims.
  7. London
    Moves
    10 May '06 20:42
    Do you have any reason to think that is the case?
  8. London
    Moves
    10 May '06 20:43
    Are you saying that victims today are not routinely getting settlements or pressing criminal charges or publicly disclosing their cases?
  9. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    10 May '06 22:31
    Do you have any reason to think that is the case?
    The fact that the flow of complaints about the church's actions and the subsequent contrition from clergy who see the error of past decisions doesn't seem to have dried up yet.
  10. London
    Moves
    11 May '06 15:36
    The fact that the flow of complaints about the church's actions and the subsequent contrition from clergy who see the error of past decisions doesn't seem to have dried up yet.
    What is the proportion of new complaints as opposed to those that occurred years, even decades back?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree