1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '13 23:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You did not read. This was not the normal C-14 testing, but FT-IR testing. That is Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy which can be used to date things.

http://www.webexhibits.org/pigments/intro/spectroscopy.html

The Instructor
    I did my graduate work in atomic spectroscopy and I believe that FT-IR can only be used for dating in an indirect way. For example if it is known that a certain painting pigment was only in use during a certain time period, FT-IR can confirm whether the pigment is present in a painting and if so, that can date the painting to the time period. I am not aware of how FT-IR was used in looking at the shroud.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Oct '13 23:482 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    I did my graduate work in atomic spectroscopy and I believe that FT-IR can only be used for dating in an indirect way. For example if it is known that a certain painting pigment was only in use during a certain time period, FT-IR can confirm whether the pigment is present in a painting and if so, that can date the painting to the time period. I am not aware of how FT-IR was used in looking at the shroud.
    It has advanced since your graduate work. It now can be used to date both organic and inorganic particles as I understand it. FT-IR is the way these last dates were obtained because no part of the shroud has to be destroyed that way. The scientist have determined that the shroud is not a painting, so obviously they would not use Ft-IR if it could only date paintings.

I can't say this dating method is accurate since I am not a scientist. However, it has been stated that it is a very accurate dating method and there is no examples of wildly inaccurate dates given like there is for C-14 dating.

The Instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree