1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 11:32
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    What motivated you, do you think, to hand the money in?
    Don't misunderstand me; I was rather inconsistent. I also did some shoplifting
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 11:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    I also did some shoplifting
    Me too! Mars bars on the way home from school mostly.

Got caught 😳
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 11:46
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Me too! Mars bars on the way home from school mostly.

Got caught 😳
    Waiting to pay, a Curly Wurly in hand, and the exact money. Power cut. Pitch black. Left the money for the Curly Wurly on the counter, and left the shop with Twixes, Rollos, and Milky Bar Kids too.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 14:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    Don't misunderstand me; I was rather inconsistent. I also did some shoplifting
    Reminds me of the joke about the shoplifter found dead under Tesco. (Left out the Irish part due to it being the friendly month of August).

Don't think i have ever stolen anything directly, but did once benefit from the pound note my sister stole from our father. (Though to this day she denies it). Human beings are indeed inconsistent, and prone to selective memory.

Curly Wurlys by the way don't exist. They are an urban myth. (like aardvarks and margarine).
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 14:18
    Don't think i have ever stolen anything directly...
    Apart from a few people's thunder here from time to time.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 14:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    Apart from a few people's thunder here from time to time.
    Oh yes, i have stolen plenty of that.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 17:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    Waiting to pay, a Curly Wurly in hand, and the exact money. Power cut. Pitch black. Left the money for the Curly Wurly on the counter, and left the shop with Twixes, Rollos, and Milky Bar Kids too.
    I'm not proud of my petty criminal past but I do sometimes have a "face-palm" when I remember things like breaking into social clubs and even onto an ice-cream van once, nicking cars and dreadful criminal damage with a motorbike on a bowling green. I suppose it's not much given the time span of my youth but I was fortunate not to get my collar felt.
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 17:591 edit
    While out on a Sunday morning stroll, walking your Chihuahua, you find a wallet on the ground full of cash. (No credit cards or identity details etc). Two questions:

1. Would 'you' hand it in to the police?
    2. Would a religious person be more likely to do so?
    I don't claim to always take the morally correct road. What I would do depends on the following:

a) Whether I'm in a "charitable" mood
    b) Whether there are others present
    c) Whether, relative to what I am able to save each month, there is a lot of money in the wallet
    d) Whether I am confident there is some way for the original to demonstrate the wallet is his/hers
    e) Whether the wallet contains items of sentimental value etc...

Assuming not a, then:
    If d is false I would regard it as a wallet-less wad of cash and keep it (and depending on b I might feign intention to hand it in)
    If d is true then if e is also true I would probably (independent of c) hand it in.
    if d is true and e is false, then if c is true I'd probably take the money and re-drop the wallet for someone else to find (and hopefully hand in)
    if d is true and e is false, and c is false then I'd probably hand it in

This doesn't exhaust all cases btw.
    But all that said, the biggest influence here would be whether a is true ... often it is - sometimes it isn't
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 18:03
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I don't claim to always take the morally correct road. What I would do depends on the following:

a) Whether I'm in a "charitable" mood
    b) Whether there are others present
    c) Whether, relative to what I am able to save each month, there is a lot of money in the wallet
    d) Whether I am confident there is some way for the original to demonstrate the wallet i ...[text shortened]... said, the biggest influence here would be whether a is true ... often it is - sometimes it isn't
    By the time you figured all that out the Chihuahua would have eaten the wallet.

😞
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 18:12
    By the time you figured all that out the Chihuahua would have eaten the wallet.

😞
    ah yes, that reminds me:

f) whether there are any fierce looking dogs, insects I'm afraid of, townies, etc ... that might make approaching said wallet hazardous
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 18:58
    Originally posted by Agerg
    ah yes, that reminds me:

f) whether there are any fierce looking dogs, insects I'm afraid of, townies, etc ... that might make approaching said wallet hazardous
    I've decided suddenly that i wouldn't hand in a purple wallet. Anyone with such a wallet doesn't deserve to get it back.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 19:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Exactly.

But not Bagpus so much as Chigley and Camberwick Green (as opposed to the urban moral vacuum that Trumpton represented).
    I, of course, have no earthly idea what any of that means (beyond the "exactly" ).
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 20:16
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I, of course, have no earthly idea what any of that means (beyond the "exactly" ).
    You're telling us you've had a Bagpuss free existence?!?

Oh the humanity.

YouTube
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 21:44

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 22:471 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Dogs don't worry about questions like these. 🙂
    Ever since Snoopy established the doctrine of 'Anything that falls on the floor is legally mine!' the canine legal position on the matter has been made clear, at least according to Dogs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree