1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 06:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    How is it passive aggressive if I make a direct, no-beating-about-the-bush comment about your semi-ludicrous, verging-on-paranoia answer to the OP's straight forward question? 😉
    Wow, you did it again...

Why do you want to pan for gold in this babbling brook when you're able to produce so much of your own golden babble? 😵😉😴
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 06:52
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Wow, you did it again...

Why do you want to pan for gold in this babbling brook when you're able to produce so much of your own golden babble? 😵😉😴
    Do you think you owe any of the paranoia and confusion that you exhibited in your long answer to the 'Wallet Found' dilemma on the previous page to your religious beliefs ~ something mentioned in the OP?
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 07:02
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Crumbs!

So you've been burned when you've acted out of self-interest and would therefore hand the wallet in...

...but hang-on, you've also been called a fool when you've done the right thing...and called "stupid" and called an "idiot" by people with knots in thier shorts who should mind their own business because...the wallet would be yours, not th ...[text shortened]... Edit: No wonder you find it so difficult to unequivocally state your position in the hot topics!
    I guess you could always pretend to hand the wallet in, but secretly keep it in order to win these arguments.

When did this become an argument? It can only be an argument if you're feeling argumentative, so if you feel the need to 'win' then by all means declare yourself the winner.

No wonder you find it so difficult to unequivocally state your position in the hot topics!

Huh? Oh, okay... I get it now.

I was wondering what that was supposed to mean, or how it's relevant to the OP... but then I remembered to consider the source. Sometimes I forget to do that.😵
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 07:06
    When did this become an argument? It can only be an argument if you're feeling argumentative, so if you feel the need to 'win' then by all means declare yourself the winner.
    Perhaps you should revisit your own "venting" in your post on the previous page.
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 07:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you think you owe any of the paranoia and confusion that you exhibited in your long answer to the 'Wallet Found' dilemma on the previous page to your religious beliefs ~ something mentioned in the OP?
    Do you charge admission for people to peek into your ear to see the circus going on in your mind? If you don't then you are not a very good business man, and you are missing out on a 'golden' opportunity.
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 07:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps you should revisit your own "venting" in your post on the previous page.
    Wow... and you think I'm paranoid? That post (on the previous page) wasn't about you. It had nothing to do with you, and you were the farthest thing from my mind when I wrote it. But yet again something that has nothing to do with you has now magically become all about you.

So, is this message going into one of your files to be later used long after everyone else has forgotten about it?🙄😲🙄
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 07:19
    [b]I guess you could always pretend to hand the wallet in, but secretly keep it in order to win these arguments.

No wonder you find it so difficult to unequivocally state ...[text shortened]... vant to the OP... but then I remembered to consider the source. Sometimes I forget to do that.😵
    You have previously admitted to to pretending to be something you are not in order to win an argument. I was reminding you of this, and helping you to overcome the "twisted shorts" brigade.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 07:231 edit
    Wow... and you think [b]I'm paranoid? That post (on the previous page) wasn't about you. It had nothing to do with you, and you were the farthest thing from my mind when I wrote it. But yet again something that has nothing to do with you has now magically become all about you.[/b]
    I consider the post that you wrote about yourself on the previous page to be wholly about you and not about me. The question is, how do your religious beliefs affect the peculiar wrestling match you seem to have with yourself and which involves all manner of worries about what other people think of you (people who may or may not have hurt you in some way in the past)?
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 07:351 edit
    Oh good, the Troll Brothers are back together again! I'll bet chaney3 could knock them both out in the first round without breaking into a sweat.

Thread 165051
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 07:40
    I've been called a fool on more than one occasion for doing the right thing... I've also been called stupid, and an idiot, and other names like that. Some people just can't stand it if they see you doing the right thing.
    I can scarcely remember having met or known anyone in my life who "just can't stand it if they see [me] doing the right thing".

There may have been one or two, maybe, but they are of no consequence to me, and couldn't possibly have any bearing on how I answer questions about morality now.

If a may ask, do you know a lot of people who think like that and who 'call you names' for "doing the right thing"? Are some of them people you'd consider to be your friends or colleagues?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 08:071 edit
    I've been burned a few times whenever I've acted strictly out of self interest, so I probably would be 'foolish' enough to turn the wallet over to the police. I say 'foolish' because I've been called a fool on more than one occasion for doing the right thing... I've also been called stupid, and an idiot, and other names like that. Some people just ...[text shortened]... s... because it doesn't cost anything, and I don't have to rob anyone of anything... that's why.
    So, would you hand the wallet into the police, or not?

Do you think a religious person would be more likely to, or not?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 10:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    In the late 70s there somewhere, I found £100 ~ 5 x £20 ~ in the gutter on my town's high street. It was a considerable amount of money in those days. I took it to the police station which happened to be just across the road. They noted down exactly where I'd found it and took my name and address. Three months later they wrote to me telling me to come in and pick up the £100 as no one had claimed it. And that is what I did.
    If the police station hadn't been 'just across the road' and you'd had longer to think about it (and for temptation to sink in) do you think you would still have handed it in?

I think most people would keep any loose cash they found, if there was no sign of the person who dropped it. (Especially if it was less than 100 pounds). A bag full of money however would muddy the waters.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 11:101 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    If the police station hadn't been 'just across the road' and you'd had longer to think about it (and for temptation to sink in) do you think you would still have handed it in?

Yes.

I think most people would keep any loose cash they found, if there was no sign of the person who dropped it. (Especially if it was less than 100 pounds).

Well then, I have succeeded in setting myself (or at least the 1978 version of me) apart from these "most people" you talk of.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 11:20
    Originally posted by FMF

I think most people would keep any loose cash they found, if there was no sign of the person who dropped it. (Especially if it was less than 100 pounds).

Well then, I have succeeded in setting myself (or at least the 1978 version of me) apart from these "most people" you talk of.[/b]
    What motivated you, do you think, to hand the money in?

Upbringing?
    Faith?
    Conscience?
    Empathy?
    Trust in the police?
    Pride?
    Fear?
    Transubstantiation?
    Bagpuss?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 11:27
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    What motivated you, do you think, to hand the money in?

Upbringing?
    Faith?
    Conscience?
    Empathy?
    Trust in the police?
    Pride?
    Fear?
    Transubstantiation?
    Bagpuss?
    Exactly.

But not Bagpus so much as Chigley and Camberwick Green (as opposed to the urban moral vacuum that Trumpton represented).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree