1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 22:20
    If you take the time and read the list of wars and famine in history on the wikipedia site. You will see that there has been more wars fought in modern days then in the past. Same goes for famines list.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 23:272 edits
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    If you take the time and read the list of wars and famine in history on the wikipedia site. You will see that there has been more wars fought in modern days then in the past. Same goes for famines list.
    Have you considered the incredible increase in population?
    7 billion now and how many when we had world wars and such- say 100 years ago? What was the population then?

I'm not sure on this, but if you bring it down to a "per capita" figure then I think you would find there is less wars and famines now than before.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 23:45
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Have you considered the incredible increase in population?
    7 billion now and how many when we had world wars and such- say 100 years ago? What was the population then?

I'm not sure on this, but if you bring it down to a "per capita" figure then I think you would find there is less wars and famines now than before.
    Why would population be the facter?

It shows it from fact.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 23:57
    Why would population be the facter?

It shows it from fact.
    It depends what question you are asking.

Do you care about the absolute number of people in poverty, or killed in wars or whatever...

Or the proportion of the total number of people in poverty, or killed in wars ect...

If your population size quadruples, and the number of murders doubles, then the chances
    of you being murdered just halved.

Most of the time what is important to people is not the absolute number of bad things happening,
    or people effected, it's the proportion of people effected per population.

If you go back, really not that far, in history, then you will find that the proportion of people
    who were directly effected by war (either by serving in the military, or by living in a war zone) was
    vastly higher than the proportion it is today.

Peoples chances of being killed in a war today are vastly lower than they were say 200 years ago.

However the total population today is vastly higher than it was 200 years ago.

So what question is relevant... total number of wars, or people killed in them, or proportion of the population
    effected.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:02
    Originally posted by googlefudge

Do you care about the absolute number of people in poverty, or killed in wars or whatever...

Or the proportion of the total number of people in poverty, or killed in wars ect...

If your population size quadruples, and the number of murders doubles, then the chances
    of you being murdered just halved. ...[text shortened]... ... total number of wars, or people killed in them, or proportion of the population
    effected.
    It is in general.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:05

Peoples chances of being killed in a war today are vastly lower than they were say 200 years ago.

However the total population today is vastly higher than it was 200 years ago.

So what question is relevant... total number of wars, or people killed in them, or proportion of the population
    effected.
    Nukes can do a lot of damage.

9/11 killed about 3,000 in one day.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:17
    It is in general.
    That isn't an answer to anything in my post.

You need to use more words to explain what you mean because that makes no sense as an answer.
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:18
    That isn't an answer to anything in my post.

You need to use more words to explain what you mean because that makes no sense as an answer.
    I was just saying that in history there is more wars and famine in thois modern times then any other.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:19

of you being murdered just halved. ...[text shortened]... ... total number of wars, or people killed in them, or proportion of the population
    effected.
    Thank you googlefudge. I'll go pretty much with your response at this stage. Ta 🙂
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:23
    Nukes can do a lot of damage.

9/11 killed about 3,000 in one day.
    and?

The Japan tsunami killed twenty odd thousand and the boxing day tsunami killed hundreds of thousands.

The American war's in Iraq and Afghanistan killed tens if not hundreds of thousands.

9/11 probably doesn't factor in the top 50 most fatal events of the last decade.

And more people die annually in car crashes in the USA than died on 9/11, in fact you have a 9/11's worth
    of fatalities about once every month on average.

None of which has any baring on my arguments.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:26
    I was just saying that in history there is more wars and famine in thois modern times then any other.
    And again, which is more important, the total number of famines, or the
    proportion of societies experiencing famine?
    the total number of people starving, or the proportion of people starving?

What is important will depend on the point you are trying to make, or question
    you want to answer.

So what is the point you are trying to make, or question you are trying to answer?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:311 edit
    You could make a case for it.

But it would prolly lose in the end.

It would prolly take years in "heavens court". Perhaps God might make one of the lesser saints and give him an opportunity to be judge!! As for the jury ....I might need help with that. Any of the remaining holy dudes would do a fine job at being lawyers.

Really. I'm absolutely amazed as to how well people have stood firm, by their actions , not words, to things like "common sense", and "common good" ,etc.
    I remember the threat of nuclear war that loomed on our horizon (in the media) in the 80'S and a former movie star could've made a mistake and pretty much cease all our exitences here ,now(on rhp), more or less!! .
    But I feel that it is decidedly a more positive outlook that the 'youth of our tomorrow' take with them. A 5yr old can be shown on a phone or pc exactly where they live in the world, for example. This immediatley puts a whole different kind of learning into a childs mind. He/She realizes that that picture they saw is a direct representation (generally) of where they stand in the universe a hell of a lot better than in any time in the past.

I believe this is a point worth noting.

Sometimes it is those that "do nothing" that do the best for everyone.
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:202 edits
    It is in general.
    if the rate of war/famine is increasing in direct proportion to population growth, then there is nothing spectacular happening.

if the rate of war/famine is decreasing in proportion to population growth, it is an indication of increasing civilization stability.

if the rate of war/famine is increasing above proportion to population growth, it is an indication of decreasing civilization stability.

since the rate of war/famine is decreasing in proportion to population growth, we are currently trending towards increasing civilization stability.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:291 edit
    Yes you are correct. Many here will say it's only because there are more people now or we now keep better records or reporting is better. Well that is true and that is confirmed by the Bible where it says "you will hear of wars and reports of wars" and the other things it mentions such as earthquakes.
    So no matter what the world is like today compared to a couple hundred years ago, by any scale it is worse as we can all see on all levels.
    And it's not that wars by themselves are proof of the signs that Jesus spoke of but it's ALL the signs Jesus spoke of that are now greater and worse then ever before.
    The bible clearly says things would go "from bad to worse".
    No one that doubts these scriptures can honestly say things are the same now as they were a couple hundred or more years ago but I know they will as the Bible even fortold that about those people..
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:341 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Yes you are correct. Many here will say it's only because there are more people now or we now keep better records or reporting is better. Well that is true and that is confirmed by the Bible where it says "you will hear of wars and reports of wars" and the other things it mentions such as earthquakes.
    So no matter what the world is like today compared e of but it's ALL the signs Jesus spoke of that are now greater and worse then ever before.
    And people have been saying that for centuries.

And none of it matters because you have no foundation for believing that god exists, and
    thus your hugely open to interpretation 'prophecies' mean absolutely nothing.

EDIT: things are much better now than they were then... so things have gone from bad to better.

Prophecy disproved... religion busted... time for lunch...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree