For man of course.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 12:251 edit
    Originally posted by loudog
    For man of course.
    According to the story, Jesus is alive, so I doubt you could call His crucifixion a suicide, since He did not try to kill himself and even brought Himself back from the grave. It is generally considered a sacrifice like the Passover sacrifice of the Lamb to save the first born sons of the Israelites from the death angel before coming out of slavery in Eqypt.

However, the Jews and the Romans of that time considered it to be an execution penalty for some political or religious criminal offense.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 12:42
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    According to the story, Jesus is alive, so I doubt you could call His crucifixion a suicide, since He did not try to kill himself and even brought Himself back from the grave. It is generally considered a sacrifice ....
    If it can't be considered a suicide on account of him being "alive" then surely it being considered a sacrifice can be ruled out for the same reason?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 12:54
    Originally posted by loudog
    For man of course.
    Suicide by crucifixion is a tricky affair, but I suppose it could be done.

Do you know of any others?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 13:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    If it can't be considered a suicide on account of him being "alive" then surely it being considered a sacrifice can be ruled out for the same reason?
    Not attempting to kill Himself is the main reason it would not be considered a suicide, even if He were dead, However, being alvie is just an added factor that helps.

There is such a thing as a living sacrifice according to the Holy Bible. So being alive would not rule out the possibility of a sacrifice. 😏
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 19:402 edits

There is such a thing as a living sacrifice according to the Holy Bible. So being alive would not rule out the possibility of a sacrifice. 😏
    Romans 12:1 urges the believers to present themselves as "a living sacrifice."

"I exhort you therefore, brothers, through the compassions of God to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable service." (Romans 12:1)
  7. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    03 May '15 04:36
    The Crucifixion was actually a mortification. Turning the other cheek and willingly taking every injury. The world cannot destroy the Spirit.
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    03 May '15 17:00
    Originally posted by Of Ants and Imps
    The Crucifixion was actually a mortification. Turning the other cheek and willingly taking every injury. The world cannot destroy the Spirit.
    Or self-harming, since he only did it to get attention.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 May '15 17:56
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Allowing himself to be crucified and then escaping from His tomb certainly got a lot of attention in those days. Today, the negative image on His burial cloth and the blood stains on His face cloth are still getting a lot of attention.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 May '15 18:09
    This sounds like a rather hateful position to take.
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 May '15 08:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This sounds like a rather hateful position to take.
    More hateful than supporting the death penalty?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 May '15 14:43
    More hateful than supporting the death penalty?
    How does supporting the death penalty compare to denigrating the only man ever to have no sin?
  13. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 May '15 15:271 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    How does supporting the death penalty compare to denigrating the only man ever to have no sin?
    Oh sorry, I thought you were offended by the implication that self-harming was motivated by attention-seeking. I admit I felt a little bad about that.

As for 'denigrating the only man ever to have no sin', that bothers me not a jot. And I would say that not only do I think that supporting the death penalty is much much MUCH worse, but also I'm pretty sure Jesus would agree with me.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 May '15 18:54
    Oh sorry, I thought you were offended by the implication that self-harming was motivated by attention-seeking. I admit I felt a little bad about that.

As for 'denigrating the only man ever to have no sin', that bothers me not a jot. And I would say that not only do I think that supporting the death penalty is much much MUCH worse, but also I'm pretty sure Jesus would agree with me.
    You need to read the New Testament and try to understand what you are reading if you really think Jesus would agree with you. 😏
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 May '15 19:151 edit
    You need to read the New Testament and try to understand what you are reading if you really think Jesus would agree with you. 😏
    Seriously? Didn't Jesus directly intervene to prevent a woman being stoned to death?!?

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

Isn't that telling us something pretty direct about Jesus and the death penalty, and wouldn't a modern interpretation be "let him who is without sin administer the lethal injection."

If Jesus was the only perfect man and we are all sinners, then who are we to sentence each other to death?

Get a grip.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree