1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 May '15 20:124 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Seriously? Didn't Jesus directly intervene to prevent a woman being stoned to death?!?

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

Isn't that telling us something pretty direct about Jesus and the death penalty, and wouldn't a modern interpretation be "let him who is without sin administer the lethal injection."

If Jesus was the onl ...[text shortened]... fect man and we are all sinners, then who are we to sentence each other to death?

Get a grip.
    No Jesus did not directly intervene because the woman was brought to him to see what he would say in order that they might condemn him.

Woman Caught in Adultery John 8:1-11

YouTube

Jesus did not come to change the law of the death penalty but to fulfill the law in justice and love and mercy. Those accusers were only considering half of the law because they did not also bring in the man that was caught in adulty and accuse him too as the law required.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 May '15 12:58
    I have another question: Is it a sacrifice if you know in advance that you'll get it all back double three days later?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 May '15 18:51
    Originally posted by moonbus
    I have another question: Is it a sacrifice if you know in advance that you'll get it all back double three days later?
    Wound marks were maintained on the risen body, in the case of Christ. He still had to suffer the ridicule and torture, so that was not taken back now was it?
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 May '15 21:04
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Wound marks were maintained on the risen body, in the case of Christ. He still had to suffer the ridicule and torture, so that was not taken back now was it?
    A ghoulish resurrection.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 May '15 11:15
    A ghoulish resurrection.
    Only because it was a gruesome death.

And that is what makes it a sacrifice. The pain he bore would make some lesser men rebuke and reject God. Heck, some even lesser men rebuke and reject God even without any pain.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 May '15 11:301 edit
    All Christians know that upon death they are going to a better place. That doesn't make the transition any less scary. As humans, we are naturally afraid of anything we know is permanent, that we know there is no coming back from. The wisest ones are prepared for the crossing. While we may rationalize that indescribable reward is worth indescribable pain, that doesn't make the pain any less scary. Even on the eve of his arrest, Jesus asked his Father if it was possible to "let this cup pass" from him. Even though he was fully divine and had the knowledge of what it meant, he was still fully human and was afraid of the pain.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree