1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Nov '08 21:52
    Interesting what you stumble across:

"The first historical attempt at blood transfusion was described by the 15th-century chronicler Stefano Infessura. Infessura relates that, in 1492, as Pope Innocent VIII sank into a coma, the blood of three boys was infused into the dying pontiff (through the mouth, as the concept of circulation and methods for intravenous access did not exist at that time) at the suggestion of a physician. The boys were ten years old, and had been promised a ducat each. However, not only did the pope die, but so did the three children."
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Nov '08 22:13
    It might be true or not. Do you know who is Stefano Infessura?
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '08 22:28
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate

"The first historical attempt at blood transfusion was described by the 15th-century chronicler Stefano Infessura. Infessura relates that, in 1492, as Pope Innocent VIII sank into a coma, the blood of three boys was infused into the dying pontiff (through the mouth, as the concept of circulation and methods for ...[text shortened]... een promised a ducat each. However, not only did the pope die, but so did the three children."
    3 boys seems so not worth mentioning compared to the carnage of the crusades and the inquisition 😀
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 00:312 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    3 boys seems so not worth mentioning compared to the carnage of the crusades and the inquisition 😀
    ======================================
    3 boys seems so not worth mentioning compared to the carnage of the crusades and the inquisition =========================================

Does the fact that you can point this out, even with a grin, make you somehow more righteous than they ?

Does your ability to enumerate the wrong deeds of others constitute you a morally more perfect person than those whom you condemn ?
  5. Playing with matches
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 02:01
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Surely nobody would make up such a story?
  6. Playing with matches
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 02:01
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]======================================
    3 boys seems so not worth mentioning compared to the carnage of the crusades and the inquisition =========================================

Does the fact that you can point this out, even with a grin, make you somehow more righteous than they ?

Does your ability to enumerate the wrong deeds of others constitute you a morally more perfect person than those whom you condemn ?[/b]
    Yes.
    Mmm, Yes.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 23:11
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]======================================

Does your ability to enumerate the wrong deeds of others constitute you a morally more perfect person than those whom you condemn ?[/b]
    wrongs must be pointed out. blame must be assigned, lessons must be learned.
  8. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:51
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    wrongs must be pointed out. blame must be assigned, lessons must be learned.
    And two Very important lessons we're learned, albeit a tad late.

1. Drinking the blood of children doesn't help when dying,

2. children don't survive too well without said blood.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 16:59
    He is googlable. Italian historian and lawyer.
    If he said so, then it's probably true.
    It seems true too, there were many experiment about transfusions at the time. An experiment to heal the pope seems probable, to sacrifice three poys seems also probable for that cause.
    I think we can rely on this story.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 17:023 edits
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate

"The first historical attempt at blood transfusion was described by the 15th-century chronicler Stefano Infessura. Infessura relates that, in 1492, as Pope Innocent VIII sank into a coma, the blood of three boys was infused into the dying pontiff (through the mouth, as the concept of circulation and methods for ...[text shortened]... een promised a ducat each. However, not only did the pope die, but so did the three children."
    He should have used unborn children. After all, they are but parasites in our eyes.

Actually, this story reminds me of a South Park episode I saw a long time ago. In it was Christopher Reeve who was crippled and sought unborn children to regain his ability to walk. He would seek out and grab unborn children and then suck their brains out as he slowly but surely would begin to regain the ability to walk. Unfortunately, however, he then began to digress back to his crippled state and needed a continuous supply of unborn children to sustain his ability to walk.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 17:15
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    It seems true too, there were many experiment about transfusions at the time. An experiment to heal the pope seems probable, to sacrifice three poys seems also probable for that cause.
    Sacrifice? The given story said nothing about them being sacrificed.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 17:19
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Sacrifice? The given story said nothing about them being sacrificed.
    Emptying three boys of their blood in order to save the pope's life seems like sacrificing to me.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 17:21
    Again Fabian shows his ignorance. Find out about his political views.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 17:382 edits
    Again Fabian shows his ignorance. Find out about his political views.
    I don't have any political view on this, only interested in the history of medical science.
    And I'm not calling you a womanhater now, Palynka my friend, do you remember? Lower your guard.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 18:004 edits
    I don't have any political view on this, only interested in the history of medical science.
    And I'm not calling you a womanhater now, Palynka my friend, do you remember? Lower your guard.
    I said HIS political views.

Edit - And I don't care if you call ME a woman-hater or any other insult. I care when you insult whole cultures. Since you haven't retracted any of your statements, I'll keep having for you the contempt I save for xenophobes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree