1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 10:582 edits
    I'm having conversation with someone elsewhere which prompted me to open this thread.

I believe there is a god, but I don't know there is a god. I believe this god to be the god of the bible expressed through Jesus Christ, but I don't know for sure. I have circumstantial self evidence supporting these positions but good counter rational supporting alternative solutions. I know what I don't believe/have rejected as being the truth, but remain a mixture of the doubtful, the inquisitive and am trying to be openminded regarding my own beliefs. An area of my life exerts significant peer pressure to uphold my beliefs, I am uncomfortable with that pressure but am disinclined to move my position either way as it is my position and I'm entitled to it. I have had what I believe to be affirmations that what I believe in it's core aspect, not dogma, is correct.

Am I really a "Christian"?

What are you?

Googlefudge has some interesting segmentations in his profile.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 11:09
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm having conversation with someone elsewhere which prompted me to open this thread.

I believe there is a god, but I don't know there is a god. I believe this god to be the god of the bible expressed through Jesus Christ, but I don't know for sure. I have circumstantial self evidence supporting these positions but good counter rational supporting alt ...[text shortened]... "Christian"?

What are you?

I feel like Peter did when Jesus told his followers that they must drink his blood and eat his flesh to have enternal life. Most of his followers just walked away at this point, but looking at Peter Jesus asked if he will walk away as well. Peter just shook his head and asked where else is he to go because Jesus had the words of eternal life.

Like Peter, we have out doubts and may at times deny we know who Jesus is when the cock crows, but deep down we know we can't live without him and we must follow him even if we are denying we know him while we are doing it.

Jesus is the game changer. All religions, except for maybe Judaism for obvious reasons, points to him as being from God. And as Jesus asked his disciples who he was he is also asking us. Who do you say I am? Only those to whom the Father reveals who is will come to the truth.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 11:211 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I feel like Peter did when Jesus told his followers that they must drink his blood and eat his flesh to have enternal life. Most of his followers just walked away at this point, but looking at Peter Jesus asked if he will walk away as well. Peter just shook his head and asked where else is he to go because Jesus had the words of eternal life.

Like Peter, ...[text shortened]... us. Who do you say I am? Only those to whom the Father reveals who is will come to the truth.
    Yes I relate to the Peter situation. I find it difficult to explain how I feel; religion repels me, Christ attracts me. The experiences I had some years back could be explained as a delicious meal and now no other food will do. The question in my mind in this silly analogy is: was that meal real food or was it genetically modified/artificial? Maybe Peter felt the same - I.e. what else is there?
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 12:21

I believe there is a god, but I don't know there is a god. I believe this god to be the god of the bible expressed through Jesus Christ, but I don't know for sure. I have circumstantial self evidence supporting these positions but good counter rational supporting alt ...[text shortened]... "Christian"?

What are you?

An area of my life exerts significant peer pressure to uphold my beliefs, I am uncomfortable with that pressure but am disinclined to move my position either way as it is my position and I'm entitled to it.

I find this a very interesting sentence and am interested to know more about it.

Can you - do you want to - explain a bit more what you meant here?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 14:085 edits
    Yes I relate to the Peter situation. I find it difficult to explain how I feel; religion repels me, Christ attracts me. The experiences I had some years back could be explained as a delicious meal and now no other food will do. The question in my mind in this silly analogy is: was that meal real food or was it genetically modified/artificial? Maybe Peter felt the same - I.e. what else is there?
    People use religion today just like they did in the days of Jesus. For many, it is simply a tool to advance their own agendas.

It is then understandable why the message Jesus gave them was so offensive to many who were religious at that time. It was a message of seeking the Father's will instead of their own which opens them up to hardship. As Jesus said, those not willing to take up their cross and follow me are not worthy of me. All Jesus asks is that we drag the cross of the hill for him and when we reach the top he takes over the rest.

As for the church, remember that Jesus was the one who established "the church". Even though there are those who are religious and self serving, there will always be those like Nicodemus, and even Paul, who are not. "The church" serves a purpose for God. If not, Jesus would never have mentioned it.

It is interesting to note that even though Jesus clearly saw that the powers that be in Judaism had been corrupted, he still saw fit to drive out the money changers in the Temple. He worshiped in the Temple and called it the house of God. Clearly, the fault was not organized religion, rather, it were those within it that corrupted it.

Just like the Temple in the days of Jesus, Christians should not ignore the church either. Perhaps they should pick up a whip and drive out the money changers.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 15:06
    Have faith and have a joyful heart.

All the rest is easy then.

😀
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 16:151 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    [b]An area of my life exerts significant peer pressure to uphold my beliefs, I am uncomfortable with that pressure but am disinclined to move my position either way as it is my position and I'm entitled to it.

I find this a very interesting sentence and am interested to know more about it.

Can you - do you want to - explain a bit more what you meant here?[/b]
    Why do you want to know?
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 16:36
    What do you mean by "an area of my life", how and why is peer pressure being applied, how much of that peer pressure is making you stick to your beliefs, what would the simple facts "it is my position" and "I'm entitled to it" make you disinclined to move your position (I don't understand why those facts should make you stick to your beliefs - except maybe out of stubbornness)?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 16:43
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    What do you mean by "an area of my life", how and why is peer pressure being applied, how much of that peer pressure is making you stick to your beliefs, what would the simple facts "it is my position" and "I'm entitled to it" make you disinclined to move your position (I don't understand why those facts should make you stick to your beliefs - except maybe out of stubbornness)?
    Area = some family. "I don't know" is the answer to the rest of your questions.

Yes I'm stubborn but independently so, not as in 'committed to a cause a don't believe in'.

What are you thoughts and what are you?
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 18:15

What are you?

I think you are a Christian. I don't think you have to be 100% sure to be considered a Christian. We can't be 100% sure of most things.

I am a former Christian who still respects certain tidbits in the Bible and the good works they have inspired (I know/knew many Christians that helped the poor, cared for the sick and the mentally challenged, etc.) but thinks overall that Judeo-Christian theism is the result of Man creating God in his own image - a crude attempt to understand our role on the earth and our purpose. The result of our recent awareness of the larger world after evolving from beings who thought mainly about survival.

Personally, I feel more in touch with reality now that I have discarded theism. Like I have discarded the intellectual crutches of my ancestors and accepted the universe on its own terms. Also, I feel freed from dogmatism. It is a great relief that nothing is 'holy' - I can doubt anyone. Any statement I want. Openly.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 19:08
    Interesting... Why would someone thumbs-down my OP?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 19:291 edit

What are you?

Am I really a "Christian"? [If you believe in Christ, yes.]

What are you? [A Believer in Christ, grateful for each new day in Him.]

Here are a few relevant passages of scripture from the "RHP/Spirituality Forum Reference Section" thread (Forum Page 5):

"For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:26) When you believe in Christ, you enter into a new, personal relationship with God; a relationship beginning in time and a member of His family forever.

"And I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand." (John 10:28) Though all believers will fail, some more than others, God never abandons any of his children. Their position in Him is secure. The fact of His timely warning and intensive discipline attests to His love for His children. It's a permanent union.

"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities nor things present, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing shall be able to separate us from the unfailing love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39) Relationship with God is permanent. Once you've believed in Christ, you cannot lose your salvation. Your ultimate security is God's unconditional promise of eternal life. God's perfection is your guarantee.

Note: Anyone who presumes to question your reasons or motives for this thread is way out of line. When someone such as yourself has the testicular fortitude to earnestly and subtly bare your soul, it's inappropriate for anyone to gawk or probe!
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 19:31
    Thumbs Up is mine.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 20:571 edit
    Maybe one of those peer pressure people has an RHP account unknowing to you and they reading your stuff 🙂
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 12:45
    I believe there is a god, but I don't know there is a god. I believe this god to be the god of the bible expressed through Jesus Christ, but I don't know for sure. I have circumstantial self evidence supporting these positions but good counter rational supporting alternative solutions.
    I really respect this point of view.
    Kudos!!

🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree