"What are the seven deadly sins?"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 Sep 13
2 edits

Question: "What are the seven deadly sins?"

Answer:
"The seven deadly sins are a list originally used in early Christian teachings to educate and instruct followers concerning fallen man's tendency to sin. The misconception about the list of seven “deadly” sins is that they are sins that God will not forgive. The Bible is clear that the only sin God will not forgive is that of continued unbelief, because it rejects the only means to obtain forgiveness—Jesus Christ and His substitutionary death on the cross.

Is the idea of seven deadly sins biblical? Yes and no. Proverbs 6:16-19 declares, “There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: 1) haughty eyes, 2) a lying tongue, 3) hands that shed innocent blood, 4) a heart that devises wicked schemes, 5) feet that are quick to rush into evil, 6) a false witness who pours out lies, and 7) a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.” However, this list is not what most people understand as the seven deadly sins.

According to Pope Gregory the Great in the 6th century, the seven deadly sins are as follows: pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, greed, and sloth. Although these are undeniably sins, they are never given the description of "the seven deadly sins" in the Bible. The traditional list of seven deadly sins can function as a good way to categorize the many different sins that exist. Nearly every kind of sin could be placed under one of the seven categories. More importantly, we must realize these seven sins are no more “deadly” than any other sin. All sin results in death (Romans 6:23). Praise be to God, that through Jesus Christ, all of our sins, including the “seven deadly sins,” can be forgiven (Matthew 26:28; Acts 10:43; Ephesians 1:7)."

Recommended Resource: Overcoming Sin and Temptation by John Owen. While he is not the author of every article on GotQuestions.org, for citation purposes, you may reference our CEO, S. Michael Houdmann.

http://www.gotquestions.org/seven-deadly-sins.html#ixzz2ff3YYawY

Note: Of the biblically referenced seven deadly sins, six are covert sins and one an overt sin ["3) hands that shed innocent blood"] or murder. Here's the contemporary interpretation from Urban Slang: "Seven things that are considered the worst things to do:

1. Greed - Wanting too much of something.
2. Gluttony - Similar to greed, but gluttony is the action of taking
too much of something in.
3. Lust - The need to fulfill unspiritual desires
(not just sexual desires, but this is usually what lust is associated with.)
4. Envy - Jealousy; wanting to have what someone has.
5. Sloth - Being too slow or lazy at doing something.
6. Wrath - Vindictive anger; angry revenge.
7. Pride - Being too self-satisfied
(some other people may say that the seventh deadly sin
is anger but this is not true; its pride." Comments?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
22 Sep 13
1 edit

I'll plead guilty to 3, 5 and 7.
But I'm not sure I agree 3 is a sin?

Lust or passion is what drives us on; it makes us train harder, work longer, practise more, learn. What is wrong with lust?
(What is an unspiritual desire?)

Moves
22 Sep 13
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59

Lust or passion is what drives us on; it makes us train harder, work longer, practise more, learn. What is wrong with lust?
I'd think that passionately pursuing excellence in singing with the aim of glorifying God or God's creation, and pursuing it with the purpose of besting others, would distinguish spiritual and unspiritual desires. (Having recently seeing some of the former.)

Just analyzing. Could be wrong.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
23 Sep 13

Originally posted by JS357
I'd think that passionately pursuing excellence in singing with the aim of glorifying God or God's creation, and pursuing it with the purpose of besting others, would distinguish spiritual and unspiritual desires. (Having recently seeing some of the former.)

So apart from having a passion for singing hymns all other passions would
be unspiritual? Thanks for the definition ... but its a bit narrow even by this
forum's standards!!

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Sep 13
3 edits

"3. Lust - The need to fulfill unspiritual desires." / Materialism Lust (obsessing over the self aggrandizement of accumulating possessions); Sexual Lust (mental adultery); Approbation Lust (excessive desire for constant approval which compromises sound decisions and destroys objectivity); Power Lust (the inordinate desire to control and manipulate other people); Blood Lust (mental murder to destroy and/or dominate the volition of other people). Healthy ambition and clarity of vision; self discipline and work ethic; grit and drive are desirable but easily neutralized by peer pressure and lustful temptations... Also, Chemical Lust (habitual fixation on temporary stimulation from harmful substances as a substitute for inner happiness).

Moves
23 Sep 13

So apart from having a passion for singing hymns all other passions would
be unspiritual? Thanks for the definition ... but its a bit narrow even by this
forum's standards!!
No I am not limiting it to singing, it is an example.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
23 Sep 13

Originally posted by JS357

That's why churches sing in choirs. Not so anyone can best anyone else, but so they can harmonize with everyone else. It's a cooperative effort. Soloists are heretics and sinmongers.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Sep 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
\"3. Lust - The need to fulfill unspiritual desires.\" / Materialism Lust (obsessing over the self aggrandizement of accumulating possessions); Sexual Lust (mental adultery); Approbation Lust (excessive desire for constant approval which compromises sound decisions and destroys objectivity); Power Lust (the inordinate desire to control and manipulate othe ...[text shortened]... fixation on temporary stimulation from harmful substances as a substitute for inner happiness).
There's also Ego Lust: Selfish Preoccupation with and Hypersensitivity to your own wishes, desires and needs; along with insensitivity to the wishes, desires and needs of others in your immediate periphery face to face and online.