1. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 13:26
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    OT monster God is a typical god of ancient peoples; petty, unjust, xenophobic - reflecting a extravagant version of the people who created him like Zeus.
    Spoken on the great authority of our Lord Emperor no1, who has authority to judge all things, including God.
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 13:46
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Wasn't really relevant, jerkwad.

The Medianites are always relevant in your book, Your Majesty.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 13:52
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Spoken on the great authority of our Lord Emperor no1, who has authority to judge all things, including God.
    You judge God too.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 13:53
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Do you smoke pot, genius ?
    Jesus did.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,869273,00.html

Too bad he's just a fairy tale.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 14:11
    Originally posted by David C
    Jesus did.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,869273,00.html

Too bad he's just a fairy tale.
    Study some history.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 14:13
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You judge God too.
    So is no. 1's judgement the most accurate and credible?
  7. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 14:31
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Study some history.
    I have. What are you proposing I will find?
  8. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 14:55
    What a horrible thread. Truly displaying how humanity is seperate from God. Where did you people learn that you can win an argument through vague insults, cute one liners, and sarcasm? And especially for you Christians: is this how you want your faith displayed? Try turning the other cheek! You are all children with vendettas, and your only goal seems to be to destroy any respectability left in these forums and yourselves.

... --- ...
  9. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 15:01
    So is no. 1's judgement the most accurate and credible?
    No one truly can judge God; all we display are loud mouthed opinions, and they are all worth exactly the same.

... --- ...
  10. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 15:18
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    What a horrible thread. Truly displaying how humanity is seperate from God. Where did you people learn that you can win an argument through vague insults, cute one liners, and sarcasm? And especially for you Christians: is this how you want your faith displayed? Try turning the other cheek! You are all children with vendettas, and your only goal seems to be to destroy any respectability left in these forums and yourselves.

... --- ...
    Oh yeah ?!? Says you! 😛😛
  11. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 15:44
    As far as I know human jealousy is a sin.

Do you think Paul was sinning when he wrote this:

2 Corinthians 11:2 - For I am jealous over you with [b]godly jealousy
    : for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

[/b]
    You want me to be presented to jesus as a chaste virgin , so he can be my husband ? I thought homosexuality was a sin ? Now you're telling me JC's going to have prision sex with me ? You're sick !
  12. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 15:46
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul

... --- ...
    Wow. Is it just me, or did it suddenly get a bit more pious in this thread?

Forgive me if I'll ask you to spare me the invective. Respectability is for think-tanks and university garden-klatsches, not de facto public message boards. Loosen up, it's all just verbal sparring. Maybe some chronic would be the tonic?
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 16:04
    I find the OP to be a particularly interesting question given that God supposedly designed and created jealousy. Now a human feels jealousy as a spontaneous, involuntary response to stimuli, however for God jealousy cannot be spontaneous (by omniscience he knows eons ahead of time that such a feeling will occur) or involuntary (by sovereignty). This means that he must be willingly choosing to be jealous much in the same way that we might choose to wear a particular hat or shoes.

I know I keep going back to this sort of point about God being the author of everything, but I think it is fundamental to understand. If God is the creator of all, then any justification that xtians use in any circumstance for their deity is, by their own doctrine, a rule or a condition authored by God. Therefore it cannot be used to justify any action or sentiment of God because the very condition or rule that justifies God's choice was itself a choice of God. It's an idea I like to call "God in a box" because so many xtians commit this fallacy. So often they declare god to be the creator of the world including all emotions and ideas and everything else, and then they use that creation to constrain god's design of the creation in the first place. Darfius was especially prone to this sort of error.

Now let us consider dj2's "god jealousy" (I suppose this is an element of the same set as dj2's other brilliant insight, "god time."😉. Clearly, he has failed to establish what such a thing is, that it exists, or even why it should be properly called "jealousy" in any sense, however, if we humor him, then we have to ask, "Did God create this 'god jealousy'?" If so, than the "God in a box" argument above still applies. If not, then where did this larger god reality come from? Did it come from nothing? There must be a designer of this spiritual world, a bigger creator that created 'god time' and 'god jealousy.' So if we accept dj2's claims, then once again I offer the following 'truth':

The natural is evidence of the supernatural. The supernatural is evidence of the super-spiritual. Praise Muffy!
  14. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 16:10
    Originally posted by David C
    Wow. Is it just me, or did it suddenly get a bit more pious in this thread?

Forgive me if I'll ask you to spare me the invective. Respectability is for think-tanks and university garden-klatsches, not de facto public message boards. Loosen up, it's all just verbal sparring. Maybe some chronic would be the tonic?
    Please don't call me pious, if you don't mind. And as to the rest of your post, quite a dicotomy you have going there. Repectability only in think tanks and universities? Respect belongs everywhere. As this thread proves, if there is a lack of respect, there is no thinking, only mudslinging. Perhaps we can petition Russ to make a seperate mudslinging forum?

... --- ...
  15. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 16:171 edit
    Originally posted by buckky
    I've read in the Bible that God is a jealous God. That seems strange to me. It seems somewhat petty or small. My view of God would be one that was beyond that kind of hopelessly human stuff. What in all of creation could God be jealous of ?
    Exo 34:12-16 ESV Take care, lest you make a covenant
    with the inhabitants of the land to which you go, lest it
    become a snare in your midst. (13) You shall tear down
    their altars and break their pillars and cut down their
    Asherim (14) (for you shall worship no other god,
    for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God),
    (15) lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the
    land, and when they whore after their gods and sacrifice to
    their gods and you are invited, you eat of his sacrifice,
    (16) and you take of their daughters for your sons,
    and their daughters whore after their gods and make
    your sons whore after their gods.

God demands total devotion to him alone as the object of worship. And it is part of the 1st commandment:
    Deu 5:8-10 ESV "'You shall not make for yourself a carved
    image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven
    above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in
    the water under the earth. (9) You shall not bow down
    to them or serve them;
    for I the LORD your God am a jealous God,
    visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children
    to the third and fourth generation
    of those who hate me, (10) but showing
    steadfast love to thousands of those who
    love me and keep my commandments.

God's jealousy is nothing more than God's requirement that you love God with all your heart and mind:
    Mat 22:36-37 ESV "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" (37) And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

It is not the petty human emotion based on insecurity - God is not insecure. You are using a modern notion of jealous that is based on "low self-esteem" and insecurity. Clearly this is not the same meaning as used in the OT.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree