1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    18 Jun '05 23:01
    I've read in the Bible that God is a jealous God. That seems strange to me. It seems somewhat petty or small. My view of God would be one that was beyond that kind of hopelessly human stuff. What in all of creation could God be jealous of ?
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 09:56
    Originally posted by buckky
    I've read in the Bible that God is a jealous God. That seems strange to me. It seems somewhat petty or small. My view of God would be one that was beyond that kind of hopelessly human stuff. What in all of creation could God be jealous of ?

I advise you to reread the context in which it is written. I'm sure you'll find the answer. (If you're really interested of course.)
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 12:29
    I'm sure the answer is in my pants.
  4. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 16:04
    If you f***ed another god , or left him for a younger more attractive god , told him "we need to see other gods" , god lipstick not of his color on your collar , ...there are a lot of things really .
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 18:42
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

I advise you to reread the context in which it is written. I'm sure you'll find the answer. (If you're really interested of course.)
    Context, of course. Genesis 20:5: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them, for I Jehovah thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate me,

6 and showing lovingkindness unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.

Deuteronmy 4:24: For Jehovah thy God is a devouring fire, a jealous God.

OT monster God is a typical god of ancient peoples; petty, unjust, xenophobic - reflecting a extravagant version of the people who created him like Zeus. Also ancient peoples, including the Israelites, generally did not believe in the exclusitivity of their gods, the OT is chock full of references to other gods. Thus, God's jealousy in the OT is a perfectly natural one for such a created god, although he's a particulary nasty version (punishing grandkids+ of people who won't worship him seems a bit excessive even for a primitive god).

6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 21:091 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Context, of course. Genesis 20:5: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them, for I Jehovah thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, upon the third and upon the fourth g ...[text shortened]... comm rship him seems a bit excessive even for a primitive god).

You forgot to mention the Medianites, genius.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 21:54

You forgot to mention the Medianites, genius.
    Wasn't really relevant, jerkwad.
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 22:091 edit
    Wasn't really relevant, jerkwad.

Shouldn't you be spending more time with your grandson instead of spouting your nonsense and your insults on these forums, dumbo ?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 22:12

Shouldn't you be spending more time with your grandson instead of spouting your nonsense and your insults on these forums, dumbo ?
    MYOFB. I at least try to engage in discussion, rather than simply flamming people's posts because I have a childish personal vendetta against them. Grow up, loser.
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 22:14
    MYOFB. I at least try to engage in discussion, rather than simply flamming people's posts because I have a childish personal vendetta against them. Grow up, loser.

Do you smoke pot, genius ?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 22:26

Would it make God jealous if I did? That is the topic of the thread; do you have ANYTHING to offer regarding the topic of the thread or do you just want to keep flamming in violation of the TOS?
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 11:12

Genesis 1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 12:16
    God loves us and is jealous if the Devil runs off with us. If you loved somebody wouldn't you be jealous if somebody else ran off with the person? Besides, don't get confused, Godly jealousy is different to human jealousy.
  14. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 12:19
    Isn't jealousy a sin?
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 12:28
    Originally posted by Alpha10
    Isn't jealousy a sin?
    As far as I know human jealousy is a sin.

Do you think Paul was sinning when he wrote this:

2 Corinthians 11:2 - For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree