1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 15:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    We all have violated the laws of God. When we read them, we should either feel condemned or convicted, preferably convicted to change.

As Mark Twain aptly put, who rejected Christianity BTW, "It does not bother me what I don't understand in the Bible, rather, it is what I do understand that bothers me."
    You have misunderstood me. I was asking for an actual example or examples of you having done what you were talking about.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 15:02
    Originally posted by whodey

The trick is leaving your own personal bias behind and embracing God's world view.
    Trick or illusion?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 16:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    But just because you and Suzianne happen to disagree on points of Christian doctrine, why would you agree with vivify that she is "right on the edge tossing their religious beliefs out the window"?
    absolutely
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 16:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, if by "Its all about you isn't FMF" you mean I was expressing my own opinion in this discussion, then yes, it's true, I was expressing my own opinion. I feel like my point has simply been met with one of your stock doesn't-matter-what-the-topic-is retorts.
    You misunderstand me, its all egocentric now that you have dispensed with your Christianity. everything now relates to you. You have become the prism through which light shines, you are the standard by which you accept or reject ideas, its your morality that you are professing, everything relates to you, its a completely subjective approach.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 16:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You misunderstand me, its all egocentric now that you have dispensed with your Christianity. everything now relates to you. You have become the prism through which light shines, you are the standard by which you accept or reject ideas, its your morality that you are professing, everything relates to you, its a completely subjective approach.
    Haven't you frequently claimed that you are a free moral agent? Your decision that it is somehow morally sound to subscribe to and subject yourself to Christian ideology is a subjective one. But if you need ancient Hebrew mythology and its offshoot to prevent you from engaging in morally unsound behaviour, then I welcome it.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 16:37
    The irony is sir you are complimenting FMF and don't even know it.

The fellow is free from the shackles of religion, free to accept or reject ideas, free to make up his own mind based on experience and reason, free from the threat of eternal damnation if he doesn't believe what he is told to believe.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 16:41
    ...its your morality that you are professing, everything relates to you, its a completely subjective approach.
    I think you'll find that morality essentially relates to how we interact with others. Isn't that true for you too?
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 17:31
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    The Bible is not coherent , It was written by many authors over many years that had markedly differing conceptions of God and the will of God. As such, the Bible is filled with inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. Though most refuse to admit it, they pick and choose the verses and passages that support their beliefs and dismiss thos ...[text shortened]... nly thing that they are "tossing...out the window" are the beliefs of fundamentalist Christians.
    There are bible passages directly claiming that gays are to be put to death, that women should be in "all subjection" to their husbands and not hold authority over men, and verses teaching that men are not to be feminine (which, obviously, would include changing gender from male to female).

I'm sure you've seen those verses before since they're not obscure, especially on forums where religion is debated. Being pro-gay and trans rights, and being feminist, definitely clash with biblical teaching.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 19:422 edits
    The Bible is not coherent , It was written by many authors over many years that had markedly differing conceptions of God and the will of God.

Take three major authors of three of the 66 books in the Bible.
    Show us your absolutely strongest case of differing conceptions of God and the will of God.

Don't leave your strongest examples for latter on. Give us your strongest examples from the start.

And if you're above talking to me, just pretend for a moment that someone else asked you.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 19:59
    Originally posted by vivify
    There are bible passages directly claiming that gays are to be put to death, that women should be in "all subjection" to their husbands and not hold authority over men, and verses teaching that men are not to be feminine (which, obviously, would include changing gender from male to female).

I'm sure you've seen those verses before since they're not obscu ...[text shortened]... d. Being pro-gay and trans rights, and being feminist, definitely clash with biblical teaching.
    You don't seem to have understood the point of my post. I suggest you read it again.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 20:06
    Originally posted by sonship
    The Bible is not coherent , It was written by many authors over many years that had markedly differing conceptions of God and the will of God.

Take three major authors of three of the 66 books in the Bible.
    Show us your absolutely [b] strongest
    case of differing conceptions of God and the will of God.

Don't leave you ...[text shortened]... And if you're above talking to me, just pretend for a moment that someone else asked you.[/b]
    C'mon jaywill. We've been through this before. The time that sticks out in my mind was the time that you finally admitted - after a long string of posts going off on incoherent rants and tangents - that what I showed you was contradictory. Then you said something to the effect that even though they were contradictory, you believed they were both true. I can't see going through that again. Your reading comprehension is poor as is your ability to reason.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 20:105 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 21:013 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    The irony is sir you are complimenting FMF and don't even know it.

The fellow is free from the shackles of religion, free to accept or reject ideas, free to make up his own mind based on experience and reason, free from the threat of eternal damnation if he doesn't believe what he is told to believe.
    I reject your absurd claim of complimenting FMF! Meism and a completely egocentric perspective is not to be lauded, infact it may produced an individual that is almost incapable of objective rational debate because everything and I mean everything is funnelled through the ego and comes out grotesquely distorted.

I cannot speak for all religions but for those who adhere to the Christian way its a matter of great freedom, look at all the issues that we a freed from, politics, warmongering, irrational prejudices, extreme nationalism, none of these have any hold on the Christian who practices the teachings of the Christ, infact through its application Jehovahs witnesses have brought former enemies together, Israelis and Palestinians, former gangsters, members of the IRA, Serbs and ethnic Albanians, You cant touch that with your pretensions of freedom, you dont know what freedom is having never tasted it!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 21:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think you'll find that morality essentially relates to how we interact with others. Isn't that true for you too?
    No I prefer to try to detach myself from morality if possible, it appears to me to cloud many issues and in many instances is entirely unnecessary, especially for objective rational debate.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 12:254 edits
    C'mon jaywill.

No, C'mon ThinkOfOne. Give your strongest cases.

We've been through this before.

Then it should be easy for you.
    Your three strongest examples ?

The time that sticks out in my mind was the time that you finally admitted - after a long string of posts going off on incoherent rants and tangents - that what I showed you was contradictory.

C'mon ThinkOfOne. Stop stalling.

I didn't ask for your three favorite red herrings.

Then you said something to the effect that even though they were contradictory, you believed they were both true. I can't see going through that again. Your reading comprehension is poor as is your ability to reason.

I didn't say in this thread that there were no contradictions did I ?
    I simply ASKED you to give me your three strongest examples.

I'm out on a limb. Show everybody you can answer.

Instead of referring to some vague past rolled off discussion, it should be easy for you to rattle off your strongest examples here.

If you can't and instead employ destractions, red herrings, excuses, fuzzy references to past threads, copycat comments about reading comprehension, we assume you cannot
    backup your own grandstanding.

66 Books - three different authors - most striking examples of conflicting concepts of God and God's will - ???

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree