1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 01:461 edit
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vcrT4-7AiuY

If you don't watch the video at least read the comments.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 03:011 edit
    Liberal Christians like Suzianne fascinate me, because they are right on the edge tossing their religious beliefs out the window.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 03:301 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    Liberal Christians like Suzianne fascinate me, because they are right on the edge tossing their religious beliefs out the window.
    I agree she seems "right on the edge" a lot of the time, but that's just her style of interacting with people in an online environment. I see no reason to think she will toss her religious beliefs out the window. She believes that a supernatural being is going to end the world as we know it in her lifetime and destroy billions of people while He's at it. I think it's sincere. That's underwear nailed to the mast right there.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 04:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    I agree she seems "right on the edge" a lot of the time, but that's just her style of interacting with people in an online environment. I see no reason to think she will toss her religious beliefs out the window. She believes that a supernatural being is going to end the world as we know it in her lifetime and destroy billions of people while He's at it. I think it's sincere. That's underwear nailed to the mast right there.
    She also believes in gay and transgender rights, in addition to being a hardcore feminist; all of which put her add odds with biblical teachings.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 06:36
    She also believes in gay and transgender rights, in addition to being a hardcore feminist; all of which put her add odds with biblical teachings.
    I've never thought of 'believing things that are at odds with each other' as being a barrier to religionists believing what they believe.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 07:111 edit
    And is a staunch supporter of the death penalty, so not all that liberal.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 08:042 edits
    yes its like someone at a spiritual buffet, picking those elements which appeal to them and rejecting those that don't. Its mesim on a spiritual level.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 08:072 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I've never thought of 'believing things that are at odds with each other' as being a barrier to religionists believing what they believe.
    FMF the great spiritual buffet king! rejected Christianity and has become the very thing he hoped to avoid. Its all about you isn't FMF, you missed the entire point of Christianity that its based on self sacrifice and you have exchanged it for mesim! me me me me me me me!
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 08:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes its like someone at a spiritual buffet, picking those elements which appeal to them and rejecting those that don't.
    But just because you and Suzianne happen to disagree on points of Christian doctrine, why would you agree with vivify that she is "right on the edge tossing their religious beliefs out the window"?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 08:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    FMF the great spiritual buffet king! rejected Christianity and has become the very thing he hoped to avoid. Its all about you isn't FMF, you missed the entire point of Christianity that its based on self sacrifice and you have exchanged it for mesim! me me me me me me me!
    Well, if by "Its all about you isn't FMF" you mean I was expressing my own opinion in this discussion, then yes, it's true, I was expressing my own opinion. I feel like my point has simply been met with one of your stock doesn't-matter-what-the-topic-is retorts.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 11:113 edits
    Originally posted by RBHILL

I don't think a liberal Christian is created or a conservative Christian is created in the sense I think is usually meant.

I think a man has certain survival skills and ideological outlooks. They make up his national philosophy. They make up much of his domestic logic. He has relied upon these views for much of his life.

Then he becomes a Christian and must learn to live by Christ the living One. Since he is used to living by his philosophy (whatever it may be) it is a life long learning process to live Christ.

The former "baggage" comes along with the believer. Sometimes certain aspects of Christ's teaching remind him of his previous ideology. He can often be very proud of that "baggage".

"You see? Jesus was like me in my philosophy."

Paul learned to count all of his former "baggage" as dung in comparison to living Christ in Philppians. Eventually, he will come to see that to live Christ, to allow Christ to live through him, is not the same as human philosophy. Christ does the right thing in the right way at the right time. And flexibility in Him leads to an all-fitting life, able to be victorious in any circumstances.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 11:593 edits
    The Bible is not coherent , It was written by many authors over many years that had markedly differing conceptions of God and the will of God. As such, the Bible is filled with inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. Though most refuse to admit it, they pick and choose the verses and passages that support their beliefs and dismiss those that don't. This is true of both "liberal" Christians and fundamentalist Christians.

That said, "liberal" Christians are no more "at odds with biblical teachings" than fundamentalist Christians and there is no reason to believe that they are any more "right on the edge [of] tossing their religious beliefs out the window". The only thing that they are "tossing...out the window" are the beliefs of fundamentalist Christians.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 14:00
    Originally posted by RBHILL

I agree with the sentiment that ones love for God and man should drive ones morality.

The trick is leaving your own personal bias behind and embracing God's world view.

Job is a prime example of what I'm talking about here. We often don't understand why things are the way they are, nor agree with it, but we still refuse to turn from God in spite of it.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 14:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    The trick is leaving your own personal bias behind and embracing God's world view.
    An example of you having done this would be interesting: i.e. a biased view you have left behind and the view that has replaced it.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 14:451 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    An example of you having done this would be interesting: i.e. a biased view you have left behind and the view that has replaced it.
    We all have violated the laws of God. When we read them, we should either feel condemned or convicted, preferably convicted to change.

As Mark Twain aptly put, who rejected Christianity BTW, "It does not bother me what I don't understand in the Bible, rather, it is what I do understand that bothers me."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree