What determines Entrance to heaven

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
28 Jun 07
1 edit

I am personally an agnostic and so i am indifferent as to whether you personally believe in god(s). I am, however, interested in peoples beliefs as far as entrance to heaven is concerned (obviously only if you belive in heaven/hell)

Do you have to be the correct religion?
Do you have to be a good person?
Do you have to not commit sin during your life (or if you have to repent for sins)?
Would your deity mind you being slightly wrong in a couple of aspects of faith?
Do you have to work off your sins in hell? (I know there is a proper name for this but i am too tired to remember)

p

Isle of Skye

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by crsmithers
I am personally an agnostic and so i am indifferent as to whether you personally believe in god(s). I am, however, interested in peoples beliefs as far as entrance to heaven is concerned (obviously only if you belive in heaven/hell)

Do you have to not commit sin during your life ...[text shortened]... k off your sins in hell? (I know there is a proper name for this but i am too tired to remember)
I'm not sure if you were looking for serious replies to this post, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Yes. Jesus said: "No man cometh to the father but by me."
Since all religions contradict each other, only one can possibly be right.

Depends what you mean by a "good person." Christians believe that the requirement for getting to heaven is believing on Jesus; not merely believing that he existed, but believing that he died for sinners. Living a good life will follow naturally from that, and is an evidence that you truly believe in Jesus. So basically, you must be a good person to get to heaven, but you will not get to heaven by virtue of being a good person. Also, being a good person does not mean you will never do anything wrong.

Do you have to not commit sin during your life (or if you have to repent for sins)?

Everyone commits sin. The only person who ever lived that did not commit sin was Jesus. God does look for repentance from sins before he will forgive them. You must have your sins forgiven to get to heaven.

Would your deity mind you being slightly wrong in a couple of aspects of faith?

There are two ways of being wrong about the faith. The first is called error, that is being wrong about something which doesn't enter into the substance of the faith, people who hold error can still get to heaven provided they believe in Jesus. The second way of being wrong is called heresy. This means being wrong about a fundamental aspect of the faith. No-one can get to heaven while holding a heresy.

Do you have to work off your sins in hell? (I know there is a proper name for this but i am too tired to remember)

No. The word you are looking for is purgatory. This is a non-existant place, invented by the Roman Catholic Church. Christians (i.e. Protestants) Only believe in heaven and hell and believe that both are eternal. When you die you either go to heaven or hell, and you remain in whichever one you go to, forever.

The Bible says, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved."

What have you to lose by believing in Jesus?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Jun 07

Do you have to not commit sin during your life ...[text shortened]... k off your sins in hell? (I know there is a proper name for this but i am too tired to remember)
Princeoforange said it very well.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
29 Jun 07
3 edits

Originally posted by princeoforange
The second way of being wrong is called heresy. This means being wrong about a fundamental aspect of the faith. No-one can get to heaven while holding a heresy.
Do you think Jews -- those who deny that Jesus was the Messiah, a fundamental aspect of Christianity -- go to heaven?

Do you think Catholics-- those who deny that Jesus was the only holy man, a fundamental aspect of Christianity -- go to heaven?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Do you think Jews -- those who deny that Jesus was the Messiah, a fundamental aspect of Christianity -- go to heaven?

Do you think Catholics-- those who deny that Jesus was the only holy man, a fundamental aspect of Christianity -- go to heaven?
According to the bible only those who believe in Jesus go to heaven.
I thought you knew that!

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by josephw
According to the bible only those who believe in Jesus go to heaven.
I thought you knew that!
So, Jews who don't believe in Jesus go to hell, correct?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
So, Jews who don't believe in Jesus go to hell, correct?
No Jesus, no God. Is it too hard to believe?

I'm not trying to avoid your question. I don't like it either.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
29 Jun 07

I think you should give a sermon on how the Jews will burn. There is some tough competition this round, but I think you can run with the big dogs in this category.

E

Moves
29 Jun 07

"im gonna send you to hell cuz im not your best friend nah nah nah"

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by princeoforange
I'm not sure if you were looking for serious replies to this post, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

[b]Do you have to be the correct religion?

Yes. Jesus said: "No man cometh to the father but by me."

Depends ...[text shortened]... Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved."

What have you to lose by believing in Jesus?[/b]
Another daft thing that only you could possibly say....

No! There is no requirement for any of them to be right.

So, God just created the other 4 billion of us to get his jolly fix of sending people to Hell?

What have you to lose by believing in Jesus?

Lots.

Cape Town

Moves
29 Jun 07

Well the first thing would be the existence of heaven. If it doesn't exist you cant get in.

The second is: what enters heaven? According to most Theists that believe in heaven it is not you but some mythological entity called a soul that enters heaven. Don't be fooled into thinking that your soul is you because even a basic quiz of any theist will reveal that that is just a myth they try to push to try to get you to join them. Half of them cant even tell you what a soul is and the other half admit that it is something intangible that you cannot really know anything about (but clearly isn't you).

c

Moves
29 Jun 07

Firstly i would like to say thanks for the word (purgatory), i was kicking myself all day.

Secondly i would like to say i am glad there have been some healthy responses.

"Another daft thing that only you could possibly say....

No! There is no requirement for any of them to be right.

So, God just created the other 4 billion of us to get his jolly fix of sending people to Hell?"

He said ONLY 1 can be right, not that one is right. I would however like to point out that there are certain situations in which one will be a christian but also hold other beliefs which he believes to be true and do not contradict christianity. These people see no problems with several being right in some shape or form. (Someone could easily hold humanist beliefs but feel that after death they will go to an afterlife)

EB

Moves
29 Jun 07

you need the correct set of keys 😏

w

Moves
29 Jun 07
2 edits

What's needed you may ask? Well its simple. First you need a list of all of your good works. However, they must be listed in alphabetical order. Then you must give a list of your "bad deeds" which should also be listed in alphabetical order. Then God chooses whether you go to heaven or hell based upon whether you have more good deeds than bad deeds. Its quite simply really. This is how the religions of the world work.

Or you could become a Christian. Lay your sin at the feet of the cross. I prefer the later. 🙂

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
29 Jun 07

A spiritual holocost can no more be avoided than the holocost of WW2.