1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 15:05
    Originally posted by checkbaitor
    I would have to disagree. The bible does not teach that we all live forever. What it does teach is that those who are "born again" or have accepted Jesus as Lord, will be in the ressurection to life and have eternal life. Those who rejected the Son will be cast in the lake of fire. A careful study will reveal that even this is not forever and ever. Wha ...[text shortened]... will be full of great joy beyond what we can now comprehend. And this will be forever and ever.
    this is not forever and ever

Do you have some portions of scripture to support that, so we can compare notes?
  2. Joined
    10 Apr '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 21:16
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]this is not forever and ever

Do you have some portions of scripture to support that, so we can compare notes?[/b]
    To start with...
    John 3:16
    16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    (NKJ)

"should not perish" those who have eternal life do not perish as opposed to those that do not have eternal life.

I Jn 5:12
    12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

To burn forever and ever you would have to have eternal life, as stated above.

Hell is either SHEOL; HADES; which simply means the grave.
    The lake of fire and GEHENNA is different in the sense that it is some kind of fire unknown to us, but eventually all that go in will "perish" or cease to exist. There is much more on this subject...do you need more?

3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Aug '05 09:591 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaitor
    I would have to disagree. The bible does not teach that we all live forever. What it does teach is that those who are "born again" or have accepted Jesus as Lord, will be in the ressurection to life and have eternal life. Those who re ...[text shortened]... ond what we can now comprehend. And this will be forever and ever.
    Matthew 18:8 - Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

Matthew 19:29 - And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

Matthew 25:41 - Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Matthew 25:46 - And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Luke 16:9 - And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

Luke 18:30 - Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:36 - He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 4:14 - But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

John 5:24 - Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

ohn 6:27 - Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

John 6:40 - And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:47 - Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

John 12:50 - And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

The word "everlasting" is used for both "life" and "fire".
  4. Joined
    10 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Aug '05 20:331 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Matthew 18:8 - Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into [b]everlasting fire.

Matthew 19:29 - And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or ...[text shortened]... r said unto me, so I speak.

The word "everlasting" is used for both "life" and "fire".[/b]
    I know these verses....the problem I believe is the everlasting fire and the notion that it is the same as everlasting life...when in reality it means everlasting separation from God....The reference in the gospels regarding Gehenna was the "garbage" dump. If you understand the culture at the time, garbage was burned...but eventually this garbage would turn to ash and be no more...since gargage was constantly being dumped into gehenna, the fire was continuos...what Jesus implied was eternal separation from everlasting life with God. I forget the name of the figure of speech...but even so, don't you see the contradiction if what you are saying is true?...1 John 5 says that if you don't have the son you do not have life....how can you live forever in hell? You need eternal life. Also this eternal suffering would be a vengance that would not coincide with God's nature...All light and no darkness at all! God is love!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree