1. Joined
    07 Apr '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '05 17:06
    Eternal life, or eternal death?

It scares me senseless to think about it. I can only hope that when it is my time to die, it either comes so quick that I don't know what happens, or I am so sick of life that I welcome death. What do you all think?

(this may be a better questions to ask atheists, because religious people have found a purpose in life, and may not fear death as much)
  2. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Aug '05 17:11
    Originally posted by iamroot

It scares me senseless to think about it. I can only hope that when it is my time to die, it either comes so quick that I don't know what happens, or I am so sick of life that I welcome death. What do you all think?

(this may be a better questions to ask atheists, because religious people have found a purpose in life, and may not fear death as much)
    Personally, I'd like some sort of happy medium. Unforrunately, that seems to be logically impossible.

But take heart: when you die it'll presumably it'll be like before you were born (assuming no eternal life). And that didn't bother you too much then, did it? Given that you weren't around to complain?

3. Joined
    16 Jul '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '05 18:46
    im not really afraid of anything. but like pawnokeyhole said, i kinda agree with it. i think eternal life sounds boreing, one day you would run out of things to do, so i would be more scared of eternal life than eternal death, eternal death isnt bad to me at all.
  4. Joined
    07 Apr '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '05 22:27
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Personally, I'd like some sort of happy medium. Unforrunately, that seems to be logically impossible.

But take heart: when you die it'll presumably it'll be like before you were born (assuming no eternal life). And that didn't bother you too much then, did it? Given that you weren't around to complain?

I agree with you on that. When I argue with christians about the after life i tell them "Think back before you were born. That is what death is like. No heavenly gates, no reincarnation, nothing."
  5. Joined
    10 Apr '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 00:17

Does this mean you don't want a Christian response?
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 00:48

Athiests fear death more? That's a laugh for sure... since it's the Thiests who seem to fear BURNING IN HELL'S FIRES FOR ETERNITY while the Athiest figures they are just dead and gone.

P-
  7. Joined
    16 Jul '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 00:54
    im christian, and its kinda sad for a christian to say they would rather jsut die and stop existing. but i kinda change my mind. what if there is heaven and hell but you get the choice to just stop existing like you were before you were born. if everyone you knew went ot heaven, and you just decide to stop existing, think of how it would make them feel. so i think i am actually more afraid to stop existing cause of how others would feel i guess.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 01:38
    Originally posted by FreaKinGenius
    im christian, and its kinda sad for a christian to say they would rather jsut die and stop existing. but i kinda change my mind. what if there is heaven and hell but you get the choice to just stop existing like you were before you were born. if everyone you knew went ot heaven, and you just decide to stop existing, think of how it would make them feel. so i think i am actually more afraid to stop existing cause of how others would feel i guess.
    Don't worry, some Christians have said God will erase your memory so you don't have to worry about it. You'll even have a front row seat to watch the sinners burn in Hell.

Sweeeeeet.

P-

9. Joined
    16 Jul '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 03:02
    i dont want my memory to be erased. i dont know why, but i dont want it to be, that is selfish if he does refresh your memory.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 03:03
    Originally posted by FreaKinGenius
    im not really afraid of anything. but like pawnokeyhole said, i kinda agree with it. i think eternal life sounds boreing, one day you would run out of things to do, so i would be more scared of eternal life than eternal death, eternal death isnt bad to me at all.
    I don't thnk eternal life will be boring, since those things that cause
    pain and suffering will be done away with. So life will be filled with
    joy, peace, and love forever and ever.
    Kelly
  11. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 08:49
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I don't thnk eternal life will be boring, since those things that cause
    pain and suffering will be done away with. So life will be filled with
    joy, peace, and love forever and ever.
    Kelly
    no conflict. no drama. ever. just everyone getting along with everyone else. sounds pretty boring to me.
  12. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 17:15

The Bible teaches that there is no eternal death. Once we are born (conceived?) we all will live forever. The question before us is where we will live forever. Of course, choosing to live forever without God being present, without all things Godly, without His influence registering at all in our environment and culture, is hell itself. This can be considered eternal death if you want, but it is not like being annihilated or not existing anymore.

Now if you are afraid of death, wouldn't you be better off to find out what those of us who are not afraid of death think, and why? We are all from the same stock, by the way, but those of us who believe have found hope! And we love to share it. We are not worried about the resouces of heaven being spread too thin, and we love others because 'Christ loved us'.

I found these verses which don't address heaven exactly, but refer to the nature of God's love for us. Being with Him forever will not be boring! (see verse 20 below!)

Ephesians 3: 14For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
    20Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,
    according to his power that is at work within us, 21to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 22:13

It depends on the quality of the eternal life. As it is now, I have no idea what the quality would be, so both are equivalent.
  14. Joined
    10 Apr '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 22:16
    Originally posted by chinking58

The Bible teaches that there is no eternal death. Once we are born (conceived?) we all will live forever. The question before us is [b]where
    we will live forever.
    I would have to disagree. The bible does not teach that we all live forever. What it does teach is that those who are "born again" or have accepted Jesus as Lord, will be in the ressurection to life and have eternal life. Those who rejected the Son will be cast in the lake of fire. A careful study will reveal that even this is not forever and ever. What kind of loving God would punish forever with eternal pain and suffering?
    Those who are cast in the lake of fire will burn up, and exist no more. This is not even considered punishment, by my understanding of the scriptures. It is brought on by the unbelievers choice.
    Salvation is free. The verses you quoted from Ephesians are incredible. This section of scripture tells us that paradise will be full of great joy beyond what we can now comprehend. And this will be forever and ever.
  15. England
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 14:52
    i do fear eternal life as i may be in the wrong place

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree