1. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 21:03
    Hi, I just wanted to dip in this forum to share some of my thoughts.

How can you believe in religion when there are a ton of them out there? Like Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Judaism? Doesn't it occur to you that if you were born in some different family that you would follow their religion with just as much assurance as you do now?

There can only be one correct religion, or none of them are correct. Without any evidence, it seems the only logical conclusion you can come to is that neither are correct. I'm not denying that God exists, I just think that if he did, he wouldn't be a "Christian" God etc...

To me religion is a way to live your life, and it is their to explain why stuff happen. In this case, it seems like it is primitive science.

Thought I would let that out...
  2. Joined
    09 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 21:13
    To paraphrase Prof Dawkins -

[in answer to a christian asking why he was an atheist] well you are an aetheist regarding Allah, Zeus, Thor and Quetzlcoatl, I just go one god further.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 21:40
    If Lucifer, God's archenemy, were to retaliate against God for being cast down as a fallen angel, how would he attack God? Do you suppose he would promote many religions? Perhaps attack the credibility of the bible? Perhaps confuse people and promote doubt?....I tell you he is brilliant! Very crafty indeed! And BTW, he has lots of power to do it.
    Just a thought, but probably not true.....but then again, what if it is?😉
  4. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 21:531 edit
    Yes, that is a good point. But isn't that what the other people of other religions are also thinking? "My religion is the correct one, [Christianity] or [Islam] is simply there to confuse us." Try to think in their shoes. Pretend you were born and raised in a different religion. It is exactly the same position that you just described, except it is in favor of their religion.

Who's right, who's wrong? Given that there is nothing to support either religion, why do you still believe? Cause you were raised by parents who happened to believe in the correct religion?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 22:04
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    Yes, that is a good point. But isn't that what the other people of other religions are also thinking? "My religion is the correct one, [Christianity] or [Islam] is simply there to confuse us." Try to think in their shoes. Pretend you were born and raised in a different religion. It is exactly the same position that you just described, except it is in favor ...[text shortened]... believe? Cause you were raised by parents who happened to believe in the correct religion?
    I was. I was born in Puerto Rico and raised Catholic in the US as a child. I no longer consider myself Catholic, but Christian. I have studied other religions and all I can say is, if someone is sincerely seeking the truth, God will direct them to it, regardless of their religion.
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 22:08
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    If Lucifer, God's archenemy, were to retaliate against God for being cast down as a fallen angel, how would he attack God? Do you suppose he would promote many religions? Perhaps attack the credibility of the bible? Perhaps confuse people and promote doubt?....I tell you he is brilliant! Very crafty indeed! And BTW, he has lots of power to do it.
    Just a thought, but probably not true.....but then again, what if it is?😉
    That works, except for your omnipotent, omnibenevolent God, who apparently cannot handle sin in his presence (which is everywhere, being omnipresent).
  7. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 22:20
    I was. I was born in Puerto Rico and raised Catholic in the US as a child. I no longer consider myself Catholic, but Christian. I have studied other religions and all I can say is, if someone is sincerely seeking the truth, God will direct them to it, regardless of their religion.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I don't quite understand this statement. Are you saying that you can find God through any religion as long as you sincerely believe in it? If so, this is against what I've known as a former Christian. I thought you had to believe in Jesus and that he died for our sins in order to make it to heaven. Since other religions don't do this, it is clear you will go to hell.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 22:34
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I don't quite understand this statement. Are you saying that you can find God through any religion as long as you sincerely believe in it? If so, this is against what I've known as a former Christian. I thought you had to believe in Jesus and that he died for our sins in order to make it to heaven. Since other religions don't do this, it is clear you will go to hell.
    I am saying that if you sincerely seek God with all your heart, He will lead you to Jesus Christ, regardless of your religion.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 22:36
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    That works, except for your omnipotent, omnibenevolent God, who apparently cannot handle sin in his presence (which is everywhere, being omnipresent).
    He has handled sin in the person of Jesus Christ. What you see in the world today is Lucifers work. It is only temporary...
  10. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 22:45
    Ok, what if some guy said this...

I am saying that if you sincerely seek God with all your heart, He will lead you to [Islam], regardless of your religion.

Who is right? You or him? How do you know?
  11. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 23:04
    Another point I don't understand. You said you studied other religions and chose Christianity. Are you sure God directed you toward it, or did you make the choice yourself? Why do you insist that your life is driven by supernatural events? Is not reality good enough?

My question is, did you chose Christianity on reason, or did God chose it for you?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 23:19
    Ok, what if some guy said this...

I am saying that if you sincerely seek God with all your heart, He will lead you to [Islam], regardless of your religion.

Who is right? You or him? How do you know?
    You will know....that is where I'll leave it.🙂
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 23:19
    Another point I don't understand. You said you studied other religions and chose Christianity. Are you sure God directed you toward it, or did you make the choice yourself? Why do you insist that your life is driven by supernatural events? Is not reality good enough?

My question is, did you chose Christianity on reason, or did God chose it for you?
    See above...
  14. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 23:21
    Alright, thanks for your time, I will keep searching.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 23:55
    He has handled sin in the person of Jesus Christ. What you see in the world today is Lucifers work. It is only temporary...
    Em, but sin is still in his presence. Not something an omniscience, omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent God would allow.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree