1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 00:25
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    You will know....that is where I'll leave it.🙂
    that's a cop-out... you couldnt answer so you tried to leave it on a wise remark which fell flat
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 00:26
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Em, but sin is still in his presence. Not something an omniscience, omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent God would allow.
    So is Satan...that is the purpose of the "end times". For now, He has enpowered, if you will, His people with holy spirit. This power or "dunamis" in the greek, enables us to resist the evil one. It also helps us live a holy or sinless life, to be more and more like Jesus. Some are in the early stages, some stop growing altogether, which would explain weak Christians. Even a Christian, if he does not study and pray etc. will be deceived, tempted, etc.
    But the sin you see in the world is due to the god of this world, namely Satan.

I Jn 5:19
    19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.
    (NKJ)

As I said, he is very powerful, and no human can outsmart him or deal with him, without the power of holy spirit. And even then one has to understand what he is doing. We must know what God has promised. We must know that He is faithful and always ready to help or intervene. But as I look around, people are trying to cast God out of the US. Out of schools, etc. There is a lot of doubt as to what God can do. If this nation as a whole would repent, you would see many miraculous things. God would act. He does in my personal life.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 00:35
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    that's a cop-out... you couldnt answer so you tried to leave it on a wise remark which fell flat
    No its not. That is the truth. You want proof. Jesus said to some unbelievers who wanted proof, that if he were to raise someone from the dead in front of their eyes, they still would not believe. Faith comes by hearing the word of God alone, not by miracles. When any man or woman sincerely and humbly comes to God with a true heart to know Him, I don't care if they have doubt, or what they have done, He will reveal Himself. The problem is, not too many really care. There are many on this forum just passing the time away, who could care less about God. This is entertainment for them. Are you one of those?....As I said only you and God will know if He is real or not. Consider these verses....

Jer 9:23-24
    23 Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
    24 But let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the LORD.
    (NKJ)

The word "glory" can be translated "boast" in todays english....
  4. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 04:57
    I just want to reiterate that this is the reason why I simply cannot believe any religion. Perhaps there are more reasons but this one is definately troublesome. If you have helpful advice please don't hesitate to post.

From what I understand, religion can't be proven right or wrong. So I have tons of religions to follow but I'm not sure which one is correct, if any. So it looks like I'm at a dead end. I just don't get it. 🙁
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 05:30
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    Hi, I just wanted to dip in this forum to share some of my thoughts.

How can you believe in religion when there are a ton of them out there? Like Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Judaism? Doesn't it occur to you that if you were born in some different family that you would follow their religion with just as much assurance as you do now?

T ...[text shortened]... en. In this case, it seems like it is primitive science.

Thought I would let that out...
    There can only be one correct religion, or none of them are correct.

Or—none of them are wholly correct, and more than one are partially correct...

What exactly is it you’re looking for? Certainty? Security? Escape from the existential necessity of decision? Eternal life?

What promises do you want from a religion, or a religious philosophy? What proofs for the promise? Does it have to be a religion with a God, or a particular understanding of what such a God is?

Suppose I were to say, with the Buddha, that there is a way out of mental anguish in life? Is that enough? Is that what you’re looking for?

What would a “correct” religion look like to you? If you found a religious expression that seemed the most reasonable to you, would that be enough? What would it need to offer for you to take a risk on it? Or at least to study?

All the same questions could be asked vis-à-vis any philosophy for living—religious or non-religious.
  6. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 05:491 edit
    Actually, I don't think I'm looking for anything. I just can't comprehend how so many people believe in religion when I just don't see any logic behind it. So you could say I'm just curious.

From what I understand, most people believe in religion to find purpose. Yet, I don't get why you need God in the picture to have purpose. I don't understand why we need to believe in the supernatural for the stuff that is unexplainable at this moment in time.

What would the correct religion be to me? That is a difficult question. I will think this over so I don't screw up my answer 🙂

I guess for starters, I'm not sure if my philosophy of living can be religious. That would require me to believe or have faith, and that means to throw logic out the window. Am I wrong in thinking this?
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 06:20
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    Actually, I don't think I'm looking for anything. I just can't comprehend how so many people believe in religion when I just don't see any logic behind it. So you could say I'm just curious.

From what I understand, most people believe in religion to find purpose. Yet, I don't get why you need God in the picture to have purpose. I don't understand why we ...[text shortened]... have faith, and that means to throw logic out the window. Am I wrong in thinking this?
    I think throwing logic out the window is a mistake. I don’t think you have to believe anything that cannot be reasonably tested. On the other hand—just to give you something to ponder on—I don’t think somebody needs to logically test Beethoven in order to appreciate it, and make it part of their life.

But now that I have a bit of a better idea where you’re coming from, why don’t you read a bit in Zen Buddhism. Or Stephen Batchelor’s Buddhism Without Beliefs. Or the Tao Te Ching.

I don’t call myself a Buddhist. Nor am I a theist—I am a monist, or non-dualist. I find expression of the “perennial philosophy” in most of the religions, including Christianity—though sometimes it is considered heretical. What I believe, I do not believe on the basis of any requirement.

On the other hand, I am not saying that any religious expression needs to be part of your life in order for you to live joyfully, richly, fully and well...
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 00:09
    I once heard a story of a young student searching for God when he came upon a monk. He approached the monk with his quest. The monk led the student to a pool of water and they both went in the water waist high. The monk submerged the student under the water and held him there until the student was fighting vehemently trying to get a gasp of air. Finally at the last moment before the student drowned, the monk raised him up. Of course the student was gasping for air and after a few minutes when he regained his composure, the student asked "what the hell did you do that for"? The monk calmly replied, " when you search for God and want Him as much as you wanted that breath of air, you will find Him". That is my point.

Prov 2:1-5
    1 My son, if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within you,
    2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding;
    3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding,
    4 If you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures;
    5 Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
    (NKJ)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree